It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this going to become a bad thing...movies on demand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I was going the through the iControl movies on demand the other night and noticed that some movies still in theaters were offered for $5.99 which is $4 cheaper than going to the movies. I also noticed how they have sneak peek movies for about $7 of movies about to come out in theaters...I looked at it in bad way for some reason. If these companies start offering movies in theaters on demand at a lower price more people might not go to movies and just stay home to save money...which is what I would do. I use to go to the movies every weekend but it go so expensive and I wasnt making nearly as much to do so. If I could get them in my home cheaper I am more likely to do that, but then I thought that wouldnt be good for movie theater business. Am I the only one who thinks this could end up hurting the theater business. Maybe I am over analyzing but I love going to the movies but this would be much easier when it comes to money...
If you were wondering where I live, I am in Central FL on the coast and I have Brighthouse...Is there anyone one else out there with other companies that have this option and if so what do you think?

MODS I didnt know where to put this so move it if its in the wrong place

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I don't think this will hurt anyone. I'm not a fan of movie theaters to begin with and have been to a grand total of 3 movies in theaters in the last 11 years - two of them were this year! Blockbuster replaced the movie theater for me and then On Demand replaced Blockbuster.

Most people feel that the only way to really experience a movie is to see it on the big screen. They would never give up the theater experience just because they could access a movie via On Demand as they wouldn't be able to get the full effect of the movie.

Frankly, I wish that On Demand WOULD cause problems with movie theaters. The cost to see a film and purchase food and drinks is wildly overpriced and really cannot be justified. I don't know why people won't boycott theaters until they lower their costs but I guarantee you the owners and stockholders are laughing their booties off all the way to the bank with their profits!

Jemison

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Maybe it's bad for theaters but it's good for us? Maybe it will cause theaters to get more innovative? Or maybe they will just be forced to raise their prices more? Who knows. But not only is it $4 cheaper for you to rent that movie than to go to the theater, but you can have as many friends over to watch it as you want! That's a steal if you ask me.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It might hurt the theaters themselves, but to keep competitive, maybe they'll actually lower the prices on a dang movie ticket.
With gas prices and such rising higher, it's probably a really good idea to offer services like this. You can do so much with it. A Family night, or maybe a 'couples' night, and show kids movies or romantic comedies. I see this as a good step.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Jemison

I love going to the theater but it is so expensive. I went last weekend to a daytime show and it was $7 to get in and $16 bucks at the food counter! I kind of like being able to get it at home but I too love to see certain movies in the theater. I really think they need to make theater movies affordable as well as the food stand. I paid $4.75 for a medium coke! That is nuts! I usually go to the dollar store : ) and get the dollar candy there whereas at the theater you would pay sometimes $4 dollars for the same $1 candy! I use to sneak BK and Subway into the theater : ) They knew I did it but I was there every week and sometimes twice so they never said anything....lol The manager would give me free passes sometimes and invite me to movie screenings. It was great!
I guess I was looking for too into it..lol

I also cant imagine what it would cost to take a family to the movies now-a-days if it cost me over 20! I use to have netflix but I canceled it however I have been thinking of signing up for it again.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by theyreadmymind

Maybe it's bad for theaters but it's good for us? Maybe it will cause theaters to get more innovative? Or maybe they will just be forced to raise their prices more? Who knows. But not only is it $4 cheaper for you to rent that movie than to go to the theater, but you can have as many friends over to watch it as you want! That's a steal if you ask me.

I would think that if it did do anything bad to theaters that they would lower their prices to get people to come back. Its insane what movie starts get paid and how little they pay the employees of the theaters but we pay the most just to see it! Its really kind of nuts when you think about it. I love the movies and I use to go quite often but I always hated the cost. For me going to the movies was like how some go out on weekends. I go there to relax and escape.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chiiru
It might hurt the theaters themselves, but to keep competitive, maybe they'll actually lower the prices on a dang movie ticket.
With gas prices and such rising higher, it's probably a really good idea to offer services like this. You can do so much with it. A Family night, or maybe a 'couples' night, and show kids movies or romantic comedies. I see this as a good step.

Oh I thought it was good to for everyone accept those who might lose jobs. Like I said I over analyze and for some reason it surprised me they would do this... But now that I think about it maybe they did it on purpose to get more people to watch these movies by making them available at home as well.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
We have had movies on demand here for several years and the movie theaters are still up and running. I do think those discount second run theaters are hurting though, we used to have 5 of them in the city and now there is only 2 left.

On the rare occasion that I do go to the movies, I take my big purse, fill it with goodies and a nice cold ginger ale and i am good. LOL Now that I have the internet I must admit I do watch the ones I am interested in the first few days they are out and gee, it is FREE! I love a bargain.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

If this system hurts movie going, you can bet the studios will delay the release of their movies. Much of these services are for those who do not go to the movies.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

Yeah we had 2 discount and one dollar theater which showed older movies and sometimes newer movies after their run at the big theaters was done. It was always amazing how those smaller and cheaper theaters charged less, had better snacks and food items and some even served beer and wine. I use to hit the dollar theater alot when I was younger. I sure do miss it!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Oh I thought it was good to for everyone accept those who might lose jobs. Like I said I over analyze and for some reason it surprised me they would do this... But now that I think about it maybe they did it on purpose to get more people to watch these movies by making them available at home as well.

Honestly, I didn't really consider the jobs (loss or gain) involving the theater. Oopsie.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
My local theatre (or maybe every theatre of this chain in Canada) has "cheap night" every Tuesday where an adult ticket to any movie is $4.20. That's pretty much the only time my friends and I go... the rest of the week, the price is like $10.

It's hard to decide if I'd rather pay $5.99 to watch a brand new movie in the comfort of my home, or pay $4 for a true movie experience.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I prefer using my on demand feature for several reasons.

No screen talkers......your warnings are falling on deaf ears, they can't hear you anyway!

I can make my own popcorn.

I can watch from my bed if I want to.

Nobody's giant coconut is blocking my view.

And the most important reason....beer.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Over here in the UK we've had movies on demand for quite a while, not necessarily brand new stuff, but I can see it coming...

I generally really enjoy the cinema experience, especially as we have an Imax where I live, which frankly is mind blowing.

However, the bonus of watching stuff at home
* I've got good surround sound.
* I can drink and smoke and Pause.
* I have a massive tv.
* It's really cheap.
* No putting up with the public.

In the cinema, I have to put up with the public, invariably the movie is too quite and it really is expensive - I can be maybe 2 dvds or 1 bluray for the cost of taking me and my girlfriend to the cinema. The best place to go where I live is a little independant arthouse cinema, that shows interesting stuff, I saw the Good, The Bad And the Ugly there a few months back and it was really exciting to see it in the cinema, but the majority of new movies frankly aren't terribly good and those that are tend to have a short run.

top topics

join