It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can you hear during silence?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
When it is dead silent i can still hear things, like humming, and other strange noises, it is never truly silent, so am i hearing the blood going through my head or something?

I cant explain whats its like, its strange i hear a constant drone then i hear a high pitched beeeeeeeeep for about 10 seconds then it goes away and keeps on humming.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

For me there is no such thing, my mind is like a crowded shopping mall of thoughts, there is no peace.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
i get that :/

i don't know what it is either, every night i go to sleep i get this really high pitched noice then it just hums, but i can here other things to :/

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   

It wouldnt be this by any chance would it?

I hear this in the background constantly in my life.
It does not bother me a whole lot as I am that used to it now.

I would like to find out what I am hearing though but I doubt I ever will.

If you are hearing high pitched noises it could be tinnitus but I presume you have probably already got that checked out?

[edit on 9-9-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
A little like that but not so loud and deep, its really light noise followed by a high pitched squeel.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I hear the sound of an Enjoi Skateboard doing a nose manual (distinct from a manual) down a concrete slab...

Awwww, how peaceful that is, no other noise, just peaceful.....

Puts me right to sleep...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I haven't been back to my hometown in NM since 1990 because of the Hum. I didn't hear it when I was in college in West Texas but just 300 miles westward and I was incapacitated by it, even for a weekend home to visit my grandmother. Drove me buggy.

I live in Northern Europe now and it hasn't bothered me yet. Might not be in the region for it. But then again, I have tinnitus now and I must admit that I couldn't hear anything but someone fiddling with the mic on that video. Maybe tinnitus has cancelled it out.
Happy me.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
to me theres nothing better than having a bath, relaxing, lying back with your head only half submerged so that just your ears are below the surface, i can hear my heart, my lungs, some gurgling here and there, thats my silence. The Beauty about it is theres no cicada's underneath the surface like i hear everyday above.

Try it, its nice

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   

I cant explain whats its like, its strange i hear a constant drone then i hear a high pitched beeeeeeeeep for about 10 seconds then it goes away and keeps on humming.

I hear the same except the beeeeeep never really goes away. It's always there. Because of this, I don't think I've ever experienced true "silence."

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
yeah I hear the hum, try going into a sound proof rooms, it can literally drive you crazy. I found it actually comes from inside my head, which people call tinitus or whatever.

but it sounds more like that static electricity coming from the TV, but just a lower pitch

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Back in the 90's a doctor I was seeing for treatment for nerve damage once told me that the hum you hear in your head is the natural sounds of the body. A low thrum is the circulatory system and a high pitched keening sound is the nervous system.

The reason you cannot hear them both is because a person subconsciously puts much emphasis on the first sound that attracts their attention thus it tends to cancel out the other.

The sounds change in pitch when a listener concentrates on listening hard because the nervous and circulatory systems then start to cancel each other out.

I don't necessarily agree though... Much more exciting to think it is otherworldly

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981

For me there is no such thing, my mind is like a crowded shopping mall of thoughts, there is no peace.

I used to have the same problem. That stupid voice in my head went on and on. Read Eckhart Tolle's book, The Power of Now. It helped me get rid of all those useless thoughts. It changed my life and helped me find my peace.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Silence can never be heard, it's not an auditory experience.

Tinnitus drowns out other sounds and is heard over them, it's like the environment goes quieter so that it can be heard.

The pineal gland produces a similar high pitch sound but it does NOT interfere with regular hearing, ie it will not drown out another sound in any way.

Focusing on this pineal sound solely and intently can lead to various spiritual experiences such as an OBE or a phase shift. It is literally a sound coming from the other side, and when you focus on it, you move or fall in the direction it is coming from (the other side).

Over and out
Twisted-Inside-Out

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
What is the sound of silence? Almost seems like a paradox doesn't it? Does silence mean the absence of sound, or a sound confirming that there are no other sounds being heard?

Originally posted by Twisted-Inside-Out
Silence can never be heard, it's not an auditory experience.

Tinnitus drowns out other sounds and is heard over them, it's like the environment goes quieter so that it can be heard.

The pineal gland produces a similar high pitch sound but it does NOT interfere with regular hearing, ie it will not drown out another sound in any way.

Focusing on this pineal sound solely and intently can lead to various spiritual experiences such as an OBE or a phase shift. It is literally a sound coming from the other side, and when you focus on it, you move or fall in the direction it is coming from (the other side).

Over and out
Twisted-Inside-Out

Wow, that is an awesome explanation. Thanks for sharing that with us.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Okay, so what are you saying? That now, should I venture home, back to that "spooky" part of NM, that I won't hear the Hum anymore because tinnitus has developed to protect me? Or are you saying that now my pineal gland is producing this high-pitched sound (because my hearing is normal and they can find no fault in my ears at all)? Why would this happen? I meditate quite a lot and that ringing is pretty random in its frequency and volume, but it never interferes with my hearing or meditation.

No tinnitus, eh? Pineal chimes. Par for the course of my life.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Twisted-Inside-Out

Your explanation is outstanding and I thank you for posting it. I lead a very busy live in a noisy household and even though I meditate a lot I am also distracted a lot.

It is not nice to hear buzzing as my vision starts to dim only to be snapped out of it by trance/dance music, a slamming door or an argument erupting between sisters.

Your explanation (true or not) has inspired me to push on - star

top topics

join