It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idaho GOP Gov. hopeful jokes about buying 'tags' to hunt Obama

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Idaho GOP Gov. hopeful jokes about buying 'tags' to hunt Obama

rawstory.com

Aug 27, 2009 17:03 EST

An Idaho Republican gubernatorial hopeful insists he was only joking when he said he'd buy a license to hunt President Barack Obama.

Rex Rammell, a former elk rancher slated to run against incumbent C.L. "Butch" Otter in the May 2010 GOP primary, made the comment at a Republican rally Tuesday in Twin Falls where talk turned to the state's planned wolf hunt, for which hunters must purchase an $11.50 wolf tag.

When an audience member shouted a question about "Obama tags," Rammell responded, "The Obama tags? We'd buy some of those."

Rammell told The Ass
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Has the office of the President Lost all respect that a gubernatorial hopeful can joke about essentially killing the sitting President. I certainly don't agree with many of Obamas policies, but I don't feel that even in jest it is appropriate to threaten the President. What if some crazy takes that message to heart and actually tries.

I wonder if Rex Rammell might have a visit from the Secret Service and eventually the IRS in his future? I could almost feel sorry for Rex; it's dumbass comments that could trash his political career and haunt him for the rest of his life.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-8-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Of course the liberals never made a joke about Bush being killed during his presidency.

Listen, they are all children, if you take this crap seriously from either side of the fence then you're as misguided as they are.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

I didn't think it was appropriate to call for the killing of President Bush either.

Regardless of the Ideology of the man in office; the Office itself deserves respect.

I don't even think it would even be appropriate to call for Rex's murder or tag to kill him.

I just hate to see the American political scene to stoop to this level.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Has the office of the President Lost all respect that a gubernatorial hopeful can joke about essentially killing the sitting President.

Oh please, the Office of the President is not interchangeable with whomever the sitting president is. Did you develop amnesia of the last 8 years? Or perhaps you have lost your sense of context and humor. That's not to say that explicitly threatening the president is a light matter, but this was not the case. Furthermore, black humor criticism should not be used to limit expression of thought. It is a very slippery slope and one which exposes this notion of entitlement. Maybe I want to buy tags to hunt Rex Rammell. Is that somehow less worthy of attention, that person less worthy of life, or a "crazy" less likely to "take it to hart"? Or is it simply a matter of ideology and hypocrisy?

Originally posted by whaaa
What if some crazy takes that message to heart and actually tries.

"They say music can alter moods and talk to you
But can it load a gun for you and cock it too?
Well if it can, then the next time you assault a dude
Just tell the judge it was my fault, and i'll get sued"

Get real.

[edit on 28-8-2009 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Hunting does not necessarily mean to kill. Hunting down the fallacies of this man in DC now is in a sense hunting and with the morons in DC now you really do need a license to even look at their records. Putting a bounty on their political careers is what was meant and not to hunt him down like game! Geesh!

Zindo

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Good luck finding the video, but John Kerry joked about assassinating Bush during an interview on Bill Mahr. It actually happened quite a bit on the left, by many prominent people.

Bill Maher Tees Up Sen. John Kerry's Virulent Anti-Republican Campaign Speech

Maher: You could have went to New Hampshire and killed two birds with one stone.

Kerry: Or, I could have gone to 1600 Pennsylvania and killed the real bird with one stone.

Maher: Well, speaking of that, speaking of that, do you run into a lot of people these days who are considering how things have gone with the bloopers and practical jokes the past few years have a lot of buyer’s remorse about how they voted in 2004?

Also, Democrat governor Steve Beshear made a joke about assassinating Bush.

Kentucky Dem Governor Jokes About Bush Assassination At State Party Dinner

Gov. Steve Beshear, who has remained neutral during the presidential primary and who will serve as a Kentucky superdelegate at the national convention in August, avoided talking about the Democratic candidates by criticizing President Bush.

“When I mention that Democrats are problem solvers, I can think of only one Republican who can be a problem solver — that is Vice President Dick Cheney if he would just take George on a hunting trip,” Beshear said. Cheney accidentally shot fellow quail hunter Harry Whittington in Texas in 2006.

Just showing you this so that you can see the difference in reporting of it. I doubt anyone ever even heard of these two incidents.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
Hunting does not necessarily mean to kill. Hunting down the fallacies of this man in DC now is in a sense hunting and with the morons in DC now you really do need a license to even look at their records. Putting a bounty on their political careers is what was meant and not to hunt him down like game! Geesh!

Zindo

When I used to go deer/elk hunting; when I tagged my kill, it was most assuredly DEAD.

Did you read the article. Rex explicitly said 'tag'......

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Gee, I wonder how Rex baby would take to being "tagged"?
Repubs seem to have lost their minds! First eight years of disgrace under the Bush administration culminating in the destruction of the economy and huge political defeat, now they seem to be utterly adrift, no direction, no ideas, no leadership. If they continue this way, they assure their own destruction. even if they regained some power, they have no policy, nothing to implement, are devoid of ideas but for some pathetic re-run of Reagan. That makes them primed for failure in what may be their last chance.

[edit on 28-8-2009 by OldDragger]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Political suicide at it's best. I hope the MSM pick up on this. Even jokingly, that is a harsh, uncalled for statement that sends the wrong message to racists, hate groups and the right wing fanatical.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Wow, when I first read the title of this thread, I thought it said "Idaho GOP Gov. hopeful jokes about buying 'tags' to hunt Osama", and I was all for it! Funny how the eyes can play tricks on you!

Making jokes, or serious statements, about assasinating a sitting President are not only wrong, it borders on treason! I would say this about any sitting President, even Dubya (although I did secretly wish he would have gone hunting with Cheney!).

We are a nation of laws, and we have laws to remove a President. None of these laws include assasination. For an elected official to even jokingly suggest such a thing is grounds for impeachment, if you ask me. Not of the President, but the Jackhole making such tasteless jokes. The world is watching, and the example being set is sad.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Finally someone I can vote for. I love his apology too "Anyone who understands the law, knows I was just joking, because Idaho has no jurisdiction to issue hunting tags in Washington D.C."

What I don't understand is why we are not putting politicians on trial for treason when they pass laws or executive orders that violate the constitution. The same goes for cops and people in the 3 letter agencies that enforce unconstitutional laws. The punishment for treason is usually life in prison or execution. So the guy in the audience and Rammell are on the right track.

Maybe we could sell tags for people who are convicted of treason. We could also sell tags for people convicted for other crimes and are given the death penalty. We could make the tags expensive and put the hunt on pay-per-view to offset the court costs for his trial. I think this guy is on to something.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Why do we demand our Politicians act like Humans, then assault them when they actually do act like Humans? Is it any wonder we have these fake smiling plastic faced robots shouting talking points? We seem to spaz out at the first sign of Humanoid affability.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Why do we demand our Politicians act like Humans, then assault them when they actually do act like Humans? Is it any wonder we have these fake smiling plastic faced robots shouting talking points? We seem to spaz out at the first sign of Humanoid affability.

I'm human and I have neither joked nor been serious about "tagging & bagging" another human being.

Just sayin'

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I've done a bit of hunting, and honestly, I've let a number of prey go as I either wanted a possibly larger animal, or I was just practicing my stalking skills.

The dumbest thing I've ever done was stalk within six feet of a moose. Could have leaned out and touched him, but wanted to keep that small tree between us. They're the dumbest things on God's green earth, and even they don't know how they'll react to stimulus.

When young, I could actually run down rabbits. Caught them up and let them go. Right after catching my breath.

The best of times was hunting in a free-fire zone, no bag limit, no tags required, no night ban, and the ammunition was all free.

But I would imagine that in this period of our financial ruin and the end of our Republic, IF tags were offered up for Obama on E-Bay, you'd see bidding like you were selling a new 747.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This guy is a typical racist republican, what he is essentially saying is "Come on boys, let's go hunt us some *Snip*" Anyone who defends what that man said is showing their true colors. The amount of hate and racism in this country is absolutely disgusting.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/31/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Gotta love it when the racists cry racist when the only signs of racism is on their part.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

What is it about the right that makes them so damned tacky?

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Wimbly

Neither of those comments were threats towards assassinating Bush. The first one was regarding John Kerry going to the White House as PRESIDENT. He was a major candidate in 2004.

The second one is a crack about Dick Cheney's gun handling skills.

Get real.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Making jokes, or serious statements, about assasinating a sitting President are not only wrong, it borders on treason!

Comments like that border on censorship. Has it now become so "politically incorrect" to say "he is such a dumb donkey, I could kill him" that you face prison time? Freedom of speech is just that FREEDOM OF SPEECH!

A neighbor, accused of shooting into the home of another neighbor said in a USA court of law "One of these days the .....will walk out to their mail box and BOOM I am going to blow them away!" I was there, I heard it and aside from her lawyer saying objection strike that from the record, nothing was done, no arrests and she walked even though an eyewitness identified her at the shooting and another witness overheard her discussing the planning of the shooting.

So if it is OK for this woman to state she plans to kill us, in all seriousness, and in a court of law, why such hoopla over a joke? And yes it was serious, she tried to run my hubby down with her truck a week later.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH people FREEDOM OF SPEECH do not trash our right over a joke.

<<   2 >>

join