It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lost One (TTSSC)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
He lit another one up. Smoke dancing in the still air. His boots pushing dust on the floor as he moved towards the empty shelf. "Nothings left." barely louder than the gentle buzz of the fridge. The dogs ears raised as it focused on the empty cans scattered around the garbage pail. In those times parallel to man; in need and hungry. Most of all, the tight grip of the choker on the leash holding them back. Unlike the dog, he didn't know his place. And that's why he was here.
White noise matched with a distant shrill filled the days. Nothing more than empty cars. Spent shells. The suns intense beams striking the desolate city streets, a reminder of recreation lost and days gone.
"Why did this happen?" - Did they really want this?" He said as he tossed a crumpled newspaper onto the asphalt. He stopped to pick up a rifle lying next to the still body of a resistance fighter. Pausing to check his wallet for identification, he fumbled around to pull out the laminated card.

Paul Ephraim, born 1986, brown hair blue eyes, 5 ft. 9., 175 lbs

He kept moving while slipping the card into his front pocket. His face insensible like he was bluffing on the river. Eyes gazing beyond the horizon. A checkpoint was set on a pinched road near the entrance to the only bridge left standing. Watch towers stood adjacent at both ends. He knew what he had to do.
He lined up his sight with the top of the first tower and spotted three targets. Three shots silent but deadly. Two more well placed rounds into the second tower. By that time the soldiers on the ground had no idea what was coming. He grabbed the HK416 from his shoulder and Eased between a burnt out Civic and a dumpster, he pulled the pin on the flashbang. There were six on foot and an APC positioned on the far side.
So many choices had gotten him where he was. So many things he could have done, but it was not the time for regrets.
Crouched behind the dumpster, he tossed it over. "MOVE - MOVE!" they had seen it coming and by then the element of surprise was out of the question. He sprayed a few rounds on the back wall and took his chance. He ran towards the parallel boundary, spraying again towards their position just long enough for cover. A soldier crept to the side of the APC and took aim. The soldier eased the trigger and sprayed him up the side of the leg causing him to go for a dive.The soldiers took their chance, Dust flew up around him. Fwap Fwap Fwap.
For a moment there was nothing but silence among the soldiers. No radio calls, not one word. The exchange of sorrowed looks filled the checkpoint will an eerie atmosphere. One soldier lifted his radio, "Blue on blue...Ephraim, David." was all he could manage.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by patent98310

Nice one patent98310. I felt the despair of the main character and the hopelessness that surrounded him. Nicely done. Star and flagged. I must admit to you though, I didn't understand the end. Blue on blue ephraim david. Was this the characters sibling maybe and what is blue on blue? Military jargon, code maybe.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by jackflap]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Now THAT..was a good read!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

blue on blue is code for friendly fire.
yeah the ending is a little sketchy, it was hard to put it together...lol

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Soldier stories always makes me feel anxious and a little sad, but well done.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
What prompted the man to pick up that rifle and identity card, we'll never know.

Blue on blue meant that the men guarding the bridge were also resistance fighters. By that I take it that the government has fallen and the militias are in control.

If I'm right, that is the twist in the story.

Action packed and very descriptive, patent.

top topics

join