It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I guess this was a UFO I saw...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
...well its unidentified so it must be.

(Just a note, I spent the lst 15 mins typing this thread up only to somehow be logged out when I clicked "post" and lost the lot...not happy lol. I will try and make sure I dont miss anything out.)

I wasnt sure whether to post this or not, and its pretty minor and I dont have any pics/videos - all I had to hand was my camera phone and the camera isnt good enough. Ive decided to post it though as I cannot come up with a reasonable explanation on my own.

Im in Southern England, and the last week of August, early hours of Friday morning (2am ish) I could not sleep. I was laying, looking out the window as I usually do when I cant sleep. My bed is parrallel to the window, and I have the curtains back and windows open at this time of year. So my view is basically this -

Can just about make out there are some clouds in the sky, but nothing major. Then suddenly I see what I assume to be a star, just "appear" from nowhere. Thought nothing of it as was thinking a cloud just moved and now its visible. I was proven wrong when this "star" started moving in a vertical direction through the sky, rather slowly. I sat up and made sure I wasnt seeing things, but there it was, going up. Then it disappeared, and it didnt reappear. So something like this -

Now there is an airport about half hour's drive away, but Ive been here enoguh years to know an aeroplane on sight, and also what flight paths they use. They only ever go in these directions across the sky (basically "in line" with my house). They dont fly over my house in any way.

Even if you consider maybe it was a plane for some reason going in a totally "foreign" direction, it would have to be literally going straight up, which planes just dont do.

So its not a star, and its not a plane, or any other kind of aircraft I'm familair with - so does anyone have any explanation, even if its something simple I've overlooked?

I hope someone finds this of interest, like I say its not overly interesting just something I can't explain. Any questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Oh, and sorry for the dodgy drawings!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Sounds like you saw a satellite.

But I honestly couldn't tell you exactly what it was without having any photos or video of it.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by johnmhinds]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
There is a good chance it was a satellite. I say this because;

- They travel in straight lines across the night sky at a relatively slow speed.

- They fade in and out of view when light reflects on them. This usually manifests as them fading into view at a point in the sky, travelling a distance across the sky, then gradually becoming less bright until they disappear.

- They often look exactly like stars.

The fact that it moved 'vertically' is not so important, as they are *much* higher than planes, so their trajectory can have a weird look to people viewing with the naked eye.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by BeingFollowed

For how long did the sighting last?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I too think it was probably a satellite. I spend quite a bit of time watching them and they do act as you describe. When a satellite moves into the sunlight (although the sunlight is coming from the other side of the earth) it will seem to suddenly "appear" when in actuality, all it is doing is reflecting light. This can very well make it appear to be moving up.

Now, I didn't see what you saw so I very well could be wrong, but try to go out on a clear night and watch for satellites, if you haven't before. When you see one (there are MANY up there and you'll probably see one within a few minutes) see if it acts like what you saw.

One thing that does make me wonder though is that there usually aren't all that many satellites visible at around 2 a.m. where I'm at in the States, because of the earth's shadow, so that's a bit odd. It may be different for different locations though... I'm not sure about that part.

[edit on 9/10/2009 by gemineye]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Ah thanks guys, never even considered a satellite, sound slikely though from the descriptions given. Thought it might be something simple!

Tifozi, it lasted probably somewhere between 30-45 seconds I'd say.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Provably a satellite. The time of duration, movement, etc, are all consistant with a satellite.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Thanks, glad I made this thread now, and feel a bit silly for holding off on posting it

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Don't.

I can only talk for myself, but I rather read and answer this kind of threads, where someone is honest about what they saw and help ID the UFO, than the garbage threads that repeat themselfs or is just someone trying to get some attention.

new topics

top topics

join