It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American 'Peace Now' Opposes Iran Sanctions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

The American Friends of Peace Now is calling on the United States to increase pressure on Israel while opposing sanctions to force Iran to end its nuclear development activities. In a statement released to the media on Sunday, the organization said that imposing sanctions and setting deadlines to end its nuclear programs were the "wrong policy" for dealing with Iran.[/

Source

I think it's all very well for 'The American Friends of Peace' to come out openly opposing further sanctions on Iran, but are they taking into account the fact that Israel is facing a very real threat to it's very existance?

[edit on 14-9-2009 by savetimerushonline]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Last time i checked it was Israel that had the illegal nuclear weapons,Iran has none.Last time i checked Iran signed the non proliferation treaty,Israel has not.Last time i checked it was Israel beating the war drums every chance they get and trying to scare monger the world by spreading propaganda such as Iran will have a nuclear bomb within months...back in 2005...2006 etc Sanctions don't work anyway,it certainly doesn't help but they are still getting by.In any case it's not Israels existence which is at risk.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

If Israel didn't have Nuclear weapons she would have been wiped out years ago... the only reason Israel is not invaded by her enemies is because of the deterrence of being the only nation in the immediate area who posesses a nuclear arsenal. Once Iran develops the capability to build nukes, this already fragile deterrence will completely disappear, and Israel will be invaded by her many arab enemies.

Why is everyone so quick to attack Israel? The President of Iran has on numerous occasions openly stated completely unacceptable things such as 'Death to Israel'... I mean honestly do you really think it's a good idea to let someone with this kind of thinking build nuclear weapons?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Eye On War

I don't wish to detract from the sentiment of your post, because I mostly agree with you.

But one point I disagree with is this: the reason Israel is still there has nothing to do with their nukes, it's because they have the best trained and equipped military in the region, and when they fight wars its for survival, not for some abstract political goal. Not many other countries can say that.

Also, Israel has never confirmed or denied that they even have nukes. It's all speculation.

Back to the OP, is this group actually related to Peace Now in Israel? Or just using the name? If they're related I have to seriously question their agenda.

Not sure sanctions will do any good mind you, didn't persuade Saddam or Kim Yung Il to turn from the dark side and don't seem to have done much to persuade Iran either.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by savetimerushonline

I read the article you have linked to, and noticed this quote:

Peace Now vehemently opposes the strategy of imposing sanctions in order to [deliberately inflict] "suffering on civilians in the hope that if the people are miserable enough, they will pressure their government to change course."

Ok now my question to Peace Now would be 'what other option is their, apart from the military one'? Do they honestly think that the leaders of Iran are just going to give up their nuclear ambitions after sitting down and having a nice chat with Obama or whomever? No of course their not! They are pursuing nuclear weapon making capability at full throttle, because they know that once they reach it, the balance of power will majorly shift in their favour.

So why not take advantage of the already hostile feelings a large part of the Iranian population are feeling towards their government after the recent elections, and impose crippling sanctions with the goal of causing such anger and unrest in the general population that they rise up in large enough numbers to topple the current regime? I know this sounds harsh and unfair, but some times the end result justifies the means.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Eye On War

It would be great if the international community could come up with another way of forcing a government to behave without resorting to sanctions or violence though wouldn't it?

I think that a lot of people agree that a nuclear armed Iran will be a Very Bad Thing for the region and for the world, so that's not in dispute (from me anyway).

But to be honest I can't think of a single instance where sanctions have done anything but harden and isolate the target government, punish the general population, without achieving any of the intended objectives.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by mattpryor]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Well i doubt sanctions will do much anymore. I mean how many sanctions have they imposed upon Iran by now??? I thought both the USA and Iran had recently agreed to talks? That is a start.

I don't see why Israel and Iran can't have talks. But no....they won't agree to that. To be honest i think they are both as bad as each other in this situation.

In terms of possible military action, I have to try and believe that the Israelis aren't so tapped in the head that they think that attacking Iran will actually make the situation better.

Have they even thought about the consequences? It seems they are willing to pay any price for their "security." But is it worth it???

The United States would be just as foolish themselves if they were to involve themselves.

Even if Iran did get nuclear weapons would they reallly be so stupid as to use them, because surely they must realise that the instant they did they would be annihilated in retribution. Also please nobody mention the whole Iran wanting to wipe Israel off the map. It's over used and i believe it was established that it was in fact a misquote or mistranslation.

I feel these two countries are going to send us to hell in a handbasket.

join