It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do bad things happen to good people.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
without the bad.. the good wouldnt be as good.

we all need a little trouble in our lives. perfection has never been accomplished by mankind because lets face it... perfection is boring. we could easily achieve it if we wanted it.. but we dont. the sweet wouldnt taste as sweet without the sour. you dont know love until you know hate. etc etc.

as much as we all say we want peace, we really just want that balance of good and bad in our lives.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by teapot
Animals are susceptible too. An animal is capable of killing for revenge or for the pleasure of the hunt and the kill eg domestic cats. An animal is also capable of 'deadly sins' eg greed, envy or jealousy eg pet dogs. Perhaps this behaviour is learned from humans but I've heard of revenge bent wolves, chimpanzees; even dolphins are thought to kill (infanticide at that!) for fun.

I'm not saying animals don't have emotions, but are they self aware, and are they capable of understanding good and bad actions? If they are then maybe it is time for them to leave the Garden of Eden too. When a highly intelligent killer whale plays baseball with a seal does the killer whale have the ability to determine whether that act is good or bad?

When Adam and Eve left the Garden of Eden they were ashamed of their nakedness and so put on cloths hence they became self aware. This is a fantastic metaphor of the evolution of man and how we finally evolved into self aware beings capable of free will by choosing either good or evil actions.

I can’t say there are any animals at the Adam and Eve stage just yet of their development though.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Well i for one know what you mean by the title .. in my eyes & a lot of other peoples eyes I'm a good person i give money away even when i most need it but others need it more I'm always helping people & such but the last 2 month has been really bad because i was addicted to World of Warcraft & my computer got virused i was still able to play & such but then someone hacked my account & sold it online well im guessing they did me a favour there but everything keeps going downhill on me
my life gets worst by the day the other day i nearly broke my rib
but in the end life's a b__ch & we have to live with it

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by UfoRevealer
Well i for one know what you mean by the title .. in my eyes & a lot of other peoples eyes I'm a good person i give money away even when i most need it but others need it more I'm always helping people & such but the last 2 month has been really bad because i was addicted to World of Warcraft & my computer got virused i was still able to play & such but then someone hacked my account & sold it online well im guessing they did me a favour there but everything keeps going downhill on me
my life gets worst by the day the other day i nearly broke my rib
but in the end life's a b__ch & we have to live with it

they did you a favor...

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
Well what is bad and what is good? Events that happen in your life are just events, and it is you who determine whether they are bad or good, but they are neither. Where good and bad comes into play is in your own personal actions and thoughts. You can choose to help that old lady across the street or push her in front of a car, or just ignore her in her time of need. Life experiences are neutral, just like dying is neutral.

So you assert it doesn't matter whether someone lived as Adolf Hitler or as Mother Theresa? Just consider yourself a good fellow - no matter how we really behaved - and everything will be fine? Are you serious?

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeepSea
So you assert it doesn't matter whether someone lived as Adolf Hitler or as Mother Theresa? Just consider yourself a good fellow - no matter how we really behaved - and everything will be fine? Are you serious?

No....

Your actions can be good or evil based on your choice. Hitler was an evil man because his free willed choices were evil. Evil only lurks in the heart of man. To look at experiences that happen to you as either good or bad/evil is really just the way you look at them, and what is bad to you might not be to someone else… it’s all personal perspective. When in reality they are just experiences in your life that are not good or evil…just life experiences, so when someone says why does God allow evil things to happen it is like saying why does God allow life to happen.

[edit on 11-9-2009 by Xtrozero]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Azen thorhammer

Because bad people don't like good people.....they are jealous and envious of good people, so they set out to bring good people down.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
oooh this question have been bothering me since forever!
I'm an stupidly good person (my friends always say they want to spank me because I'm too good with others and I don't care too much for myself)... And I've had a terrible life.

I can't deny that sometimes i swear a lot because my luck is the worst. Sometimes I also claim to have been Hitler or an equivalent on a past life... but in the inside I don't care too much. I see life as an obstacle race, and who knows if there's a good price at the end! (hopefully not at the very end, that's death hahaha!)

A little more good luck wouldn't be bad anyway

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Bad things happen to help good things happen; bad things happen to make way for good. Without the bad how could you ever have "good"? You'd be a cesspool of sad flesh that never learns anything new in which to improve yourself from.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
My question is, why do good things happen to bad people?

Could it be that the world has been set in motion, and that the rain will fall on good and bad alike?

Could it be that the rewards for good are not always immediate?

And payments for bad not concurrent with their behavior?

I mean, look at Obama.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I believe that when bad things happen to good people the unfortunate events are actually good things in disguise. Every bad event leads to an equally good discovery/event. The good people will realize this while the bad people will be blind to the good hiding within the bad and continue on their path.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Bad things happen to good people because we do not live in a world run by fairies, and if for some crazy reason I am wrong, the laws they have put forth on us still say otherwise.

What you see as bad is what I see as a lesson learned, and a lesson learned makes me happy.

Losing a close friend, being diagnosed with cancer, losing a limb, all do not have to put pressure on your life. You are only as oppressed as you let yourself be. I am not claiming superman powers and say I do not ever cry if one of the above events would happen to me, but people hold on to the strings a bit to long.

I just want to summarize all of this and say that YOU decide what is good and bad...not the world around you.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I have heard that the good ones leave before they go bad, and the bad ones stay so they can become good.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Why do bad things happen to good people ?

17 month old baby. Tortured for 12 months of its life by its parents and its parents friends

Baby dies at 17 months. It's skull and back were broken by the adults who supposedly loved it. The baby's internal organs were a mess and its body was covered in wounds and burns, some healed. Everyone obliged and paid to protect that child had failed it. It died in agony, no friends, despite being surrounded by adults who'd caused the baby's suffering

Why did the 'bad things' happen to that baby? At age 17 months, was the baby not 'good' ?

I'm hoping one of the philosphers here will explain it

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azen thorhammer
....God would be 99%. Moral love, order etc. Satan would be the infinite 1 percent. hate, chaos, destruction of consciousness....

DISCLAIMER: Im just taking advantage of this quote. It's not a response to what the author has posted. This is simply an opinion using what the author has mentioned in the topic.

------------
Okay!

Now I wouldn't say God doesn't have those other traits as well. You can obviously see in the Old testament that God is also a master of Chaos and destruction.

I mean, what kind of consciousness doesn't have traits of both sides?

The whole God vs satan thing is just a battle between two sides. And God just so happens to be the creator and master of he universe.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I have been questioning this in my sleepless nights since I've posted here and finally it started to make sense. That and your answers too, thanks!.

I was thinking about good things that happens to bad people (the opposite of the original thread). And... what are THOSE good things, in our eyes? At least on mine, people who don't have economical issues, major health issues, study issues (like not being able to pay a career), the handsome men/women they want... a nice family, etc.
Ok, i owe money to 3 banks for my studies, i have a thyroid issue that's f***ing my life time to time, i don't have money to buy materials for my career too (currently i have a BF that's so cute and a very nice and truly good person btw). And my family, in one word, sucks.

BUT! what do i have in exchange: I have learned to live by my own. I don't depend of anything or anyone to survive (MAYBE internet... just... maybe) because my mom was a workaholic before and i learned how to cook and do home chores by my own when i was 8 y.o. I had everything for a while, when i was on my old career that i finished hating, but now i love my new career because of the big amount of effort i needed to get a full scholarship. And also i know how to reach the same results, if not better, than my classmates with the minimal quantity and quality of fabrics/paints/pencils/etc. (i'm studying fashion design) I developed this big hunger of knowledge because my mom wasn't able to afford an Atari or a computer for me because we were so poor on my childhood. She bought me books instead... and instead of toys, i used my imagination.

Moral of the story? Good people do have good things too, but different ones. We're most spiritual because we have surpassed things they never do, that are, indeed, important for a lot of us, like adaptation to another environments, circumstances, having an open mind and, the most important for me, imagination and capability to endure and resist every dash of this beautiful life with dignity and keep being happy after that.

geez, i need to sleep hahaha, my english neuron isn't working properly by this time, sorry if something sounded crappy

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join