It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mayan prediction, how?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
The mayans lived before jesus, so the years as we know them woudn't have been calculated, 2012 would have meant nothing. And we dont actually when exactly they lived, so how can we discern that they predicted the end in 2012, let alone the exact date.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
because its a solor calander, so it doesnt work on "dates" but events of the solor system, eg, full moons, alighnments, etc etc

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by sc2300

the Gregorian Calendar (our calendar) was changed in the 16th century. Because of its limited accuracy, it loses time over the centuries and needs to be tweaked from time to time. After Europeans returned from north/south America in the first years after discovering America the Vatican, who had control over the Gregorian Calendar, changed it such that 2012 matched up with the Mayan Calendar. It is suspected that the Vatican made these changes with respect to Mayan codices that were brought back however I've not seen any definative evidence of this, rather, just educated speculation.

The Mayan civilization reached its peak at around 900 CE (AD) and didn't disappear until after the Spanish arrived.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Astronomy, following the stars and keeping track by that. sunrise, sun set, so on so forth.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
nothing bad will happen in 2012. check the interview with the man from 2097 thread.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
The mayan calender of the B'ak'tun 13 age ends on december 21, 2012, and past researchers stated that this is when another galactic alignment will occur. The alignment lasts for roughly 36 years and in all actuality has already happened in 1998. The mayans also never stated exactly what was going to happen in 2012 other than the end of another age, usually just a celebration occurs. With that being said, take in consideration that the mayan calender and history date back several hundred years before christ so who knows what they really predicted.
edit on 2-11-2010 by maxhile because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by maxhile

your right.... and modern scientists calibrated the recorded Mayan astronomical events and determined the Maya
calander began in 3114BCE in our timeline.... way before the Maya culture thrived

the spanish & the companion Missionaries, committed the genocide on the Maya & Aztecs around
1512-1562 CE...
which begs the question... just how did the Maya calendar start before the Maya culture even arose?

but enough of that---> here is where i propose something that 'out-of-the-box' concerning the Maya 2012
end of calendar & the Earth shaking collapse of the modern paradigm.

in many threads i have stated that i think the 2012 events concern ONLY the Maya & their descendants
and the 'global' predictions are just fantasy' to sell books, tours, create a cottage industry.

But i would point out that there is a mass migration out of the former Maya/Aztec centers of culture...

many would say that just Mexicans are fleeing to the north to excape poverty & drug lords...

i hwever suggest that parts of Mexico, Belize, Hondouras, the "Yucatan' are being depopulated for another reason...let's say the people 'sense' that the former Maya lands are in peril or jeopardy...
they 'feel' this on a primal level, perhaps there's a cultural or DNA element of a shared collective consciousness and thats whats driving these people & families from their homeland roots,
to sanctuaries in North America and to the South in havens like Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela....

are these countries to the North or South attracting the families from central america?

or is there a driving force that compells these children from the Maya / Aztec ancestors to migrate away from the danger zone? See, the 2012 predictions would still be for the ancient Maya lands...and they are migrating away from the 2012 dangers...
perhaps there's another impact or meteor shower impact due for the Yucatan/Honduras areas?
perhaps the deep water oil volcano in the Gulf is just the tip of the iceberg with more to follow over the years?

at any rate, i'd suggest that anyone with Maya ancestory or actually living in Maya lands are being compelled to evacuate from their enviroment...unaware that there is a larger force at work...call it Destiny or Gaia or even Karma that is making the nations both North & South attractive areas to migrate to.

new topics

top topics

join