It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your first gun?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

The M1A is the rifle I'd like to have, but at $1,600 on average for them
now it is way out of my price range.

It is the legal civilian version of the M-14, an awesome weapon, and
is still used by some snipers in the military.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iseekthetruth!!!!!!!!
reply to post by Iseekthetruth!!!!!!!!

Well heck. I need something for bigger game.
So is there anything you could recommend for someone like Me, never having shot a gun I mean.

Really I think the 10/22 is the best place to start. For about $200 brand new you get possibly the best training weapon in the world. The ammo is dirt cheap. 500 rounds cost $69.99 and comes with a free dry storage box at Cabela's.

ammo

Once you get used to that then move up. A shotgun might not cost more than a 10/22 new. However, the ammo is much more expensive. Plus the recoil and power make for a longer learning process. You will spend a lot of money on ammo before you are proficient. If you have a solid base you can cut that training and ammo cost considerably.

12 gauge ammo usualy runs about $0.75 to $2.00 per round. Most of the time you only get the cheaper price if buying in bulk.

In other words start with a 10/22 and then move up to something more powerful.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

That's awfully expensive for .22LR ammunition. Bulk ammunition at Walmart usually runs about $15 per 500.

Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with a .22 at all, in fact, most people underestimate what they are capable of. A beginner has to be a little careful of its tendency to ricochet, but millions of gun owners had one as their first firearm.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

I just picked the first box of bulk I saw at Cabela's. CCI segmented hollow points.

I have used the Winchester wild cat bulk before. It sales for $21.99 at Cabela's. Unfortunately I had about a 2 or 3 in 15 non fire rate. For simplicity sake say some where around a 15% non fire rate. The same rifle has never failed to fire using CCI stinger hollow points. Even with the cheap CCI bulk ammo ($35 a box) I almost never have a problem. Remington bulk which runs about $20 bucks at Cabela's doesn't give me a lot of problems. No more than one or two in thirty.
(I must add that I haven't used anything but CCI in a few years. Your experiences may vary.)

Just my experience with different ammo. I have no idea what the same ammo cost at Walmart. I haven't shopped there for anything besides prescriptions in years.

When I say buying in bulk I mean 500 rounds. All prices in my post are for 500 rounds of ammo at Cabela's.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Sig Sauer P225. It's a little bit bulkier than I wanted, but I like it. I second the poster that said a shotgun is the way to go in a high stress situation. We have a 12 gauge police issue that I'd go for first if I were trying to fend off an intruder.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I'm surprised if no one mentioned this one but if your looking for a self defense weapon I would highly recommend the Taurus Judge 410/.45 self defense revolver.

It fires a 410 shotgun shell or a .45 bullet.

There is also a Long Barrel version.

The Taurus Judge would also be an ideal survival weapon. It does fire shot but the barrel is rifled so the bullet still has accuracy. The fact that it also fires a shot gun shell is great also. I bet if you scare a pheasant up you could score some dinner with this weapon. Plus it is much lighter weight and much smaller than a shot gun or a rifle.

The "Taurus Judge® " is so named because of the number of judges who carry it into the courtroom for their protection. Capable of chambering both .410 2-1/2" shotshell and .45 Colt Ammunition, this amazing combo gun is ideal for short distances - where most altercations occur, or longer distances with the .45 Colt ammo. We have finely tuned the rifling to spread the shot pattern at close quarters or to guide the .45 cal. bullet to the target. Fully customized with fixed rear sights, fiber optic front sights and Taurus Ribber Grips®, the "Taurus Judge" is one decision-maker that lays down the law.

As for a rifle. I use a .300 Winchester mag. Love it!

[edit on 28-9-2009 by DaMod]

[edit on 28-9-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Start with the Ruger 10/22, you will own it forever and no matter what else you have come back to it again and again.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join