It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quarter of Africa faces water shortage, courtesy global warming

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Quarter of Africa faces water shortage, courtesy global warming

sify.com

Twenty five percent of Africa experiences shortage of drinking water due to global warming, which is increasing at a higher rate now than in earlier decades, says noted environmentalist R.K. Pachauri.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.voanews.com
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
The people of Africa need our help! They are seeking $67 billion a year in environmental damages from developed countries. I have a strong feeling that this money won't get to where it is needed most, and only to a rich few, which is why I think rather than give money that seems to disappear into thin air we should set up a large scale project to help instead.

In 2005 a 1,000 mile long oil pipeline was built, starting in Azerbaijan and stretching all the way to the Turkish port of Ceyhan, at the cost of $3.6bn. It has the potential of pumping 238 480.943 million litres per day.

So my question is; Could Africa build similar pipelines for water?

sify.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I dont think that Africa should be given a goddamn thing until Americans are cared for first. We cant be the welfare office of the planet, and we definately dont owe africa nothing.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Reply to post by kingoftheworld

Yeah 100% incorrect. Hopefully you'll be able to find the fault with your statement. I believe africa is still getting raped. Always have had water problems this side though so really don't know what's so special about now?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Africa has had a long series of droughts in the last 40 years. Nobody has gotten too excited about it other than to drill wells and provide food for famine victims. There was no profit in a drought.

BUT NOW..!!!!

Yes oh yes!

We can make money off of it because of "Global Warming."

I don't believe in the whole new green religion thing. Does that make me a green atheist?

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
How about instead of trying to blackmail the developed countries for 67 billion a year, how about they get rid of the dictators that are dominating Africa that keep allowing the corporations to rape and pillage their resources, for pennies on the dollar?

Global Warming is nothing, but an excuse for a select few people to get even richer. They need to fix their own problems before people give them any money.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

I've oftened wondered why the african leaders don't get together and put a halt on anything leaving this continent in its raw form. If we had the resources to do all the refining here we'd be the ones ripping you off. I think zimbabwe is a good example of what happens when you try to throw the dictators out. The cops and soldiers are not nearly as afraid of the civilians as they are of Robert. They always side with the big scary man. I could conclude that the rest of african counties would follow the same rule. Idi ring a bell? These people won't just lock you away. They'll take your life. The other thing would be that the people that want to free themselves have nothing but sticks and stones. Against bullets these will do you no good. They stuck between the devil and a deep blue see. Don't think it's as easy as just throw the dictators out. Sorry about the wall of text but posting from my mobile.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by RankRancid

I know it isn't easy, but the problems aren't ever going to be solved unless you fix the main problem, that being the dictators. It also isn't that easy to just start a war either, and don't know if that is the right solution.

There are a bunch of humanitarian problems going on down there too. I heard SA isn't doing that great either since that new guy got elected, I could be wrong about that because the documentary I watched could have been biased.

The solution would be to do as you said, stop the export of the raw materials without high tariffs, and also the developed countries could do their part by imposing trade tariffs against the corps. that export the raw materials from Africa.

But giving the dictators more money isn't solving problems because only a select few get the cash and they aren't using it how it should be used.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

You are without a doubt correct about getting rid of the dictators. I was really worried about Jacob coming into power. To be honest I haven't seen our country more united than this. Well besides the 2 rugby world cups. It's crazy how sport does that. So to answer your question at the moment I think we still doing well. Also about refining the materials,don't think the dictators can think about the money they could make in a few years,they just want money for themselves now. Guess i'm saying after rethinking you were correct the first time. Get rid of the dictators first and the ones that take their place. Wash repeat and hang to dry.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Global warming is BS.

By "global warming" they actually mean over population.

I think I read somewhere that like 96% of new births happen in 3rd world countries. Girls are raped and then they move either into the big city or a filthy, polluted shanty town where they have to pay for access to running water. Uneducated, they end up working in prostitution or some elicit trade and do nothing but continue the vicious cycle.

The African dictators, for the most part, are hold-overs from the Cold War. They've had to sell their countries out to keep their own friends and families rich.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by deadoralive

I'm sorry, but exactly where in the article does it demonstrably note that Global warming is causing the water shortage. Africa has been undergoing desertification since about 12,000 B.C.

Also:

For at least 3,000 years, a drumbeat of potent droughts, far longer and more severe than any experienced recently, have seared a belt of sub-Saharan Africa that is now home to tens of millions of the world’s poorest people, climate researchers report in a new study.

www.nytimes.com...

The last such drought, persisting more than three centuries, ended around 1750, the research team writes in the April 17 issue of the journal Science.

So we have a scientifically documented history of droughts in Africa stretching 1,000's of years yet it is mankind's fault for this current crop???

I'm not buying it, sorry.

This is my problem with the Global Warming/ Climate change crowd, they seem to not notice previous historical trends or patterns. Our climate is much more complex than just mankind pumping things into the atmosphere, it's cycles of various things at various patterns, that shape our climate.

[edit on 29-8-2009 by pavil]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Reply to post by pavil

I'm not entirely sure how the global warning is supposed to work but things I've noticed. We had more rain last year than any year since the 80's and this year we've again had flooding problems this winter,we haven't had any of our super hot december days for atleast 3 years. They seem to come late January or early Feb. If anything the weather patterns are slightly changing season. It's so funny 10 years ago they said Cape Town would be a semi-desert and the changes were going to happen so quick. Well it hasn't happened yet.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
When did Africa ever have enough water for everyone?

Seems to me they've always been running at about 3/4s.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Sea water desalination plants, pipe lines. It could happen. We do have the technology on this earth for such things. I suppose returns on investments and human interference for money, keeps this from happening. Freaking, godawful, ignorant and spiritually deficient humans!!

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RankRancid

Look how many times they have tried to get a system of dams on major rivers there only to have the funds rerouted or some foolish political squabble between tribal war lords screw the pooch on the project. They loose more fresh water than they can afford. Africa has every bit as much water as the US but have not seen fit to conserve it in any way! It's not GW that's the problem. It's the damned despots with their private armies and tribal strife causing the shortages of food and fresh water. With a certain President wanting his own private army, I can see those same problems could happen here!

Zindo

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Global warming or inept governments.

I place my bet on the latter.

What those government with shortage done to try to rectify the situation?

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Maybe they should ask the new landlords for the money.
I mean if they want all the marbles then they should pay for them. We have done enough already let somebody else shoulder some of the relief work.

Special Report: China Storms Africa

With its resource-hungry push into the sub-Sahara, Beijing puts the planet to the test.

How China's taking over Africa

Confucius Institutes (state-funded Chinese 'cultural centres') have sprung up throughout Africa, as far afield as the tiny land-locked countries of Burundi and Rwanda, teaching baffled local people how to do business in Mandarin and Cantonese.

Massive dams are being built, flooding nature reserves. The land is scarred with giant Chinese mines, with 'slave' labourers paid less than £1 a day to extract ore and minerals.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

China’s Wide Reach in Africa

Chinese business interests in Africa have grown dramatically in recent years. The authors say that bilateral trade between the regions quintupled, to $55 billion, from 2000 to 2006, and that the figure is expected to reach $100 billion by 2010.

[edit on 29-8-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
excuse me i am not real up to date geography wise but isn't the top half of africa covered by the sahara desert and i know the congo region is kinda wet but isn't thr trdt mostly dry scrubland?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Good Lord!

They have been going threw this for years!

Here's another thread I started about this BS a little bwhile ago, ...

Africa Wants $67 Bln a Year in Global Warming Funds

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I'm glad to see that many of you guys reject the Global Warming nonsense.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join