It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic 'warmest in 2,000 years'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Arctic 'warmest in 2,000 years'

news.bbc.co.uk

Arctic temperatures are now higher than at any time in the last 2,000 years, research reveals.

Changes to the Earth's orbit drove centuries of cooling, but temperatures rose fast in the last 100 years as human greenhouse gas emissions rose.

"The 20th Century stands out in strong contrast to the cooling that should have continued. The last half-century was the warmest of the 2,000-year temperature record, and the last 10 years have been especially dramatic."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bloomberg.com - Arctic’s 2,000-Year Cooling Ended With Coal Burning, Ice Shows

features.csmonitor.com - Hey, global warming skeptics, take your heads out of the sand

www.telegraph.co.uk - Global warming has reversed 2,000 years of cooling in the Arctic

[edit on 4-9-2009 by Albastion]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The article, originally posted in Science Magazine, is available here:
Recent Warming Reverses Long-Term Arctic Cooling

Apparently because of the Earth's wobble rate the Arctic region is supposed to actually be cooling down. However, the sharp increase in Arctic temperatures seems to suggest that the temperature increase started with industrialization and coal burning, and that it is directly related to carbon emissions produced by human activity over the last century or so.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
this is scary. we need to take care of our mother better and stop being so selfish.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Albastion

Soooo, global warming has kept the globe from cooling.

Why do the studies only go back 2K years? Is there evidence to show global changes before then? I mean, my lawn mower is old, but I think it wasn't around 3K years ago.

Before I start praising mother earth and apologizing for using a toothbrush, give me data that goes back a few million years. Or heck even a few thousand.

Two thousand years is like looking at the temp today and stating how different it is to december 23rd. And panicking.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Some how this just doesn't correlate with Roman seaports found a MILE inland in England This was during the Roman warm period that some say was significantly warmer than presentwww.1911encyclopedia.org...

Yes yes , me bad I have contradicted the Holy Gore and his holy message from Maurice Strong the father of the environmental movement. I wonder if Strong buys his carbon credits from himself and Gore. After all he owns the worst polluter in Canada.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Just based on what you said, I do not get your point.

If it was indeed warmer during that Roman period it would make sense that the seas would have been higher due to less ice in the polar regions, and thus the Roman seaports were further inland from where the coast is today.

We still have lots of ice left. When that all melts, those Roman ports might once again be on the sea-shore.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Global warming my foot. All I know is that this summer was NOTHING compared to previous summers. It's September 1st and my pool (S. Arkansas) is almost too cold to swim in!

It's going to be a bad winter this year. Early, too.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by netwarrior

I agree, lol, its been a #ty summer for sure. But if you look at the chart the line has never been smooth. Individual years varied a lot, but the trend was a cooling one over most of the 2000 years, then sharply up the last century or so.

Meanwhile, the lack of sun spots/solar flares the last couple of years should be giving us a mini ice age, so who really knows for sure?

We'll know when it happens I guess.

[edit on 9/5/2009 by wayno]

new topics

top topics

join