It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain's most celebrated UFO sighting was a "lorry full of fertiliser"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Britain's most celebrated UFO sighting was a "lorry full of fertiliser"

Sometimes dubbed “Britain’s Roswell”, it sparked worldwide interest and for years researchers, authors and television producers have tried to get to the bottom of what happened. Now however someone has come forward claiming to hold the key to the mystery. Peter Turtill, 66, from Ipswich, said the “UFO” was actually a truck full of burning fertiliser which he had set alight. He claimed he had been on his way home after collecting a truck he had lent to a friend when it broke down near the USAF airbase at Rendlesham in December 1980.
His claim was met with immediate scorn by researchers. Brenda Butler, a UFO investigator, said: “I don’t get what he is saying. There have been so many witnesses who have come forward.

“He would have to come up with an awful lot of proof to call them liars. Why has he waited 29 years to come forward?”

lin k

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I don't buy this guy. There's just too much info on this for it to be a burning truck.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
and you still don't believe it huh? look people, ufos don't do drive byes. if they did you would see them all the time. flying down highways, scaring cows etc etc. it's all BS.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
In this case, it looks like it may all be BS. Literally.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
...and it burned for three nights?

What an ass.

I don't recall anybody finding a burned out truck in the forest. Why anybody even believed his claims enough to post this - anywhere - is beyond me. (Not aimed at the OP, by the way)

[edit on 4-9-2009 by Clickfoot]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
What kind of person would willingly BURN a truck ? maybe he needs his insurance company to look into or investigate any claims he made to see if he claimed for a fire burned truck? Maybe that would make his time AND ours valuable after he said made the rendlesham forest incident? and maybe the people that claimed it was a UFO especially the guy that said he 'touched' the UFO need to claim compensation for burns injuries from this guy then?

What an idiot , 29 years TOO LATE mate. just a grab at newpaper money seeing as theres a bit of interest in the UFO community lately IMO.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
So what we have here are troops that can't tell the difference between a lighthouse*, a spaceship and a truck full of burning sh!t?

*original explanation which is just as crap explanation as a truck full of burning sh!t!

[edit on 4/9/09 by Daisy-Lola]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Seems to me like a Newspaper short of a few stories and will print any pile of poo

[edit on 4-9-2009 by mrixxx]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I've heard another story, that some people came forward and said they were just playing tricks with their vehicle lights or something like that. Who knows?

This sounds a little fishy though, from what I know, fertilizer alone doesn't burn well, it acts as an oxidizer and requires something else to burn for it to supply oxygen quickly to.

It would be difficult to set on fire like that, and if you did get some wooden panels on the truck to burn, it would burn ridiculously quickly, we're talking seconds, then it would still just be a pile of unused fertilizer on the metal body of the truck.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
okay, this guy set the truck, not just the fertilizer, but the whole truck alight, right? then he mentions the "tires popping", so Im assuming he means bursted from the heat/ fire, right?

Then he proceeds to tow this burning, tireless fireball through the forest with no noise or smell at all? Not leaving any gouges in the road or earth from the bare rims? No trail of molten rubber?

Hmmm. I think some of the stolen goods escaped and made their way to the newspaper.

CDS

[edit on 4-9-2009 by Cole DeSteele]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
What an idiot , 29 years TOO LATE mate.

Don't you just wanna slap him?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
So Sergeant Penniston was climbing on and inspecting a lorry full of horse sh*t but somehow got it confused with a triangular craft emitting light which had strange symbols written on it!!!! So who's going to tell Penniston?

Much like the burnt out lorry, this nonsense is full to the brim with manure. . .

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
This is absolute BS

1. Why wait 29 years to come forward?

2. What type of fertiliser?
If it's just manure that is not going to burn readily.
I read/took it as agricultural fertiliser either bagged or in bulk. If it was compound fertiliser this will not burn at all so we have to assume there was probably a high Ammonium Nitrate concentration in this fertiliser. Now, as someone already pointed out fertiliser oxidises and doesn't burn readily.
To get this alight you'd need an accellerant like diesel or petrol. Now, start adding that to a truck load of fertiliser and setting light to it and you're gonna get your bright light but there's also a good chance you're also gonna get a 30ft crater and a load of flattened trees, not to mention rather a loud bang.....!

3. So he sets light to said truck / trailer and then hangs around to watch it burn. Then he sees some guys with guns, gets scared, hitches up said burning vehicle or trailer and tows it to the road where it is 'safer'.

WTF......

This is utter utter utter BS

How stupid do TPTB or the papers think we really are

MR

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Yeh its a good idea to set alight a truck in the woods with dry leaves and trees!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Lol
cause ya' know.
not even these highly trained army peoples cant tell whats a fire and whats a physical craft flyin around beamin lights and shizz these days

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marlborough Red
This is absolute BS

1. Why wait 29 years to come forward?

2. What type of fertiliser?
If it's just manure that is not going to burn readily.
I read/took it as agricultural fertiliser either bagged or in bulk. If it was compound fertiliser this will not burn at all so we have to assume there was probably a high Ammonium Nitrate concentration in this fertiliser. Now, as s

You might want to look up Fertiliser Bomb on google before making that claim

The IRA were using non fire suppressed fertiliser in bombs through out the 60/70/80s

join