It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Underwear Index

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
On a lighter note...There is apparently a correlation between the sale of men's underwear and the overall health of the economy.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Here's the theory, briefly: Sales of men's underwear typically are stable because they rank as a necessity. But during times of severe financial strain, men will try to stretch the time between buying new pairs, causing underwear sales to dip.

"It's a prolonged purchase," said Marshal Cohen, senior analyst with the consumer research firm NPD Group. "It's like trying to drive your car an extra 10,000 miles.

I guess it makes sense. But eventually (I hope!) people have to by underwear whether it's fiancially convenient or not. Or go commando.

Never the less, it's pretty freaky how much information is gathered and correlated in modern life. I wonder what other unexpected things correlate to the economy?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Interesting. i don't wear underwear anyhow, never did.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I wonder what other unexpected things correlate to the economy?

Yes, it is interesting

One I've heard is that when the economy is depressed, people select bright, cheerful colours for clothing, wall paints, etc. And the reverse -- when it's 'boom' time, i.e., when money is flowing, people tend to choose neutrals and understated colours for clothing, wall paints, etc.

Another I've heard is that when times are tough, skirts tend to become shorter and the reverse when the economy's good (think I have that right, although it could be the reverse. Someone will know, anyway)

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by thaknobodi

Zoinks! Thanks for sharing.

www.nytimes.com...

“DURING a recession, laxatives go up, because people are under tremendous stress, and holding themselves back,” said Mr. Shapiro, now chief executive of SAGE, a Chicago-based consulting firm. “During a boom, deodorant sales go up, because people are out dancing around. When people have less money, they buy more of the things that have less water in them, things that are not so perishable. Instead of lettuce and steak and fruit, it’s rice and beans and grain and pasta. Except this time the price of pasta’s so high that it’s beans and rice.”

A recent Nielsen report listed tobacco, carbonated drinks and eggs as especially vulnerable to recession, and candy, beer and pasta sauce as recession-proof. On Thursday, Hershey’s announced third-quarter sales and income higher than last year’s. (“We offer a tremendous variety of affordable indulgences, and people love chocolate, even in hard times,” said Kirk Saville, a company spokesman.)

Almost anything can be an economic indicator. Back in the 1920s, the economist George Taylor conceived the hemline index, finding that skirts got longer as the economy slowed. These days, there’s been talk of a haircut index, with short locks signaling a market drop.

And evidently conventional beauty standards are affected as well - someone analyzed Playmates over the years compared to economic prosperity and found a correlation.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Oh, gross. For the guys, anyway. I know Victoria's Secret has been sending little "Free Panty" cards in the mail every month or so. Maybe some stores that sell men's underwear could sell a free pack every three months...

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Interesting premise and article, 'Jack

I guess if the potential to "soil them" seems imminent, then the choice to delay future and/or further purchases would seem a "back burner" issue.

As for "what else may impact such similar type purchases and/or decisions", I'd say consider the demographic info or data attached to one's "store card(s)"

As in...

He bought new tidy whiteys only hours after said stock took a downturn

-wonder why-

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Who's to say that some guy didn't take advantage of the "free panty" offer? Certainly someone will try now...

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

I was thinking the same thing! I wondered how many pairs of underwear got wore out last fall at the height of the crisis.

new topics

top topics

join