It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News covers 'tea party' as if it were a sports game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Fox News, the self-branded "Fair and Balanced" network, appears to have thrown even the most feigned attempt at "balance" in the debate over health insurance reform, right out the window.

Critical media observers need only review reporter Griff Jenkins' recent coverage of a New Mexico "tea party," which this writer can only summarize as being similar to to sideline interviews at a sports game ... If the interviewer were, say, employed by the team he's interviewing.

This video was aired by Fox News on Sept. 1, 2009.

One protester suggested that the group crowding around the reporter is representative of the "silent majority" that is finally waking up. However, a recent SurveyUSA poll found that over two-thirds of Americans support having a public health insurance option.

Although, I cannot claim to recall ever seeing this sort of protest coverage on the Fox News Channel when peace activists marched against the war in Iraq. No, in fact it was quite the opposite, and the crowds that Jenkins waded through were not nearly as friendly.

Here's an example of hostile protest coverage and a hostile response, broadcast by Fox News just ahead of the Democratic National Convention in August, 2008.

rawstory.com...

They've stooped to making a mockery of people's opinions and rights to express dissent. It's weird because sometimes Fox covers real issues well and other times they do it very badly. What gives?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I guess, -pause, I had to scratch my head- that they are showing the news that others won't show.

No other broadcast network (cable or otherwise) is showing this at all.

I know Fox isn't fair and balanced, but at least you get another viewpoint from them that you would get from MSNBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, NBC, PBS, E!, HomeShopping Network, FoodNetwork, etc. . .

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

I agree they show things most other networks don't but the way they are going about it is to show it as if it was something not worth anyone's time. Almost as if it was a bunch of old ladies having a knitting contest...*yawn*...sort of thing.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Well, at least they can answer to their detractors that they are being fair. I watched it this morning. They even interviewed an Obama voter that had turned out.

The guy was shocked that Obama had turned out the way he had.

I guess he should've been on ATS. . . .

top topics

join