It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Cob House Built For Less Than $3,000"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The Link

Not bad.

Kent at Tiny House Blog notes that "you can build your own cob house with little money, but with lots of time and enthusiasm." He shows us 24 year-old Ziggy's cob (a mixture of straw, clay, and sand similar to adobe) with a footprint of 360 square feet built for under three thousand bucks. (Yes, that is $ 8.33 per square foot.)

That is a SMALL house, but hey simple is a good thing. My wife and I with 2 dogs and 2 cast live in 790sq/ft and we get by just fine.

It was a major adjustment but it has taught us to live more simply and it has turned out to be a good thing.

I like this $3k cob house because ti helps break down the dependence on the financial industry and saves the individual so much money to NOT have to finance a home.

Yes, it takes a LOT of work and some skill, but it also endows one with a keen sense of self-sufficiency and independence, or so I gather.

Enjoy.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Cob is one of my favorite building methods. It results in a very flowing and sculptural edifice. I could not live forever in something that small, but it would sure keep the weather and financial wolves at bay while I build something bigger. Three cheers for cob!

I just noticed he used BLACK WALNUT scrap lumber. How lucky is that? The scrap lumber where he lives is Black Walnut. No cheap stuff like Pine.

[edit on 8-31-2009 by groingrinder]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Holycrap thats awesome... I live in the woods here, might be interesting.
2nd line

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
That's a great little house!

He could keep on building (although the original design wasn't exactly built with that in mind) - If I were him I would take my time and build right up next to that one, with a short corridor/small room going into the wall on the left as you look at the front... Then when the second one is finished just remove the bit of wall dividing and polish the edges up -

Carry on like that and he could end up with a single floor sprawling palace!

new topics

top topics

join