It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Male chicks ground up alive at egg hatcheries.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

According to Mercy for Animals, male chicks are of no use to the industry because they can't lay eggs and don't grow large or quickly enough to be raised profitably for meat. That results in the killing of 200 million male chicks a year.

The United Egg Producers confirmed that figure and the practice behind it.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I find this pretty disturbing when it comes to lack of respect for a living creature.
If they could do it humanely maybe i would feel a little better about it.
I am only going to eat farm eggs from local people if this is what the big egg manufacturers are doing.
They have no respect for living creatures and for that i have no reason to buy their product.
Thought people should know about this.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Very disturbing, but as you would imagine, there are more disturbing things done everyday. The amount of animals that are tortured and brutally harmed for the human race is alarming.

Good thread. If we knew what happens with most our food when its processed, we probably wouldn't eat most of it.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

I couldn't agree more.
If people only knew what happens b4 it hits their plate.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I just found another thread on this subject. Seems like alot more posts too.
Interesting...

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Executive Director of Mercy for Animals, Nathan Ruckle said, "most people would be shocked to learn that 200 million chicks are killed a year."

As to more humane alternatives to disposing of male chicks, Runkle said the whole system is inherently flawed.

"The entire industrial hatchery system subjects these birds to stress, fear and pain from the first day," he said.

----

It'd pretty disgusting. The majority of people certainly don't want these details, though. They want their omelette stat. They couldn't care less at what expense and if the expense isn't their own money, well then it isn't much of an expense to them they'll say. They have a stressful job to putter off to after that breakfast. If they get two consecutive red lights on the way to work, then that's the real tragedy in their mind.

"Two hundred million chicks to the insta-grind?" "Yeah, but did you hear gas went up 4 cents a gallon last night ?" "Now that's a real tragedy."

"Two hundred million chicks to the insta-grind?" "Yeah, but they cancelled ball game because it got rained out." "Now that's a real tragedy"

Those are concerns to get the average Johnny Automaton worked up. A stat like the hatchery one might insight the following calculation though, "So basically what your saying is, if we milled over 400 million then eggs would be half price?! ...hmmmm"

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

top topics

join