It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Selects Target Crater for Lunar Impact

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Sept. 11, 2009: NASA's Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS) is racing toward a double-impact on the moon at 7:30 am EDT on Oct. 9th. Today NASA announced exactly where the crash will take place.
The target crater is Cabeus A. It was selected after an extensive review of the best places to excavate frozen water at the lunar south pole.

From science.nasa.gov...

I cannot believe they can do this the moon is not there's to bomb what do you think.

THANKYOU

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mars1

It's not like we don't do it to the Earth thousands of times a day!

What's the problem?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

The moon is not the same as the earth my friend we dont know what will happen what IF the moon is occupied

THANKYOU

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
What if the moon is hollow

Possibly the strongest evidence for it to be a 'hollow ob-ject' comes from the fact that when meteors strike the Moon, the latter rings like a bell. More specifically when the Apollo crew in November 20, 1969 released the lunar module, after returning to the orbiter, the module impact with the Moon caused their seismic equipment to register a continuous reverberation like a bell for more than an hour. The same effect occurred with Apollo 13's third stage which caused the Moon to ring for over three hours. So what's going on with the Moon?

FROMwww.redicecreations.com...
There is more to the moon than meets the eye.

THANKYOU

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
It reminds me of the movie "Time Machine", where the protagonist travels to the future and sees an advanced humanity mining the moon which causes it to break up and crash into the Earth, destroying civilization as we know it. Thousands of years later, he wakes up to find that humanity back in the stone age.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mars1

It'll affect them just as much as a small meteorite impact would - and less rather than a dozen nuclear explosions on Earth affected those puny Earthlings

Don't worry. We're not going to blow the Moon up or anything. Not like happened exactly 10 years ago ....... er, well I assume it's coincidence?

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Essan]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

In this case i think i will worry we dont exactly know what is inside that satellite that's going to be crashed into the moon they would never tell us the truth.
There is more to this than they are telling us thats my opinion anyway.

THANKYOU

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Just found this but i dont believe there is no explosives on board they say it will be seen from earth i read somewhere cannot remember where.

LCROSS will create a 6-foot-deep crater inside another crater on the south pole. The moon has suffered much worse from the cosmos, and this latest gouge pales in comparison. Note that there are no explosives on board—the mass of the impact alone is enough to create a plume. Also, the craft will be empty of all fuel before impact, to keep results uncluttered.

FROM www.popularmechanics.com...
There is something fishy about this mission that is my opinion.

THANKYOU

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Found this and was thinking to myself what is the point in bombing the moon if they are not going back

NASA's plans to send a man to the moon and beyond have been derailed by a lack of funds and the US human space program "appears to be on an unsustainable trajectory", a presidential panel said.

FROM www.news.com.au...

THANKYOU

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The "bomb" that they are crashing on the moon is not a bomb in the sense that we think of, it has no explosive warhead on it at all.
The "blast" will be created out of kinetic energy only.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

Do you really believe that because i dont why didn't they get this data when the japanese crashed there's into the moon

THANKYOU

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
ok well w/e then.. even if it is a warhead, who cares?
I think it would be pretty cool to see a giant mushroom cloud rising up from the moons surface after detonating a 10 megaton thermo-nuclear device.
Id wait for a good hi-res pic from hubble, then make it my wallpaper on my laptop.

wait, it actually probably wouldnt create same type of explosion on the moon that it does on earth...
In that case, that would make it even more interesting to see.

[edit on 9/12/2009 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

Hi-res pic from hubble where exactly can we see any pic's of the moon from hubble

And yes it will be a very different explosion than on earth OR WILL IT?
Thank you for your reply's Kr0n0s

THANKYOU

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by mars1
I cannot believe they can do this the moon is not there's to bomb what do you think.

I don't think anybody ever tries to bomb their own property. Our bombs are used to drop on other people's property.

But it is quite a disgrace to do this, I am sure there are other methods of learning about the moon, and as you say, it's the world's and mankind's moon (unless someone else we don't know of lays claim to it from elsewhere) and there's no good reason for this except to flex muscles and show the world that if you can bomb the moon, you can bomb anywhere on Earth too.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mars1

Hi-res pic from hubble where exactly can we see any pic's of the moon from hubble

That was a good question that made me stop and think if id ever actually seen a hubble moon shot before.
apparently, earlier in its life the hubble couldnt shoot the moon due to it being to bright.
Who knows whether thats true or not but it seems they "fixed" that problem and are now able to do it..

here are a cpl of links

hubble

enterprise

and youre welcome

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

Thanks for that because after your post about hubble pic's i started looking again thanks for the links ill have a look.

Edit to say i had a look they do not look good are these from hubble i think not they surely would look better than this.

THANKYOU

[edit on 103030p://2009-09-12T10:53:41-05:00129 by mars1]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

Can't beleive this got a star...

But it is quite a disgrace to do this, I am sure there are other methods of learning about the moon

You apparently are not aware that MANY Human-built spacecraft have already been intentionally crashed onto the Lunar surface for science.

(BTW, it is not "bombing"...can we finally stop using that term?)

...and as you say, it's the world's and mankind's moon (unless someone else we don't know of lays claim to it from elsewhere)...

Yes, and China and Japan have already had spacecraft crash onto the Moon, as has the old USSR.

...and there's no good reason for this except to flex muscles and show the world that if you can bomb the moon, you can bomb anywhere on Earth too.

Where DO you get these ideas?!? Do you NOT remember to old MiR?? SpaceLab??? THEY each de-orbited, and had to be allowed to crash into the Earth. Of course, they were planned to impact into the Oceans.

Someday the ISS will have to come down, too.

There are plenty of other items in orbit....INTENTIONALLY causing them to de-orbit and drop on a target occupied by Humans would result in IMMEDIATE world condemnation!!! Repercussions that would likely lead to wars....

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Edit to say i had a look they do not look good are these from hubble i think not they surely would look better than this.

I felt the same way about them.. they dont look that great at all, I wouldve thought that you could see a penny on the moon with the hubble.

Actually, you probably can, IF they wanted us to see that much detail.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

No, Hubble was not made for that, it was made to take photos of far away subjects.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwacker

So can you say there is no bomb on there do you know this i dont think so.
And like you said they have crashed many things into the moon but could they be seen from earth this one apparently will be seen from earth there is more then just a satellite coming down if you think about it.

THANKYOU

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join