It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Deaths In Afghanistan Set New Monthly Record

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

KABUL (AP) ― Click to enlarge 1 of 5 Afghan soliders and U.S. Marines from 2nd Marine Expeditionary Brigade, RCT 2nd Battalion 8th Marines Echo Co. patrol together during the start of Operation Khanjari on July 2, 2009 in Main Poshteh, Afghanistan. Joe Raedle/Getty Images Related Stories Deadly Record Nears For Troops In Afghanistan (8/27/2009) Car Bomb Blast Kills At Least 41 In Afghanistan (8/26/2009) Military Sees Fading Support For Afghanistan War (8/23/2009) Taliban Militants Cut Off Afghan Voters' Fingers (8/22/2009) Related Links CBS News Interactive: Taliban In The Crosshairs An American service member died in a bomb blast in Afghanistan on Friday, making August the deadliest month of the eight-year war for U.S. forces. The service member's vehicle struck a roadside bomb in the east, NATO forces said. U.S. forces spokeswoman Capt. Elizabeth Mathias confirmed the nationality but did not provide further details. The death brings to 45 the number of U.S. troops who have died in Afghanistan this month, surpassing the 44 troops killed in July, which had been the deadliest.

cbs5.com...

That's right. Let's keep ignoring the cost of trillions of dollars it is putting on all of us to KILL SOLDIERS and innocents.

GD people!

What the hell is wrong with us?!?!

ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No news media is talking about the war anymore.

Why???

Where is the anti-war movement? Where is ANYTHING on the war?

[edit on 28-8-2009 by David9176]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Oh noes.

No one GIVES A DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Figures.

What's that? You care about our debt and defecit?

Oh noes...but the war is ok? Doesn't matter if it costs trillions right?

Who cares about the borders and coasts....

Hypocrites.

Wake up.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Yay us!!!

I love it how we Americans are so good at breaking records!

We Go!!! USA. USA. USA!!!

I think it just gets old. How long do we keep yelling about it? Believe it or not, even HERE on ATS, there are those that still defend the fact that we are 'fighting terrorists' in Afghanistan.

Incessant drone strikes into Pakistan. Rigged 'elections' where the US (oops) accidentally loses ballots.

US troops with big smiles and thumbs up with their boots on the necks of tortured 'enemy combatants' that don't have 'rights.'

What are we gonna DO, Dave?

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
You don't see much about the war because Obama is now in office.

Before, when it was Bush that was President, you got the daily death toll on every news channel. They were really good keeping everyone up to date on how many US troops had been killed. Just sitting back and rubbing their hands when the next milestone was coming up.

Now, tho, it's no big deal. I'm surprised that this was even in the news, considering all the coverage for Teddy and Michael Jackson.

Edit: I forgot to add. It was just a few months ago when they decided that enemy casualties would not be mentioned in the news. Interesting.

[edit on 28-8-2009 by jerico65]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Anti-War activists were never against the war, they were against President Bush. Now that Mr. Obama has taken over is silence is deafening.

I would still feel safer in Afghanistan that out on our nation's roadways, where on average 3,100 people every month lose there lives.

blogs.findlaw.com...

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) estimated figures for 2008 show that 37,313 vehicle drivers and passengers were killed in vehicle accidents in 2008

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

What are we gonna DO, Dave?

Where are the Conservatives? Where are the Liberals?

Does no one GIVE A DAMN ANYMORE?!?!??!!!?!!

For cripes sakes people....we are supporting OUR OWN DEMISE.

WE ARE PAYING FOR IT WITH OUR OWN BLOOD AND SACRIFICE...AND FOR WHAT???!?!?!!??!!???

TELL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

I would still feel safer in Afghanistan that out on our nation's roadways, where on average 3,100 people every month lose there lives.

RR...it looks like you are trying to justify the loss of soldiers even though you may not be.

We have now lost almost 6000 soldiers.....not to mention 1000's of innocent civilians....and for what?

Our borders are unsecured and our deficit is exploding.

It's time to bring them home and REALLY protect you, me, and our families.....not send our brothers and sisters to death.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I freely admit that I fell for the pro-war, post 9/11 fervor. I was in the military at that time and was deployed to Kuwait in medical support of the OIF. When I was transferred to the Army Burn unit and saw first hand the high price/cost of this war. That was when I started to question everything and led me down the proverbial rabbit hole. All of this needless loss of life on both sides for what? So the CIA can make profits in the Afghan poppy/heroin trade? So we can have "cheap oil" out of Iraq? Last I checked gas prices are way up from what they were before the war. I think Ron Paul put it best in this debate with Huckabee:

So how many lives does it take to "save face"? At what point does the US and it's "allies" say we heave victory and come home. After 8 years and trillons of dollars spent in Afghanistan what has it gotten us? The supposed mastermind Bin Laden is still "loose". most likely dead, our country bankrupt, the patriot act taking the rights of the citizens away in the name of security and Afghanistan is a huge mess of corruption at the highest levels. Didn't Obama campaign on ending all of these wars and all he's doing is expanding them and wasting more money and pointless lives. I admitted that I was fooled by Bush and I have seen/treated severe suffering as a result. When will Obama supporters admit they were fooled? Let's hope we don't have to see suffering on the same scale that I have.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Kords21

Kords21.....man.

I love RP....no man spoke more truth than in that video.

Bring them troops home. Save our soldiers. Save civilians.

Honor them by bringing them home.

End this.

BTW...thank you for your service....and I'm absolutely grateful that you see things as you do.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Obama never said he would end the war in Afghanistan. He did say he would get the US troops out of Iraq. Of course, he also said he would keep some troops in Iraq. Good luck trying to figure what he is going to do.

All I know is that our troops are fighting with one hand tied behind their back.

Either they go after the enemy in Pakistan and Afghanistan or just end the war and send our troops home. Afghanistan will always be Afghanistan and they will continue to fight amongst themselves whether we are there or not.

I am surprised that the Obama supporters who decried the war and its price are not putting more pressure on him to bring our troops home.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
And 'paying for it' we are.... in 2006, back when killing innocent people was much less expensive, we were spending $18,000 per MINUTE to rape another sovereign nation. Source

I'm having a difficult time even finding CURRENT estimates.

We're not supposed to be paying attention to that though. It's not about the cost, that could have better supported our country internally. It's not about the men and women who won't be coming home alive. It's not about the children dying over there because of us. It's about being 'safe' from those pesky terrorists.

Come on, admit it, you feel safe.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

It's not right.

Was 3000 civilians a good trade for 6000 soldiers and countless civilians....and who knows how many children????

I dont' want to pay for this......i don't want to pay for the deaths of good men, women, and children.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

More military personnel engaging more enemies, equates to more deaths of said military personnel. That's how it works. And, more enemies, which an admiral has recently commented on, means more engagements. It's war, folks.

Pardon my spelling of personnel. I woud rather all things be personal.

It's war. And it's unwarranted.

Regroup, America. Make trade agreements. Not war agreements. And implement trade agreements so profitable, that the countries that you are involved with, must be the entities who control their own resources, for their prosperity.

It's all reallly easy.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Regroup, America. Make trade agreements. Not war agreements. And implement trade agreements so profitable, that the countries that you are involved with, must be the entities who control their own resources, for their prosperity. It's all reallly easy.

Well stated...unfortunately....so easily ignored.

End NAFTA and increase tariffs....enforce antitrust laws....protect our borders, control the fed....and by all mean PROTECT AMERICAN WORKERS.

Damn...isn't that what we all want?

top topics

join