It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Musicians, Songwriters and Studio Geeks Thread

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

debor e dub a debor e dub re da....oh deborah....you look just like a zeb o ra....

like a white star....tangled and far....truly that's what you are...

catch a bright star and place it on your forehead say a few spells and baby there you go....

i'm gonna dance with my princess...by the light of a magical moon....as i go along my way..i say hey hey...

t-rex

that # takes me away....and the guitar tones too....speaking of which...jj cale - crazy mama, hendrix - spanish castle magic, beetles - tommorow never knows.....and recently tame impala - solitude is bliss, its not meant to be, lucidity...pretty much the whole album...

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

1) What is your favorite effect (hardware or software) and why?

i'm a reverb freak. i think late 1950s doowop stuff is the best stuff ever made. i love to take new electronic sounds and drench them in reverb. if you do it right it instantly sounds like you've travelled back intime with your techno equipment to record with the greats.

2) What is your favorite music software?

i would have said logic last year, but my mac had a tragic accident. i've become very acquinted with sonar studio version. the vocal editing software is just too damn convenient and the synth modelers are top notch (what else would you expect from roland?)

3) What is your songwriting process? (i.e. what do you do before you go into the studio to get the creative juices flowing?)

i lay down absolutely everything drum and bass and then some nice wood winds or keys or guitar and then decide whether or not to add vocals. if i decide to add vocals i loop sections and just speak nonsense until words start to form. i do this over and over until full verses start to form. this works suprisingly well. you'd think you'd speak nonsense baby talk for ever but usually it only takes 10 minutes for good coherant lyrics to come about. your subconscious works in mysterious ways

4) What is your favorite instrument (hardware or software)?

i love my roland 300sx. bought it as a poor college student. worked all summer at a sushi restarautn to get it and its never done me wrong. its kinda an old piece of equipment but you'd be suprised how many people at clubs and concerts are impressed to see a full lengthed, weighted keyboard on stage.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by snusfanatic

oops, i think i messed up number three. what is my song writing process:

this might sound very unhealthy and wierd but i just get messed up on alcohol and tobacco untill i'm completely relaxed. my song writing partner does his thing to get relaxed as well.

then one of us just takes over. me and my brother work as a team. you'd think this would be hokey but ironically stuff gets really edgy when two blood relatives are comfrotable enough with eachother to go ANYWHERE with a song.

its fun as hell.

i'm a huge believer in looops. i might loop a 2 minute bass and drum section for over 45 minutes while me and him 'get loose' and just shoot the sh$$ about everything in our live's/what movies we've seen lately etc. by the time you start to create its as iff what you're looping has taken control of you and its just extracting musical information from the two of you.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

Hell yeah bro!
John Lennon asked george martin to make tommorow never knows sound like it was being sung by thousands of monks from a mountain top, its also interesting that they used these 10 second tape loops of sounds like birds and guitars and added effects, then looped the tapes backwards, also first song to have backwards electric guitar.

Great stuff, love jj cale, also havent listen to too much tame impala, people keep telling me to check them out, havent made the leap yet.

you should get if you havent already the Rolling Stones 1968-172 work, all very important stuff.

Great to exchange, im also from oz

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Text1) What is your favorite effect (hardware or software) and why?

3) What is your songwriting process? (i.e. what do you do before you go into the studio to get the creative juices flowing?)

1) The Gibson Echoplex - used by Pink Floyd and other superstar 70's groups. Lush loops and endless echo that transport the senses to other worlds.
2) Not much into software, but I sometimes dabble in Apple Pro-Logic
3) Creative juices? Mine always flow better with a little smoke and/or wine. Process? Mostly coming up with guitar parts and then adding lyrics. I have written music parts to some lyrics before, but mostly I utilize a melody that bounces around in my head for a few days.
4) Favorite Instrument - That's a tough one cuz I drum and play guitar, but I started out on the guitar and it is better to facilitate a whole song. As far as sound, vocals raise the hairs on the back of my next more than anything. Sara McGloughlin's voice melts away my tension and put's me in a good mood. Chris Cornell too inspires me, so as far as listening, the vocals are my favorite instrument.
Gotta add roto toms, I just love em'! AND I love the Hammond B3 with the Leslie...WOW!

Peace,
spec

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
1) What is your favorite effect (hardware or software) and why? vox wah, digitech distortion pedals octavia and for bass i like to use overdrive a lot.

2) What is your favorite music software? acid techno. because you have to pay more attention adding bass and drum tracks.

i get really baked with my band. we all talk about our favorite serial killers, monsters from film noir, our favorite guns and boobs lot's of them.

fender stratocaster, dean mlx, gibson les paul, epiphone goth thunderbird bass

5) if you were to make a concept or method album what would it be about?

necromancy, the appocolypse, and a romance that would make you have a crying (bleep...boing boing)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

My favorite audio processing effect (besides the obligatory plate reverb) is stereo delay with modulating feedback. The old Roland SDE-2500 and SDE-3000 used to be wonderful for getting this effect. But now in the DAW age, I've found the the PSP 84 and PSP 85 (based off the old Lexicon prime time delay/reverb combo units) has an excellent modulating feedback stereo delay sound.

My favorite music software for composing is MOTU Digital Performer v7. I almost switched to Apple's Logic just prior to the release of version 7 of Digital Performer and I'm really glad I didn't. There are none of the hangups with Audio Units and VST plug-ins verification/re-verification in Digital Performer 7 like I've read so many Logic users bemoan about on support forums. I also find DP's CPU efficiency with running plug-ins to be superb.

I've helped many others with setting up Pro Tools, Pro Tools LE and other DAWs like Reaper, Reason, Renoise and others. I used to do all my mastering using TDM plug-ins in Pro Tools when I had my old 888 I/O system years ago. But now I can master in Wave Editor or Peak using Waves and other plug-ins and get the same or better results.

My songwriting process is to create scores, background ambience and funky downtempo ambient grooves. Either for TV/Film, or a music library known as Killer Tracks, I've been lucky enough to be one of their composers for almost 10 years now. I hope to get more TV/Film work as my contacts and abilities progress.

As for the actual process itself, I often hear a bass line in my head first, followed by manually playing in the drums using Battery or other kit-based drum instrument. Sometimes I use loops for inspiration but they usually don't end up being used in the finished product. This is all followed by electric piano, pads, strings and sometimes arpeggiated synth patterns or LFO based synth "stutter" patterns as well.

My favorite instrument would first be trumpet then keyboard (synth, etc.). I play trumpet in a few community symphonies in my area and also play trumpet when needed on my music library tracks. I also have a deep affection for the Fender Rhodes electric piano. I had the honor of meeting Harold Rhodes at the NAMM show years ago. He was a wonderful man and told me the whole story of how he originally created the Rhodes electric piano out of old aircraft parts to entertain recovering soldiers in hospitals after WWII. My own suitcase 88 Rhodes was taken to a cabin in Montana by my friends for "safe keeping"! I guess I'll have to visit them more often if I still want to play it. In the meantime I have Applied Acoustics Lounge Lizard plug-in and sample collections of the Rhodes to use as a very close (and less noisy) substitute.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Just wanted to stop by and say thanks to everyone who posted recently. Lots of cool info and ideas.

Keep rockin'

-TheAssoc.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate
Didn't see any sort of thread like this posted, so I decided to make one.

This is a thread for all the musicians, songwriters, and audio engineers out there to discuss our trade/hobby. All topics pertaining to writing and recording music are welcome.

To kick things off here are a few questions:

I'll go ahead and answer the above questions as they apply to me:

1) This varies for me depending on what I'm working on, but at the moment: Amplitube Metal. I can't afford a room full of amps, and this is the next best thing. Also, it's a multipurpose effect: I've used it to process synth sounds, acoustic drums, and drum machine sounds as well as guitar. All around useful effect.

2) Pro Tools LE. Wouldn't know what to do without it.

3) Coffee. Lots of it.

4) This also changes pretty frequently for me, but at the moment my Juno-106 is my favorite.

Feel free to add your own questions or bring up any topic you wish that is related to the music making process. The BTS music forum is underused, and this is as good a way to use it as any. Hope all the musically inclined people out there enjoy this.

TA

Firstly , great to see a thread like this on a forum like this. It makes it much easier for me to get my bearings around here. My music is in my signature should anyone want to have a listen. A lot of it is free. I make electronic experimental music , but im still a stickler for a good melody also.
My favourite effect would be known as an FSU effect. It stands for F--K stuff up and usually messes with buffer overrides and does random things to sound which you can catch , and manipulate further.
I started playing synth after i discovered "the model " by kraftwerk , and early depeche mode.
I program everything and micro-edit with automation on everything.
My goal is to create tracks that are both warm , but digital also , with strange futuristic noises , creating symbiotic textures , but also to make memorable melodies that get under peoples skin........the simpler the better ( like the beatles )
I master everything as i go along , so i dont really leave it to some separate process at the end. I call that part " Quality control " and involves mostly listening , and subtle EQ tweaks.

My favourite music software is FL studio. I enjoy making it do what the elitists say it can't do.

my songwriting process is that i work on at least 100 tracks at once , and i work on them for short bursts until they are done. No pressure , completely open-ended experimentation.

Favourite instrument would have to be the sequential circuits prophet 5 / native instruments pro-53 because its just so versatile and otherworldly sounding.

Check my signature out for 4 free albums and about 30 free tracks. Aurora is my new album , but it aint free =P
edit on 15-10-2010 by Reconciler because: more info

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

1) Favorite Effect - Marshall Guv'nor II Pedal as booster through my stack

2) Favorite Software - Reaper & Audacity

3) Songwriting Process - Depends, Sometimes start with a Riff or Melody & then add the lyrics. Other times the reverse

4) Favorite Instrument - Electric Bass

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
hey cool thread

1/ I like automated filter sweeps on lead synth or background synth patterns & sometimes gated too (i like psychedelic trance/techno)

2/ I have logic pro & reason but prefer reason tbh

3/ varies - this or that type of unmentionables

As for process, usually drums first then bassline-this pattern kind of dictates where the track will go, then go about sourcing some sounds etc etc

4/ I have a virus ti synth which is wicked but need reason 5/record package upgrade & find logicpro complex

as for influences i think Simon Posford (Hallucinogen & Shpongle), Merv Pepler (Eat Static) & Trent reznor (NIN) play a big part

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I summon this thread back from the void.............just for fun!

Since I am mostly a guitarist, I prefer Digitech processors. I own a few, but my favorites are the ValveFX, and GSP1101. Obviosly there is a whole host of effects available, but as far as favorite goes, I love tap delays. Headphone solos late at night with mega sustain FTW.

Cubase SX for production. Drumkit From Hell 2 for drums. Various VSt plugins for synths. 4Front bass VST for basslines. Audacity and/or Wavelab for mastering.

First, I wake up, roll out of bed. Then, I crack a Heineken or two. Then, I start a new project, and set the tempo I'm intersted in. I will make up some rhythyms to a click until I have the framework established. Then, I will add duplicate tracks on rhythm, and then go back and do 2nd rhythm guitars for harmonization, or enhancement. Then I will do some leads. Next, I program drums to the music - I like it syncopated. Then, I will program a bass line. Then synths. Last come vocals. After vocals, it is fine tuning and enhancements.

I'm a guitar player so that's easy!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate
Another thought on the subject:

Lately I've been trying to do something different with song structure. Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus gets boring after a while, but I like to maintain some semblance of the pop song format.

I've been a William S. Burroughs fan ever since reading Naked Lunch in high school. One thing I liked about his work is the 'cut up' method he used when writing. He would write words and phrases on a piece of paper, cut up the paper and string sentences together by randomly selecting pieces of the paper.

I've been considering applying this method to outlining the structure of a song. I haven't tried it yet, so I have no idea how well it might work, but considering my boredom with pop music structure and how well the method worked for Burroughs, I figure it's worth a try.

So, at some point (probably when I start on my next song) I'm going to write "verse", "chorus", "bridge", "coda", etc. (two or three times for each word to make things a bit more random) on a piece of paper, slice and dice, select pieces and see how things turn out.

Does anyone else do things like this, or am I being a little too creative?

TA

[edit on 27-8-2009 by TheAssociate]

Walter Murch, Famous movie editor gave a talk at a movie festival once..I got to sit in the front row and listen.
He described his editing of Apocalypse Now in a similar fashion. Cut up a lot of film. Mixed up a lot of storyboards...rearranged them, replayed them over and over..So, sounds like you are creating with the best of them!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
For Software RADAR sounds amazing and I like how it operates like a tape machine then your typical daw. Outside of that pro tools HD.

I don't own one at the moment but a real plate reverb is the richest smoothest sounding hardware effect you can get and digital doesn't hold a candle to it.

My favorite amps are vintage vox ac-30s, fender twins and Roland jazz choruses.

I love fender telecasters they are such a pure type of guitar.

I try to avoid unnecessary editing and processing. Overdubing and layers are fine but the goal of recording is capturing a performance. A group playing as one with all the inherent mistakes, it makes it real. Perfect music is boring and bled is GOOD.

The most important and often overlooked aspect for people is having a proper room. That is the biggest difference in professional studios.

edit on 24-8-2011 by drock905 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Bit late to the gig but I got here, OK?

Not really an effect but I guess I'll go with Guitar Rig 4 (I also have Waves GTR and Amplitude, but I always end up using GR. Ampeg SVX for bass). I love my Stillwell Rocket compressor also (it kicks like a...)

I like Nuendo but I couldn't afford it so, Cubase 5. Never used pro-tools. Love my Steve Slate drums also.

Eat breakfast and stretch, medicate. Actually I don't do much writing anymore, I'm more interested in the recording process as my creative outlet than writing songs anymore.

Yeah changes constantly, but right now my Ric 360/12 that used to hardly leave its case. I needed a 6 string Ric sound for a recording, so I strung it as a sixer with my usual jazz light 12's, and I can't put it down now lol. My MM Stingray is a close second.

I love having a home studio, I never leave.

edit on 8/24/2011 by ANOK because: to add the mojo

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

I add a little reverb on most of the acapella layers.

Back to the basics I would say. I use a lot the old Magix Music Maker software to record and another version of it to master the layers.

I listen to music or just a beat/ instrumental music and that gets me in the mood to be creative. Or I just watch the news and find/ see stuff that moves me to write a song about it. Or just personal experiences I use to write a song about

My favourite instrument is the piano.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by sir_slide

Hell yeah bro!
John Lennon asked george martin to make tommorow never knows sound like it was being sung by thousands of monks from a mountain top, its also interesting that they used these 10 second tape loops of sounds like birds and guitars and added effects, then looped the tapes backwards, also first song to have backwards electric guitar.

Great stuff, love jj cale, also havent listen to too much tame impala, people keep telling me to check them out, havent made the leap yet.

you should get if you havent already the Rolling Stones 1968-172 work, all very important stuff.

Great to exchange, im also from oz

hey man I'm a bit late on the reply
but cheers ay, glad u dig the tunemasters i mentioned as much as I do & I will check the stones works to be sure, if the other stuff is anything like gimmie shelter then I will have a sweet time digesting it all

peace brother, be well

-Bob

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalbeck

old school

btw to all people posting in 2011, the respected member who started this thread 'the advocate' has bailed to greener pastures & I wish him well, he still drops in from time to time but don't take it to heart if he doesn't read/reply, it just means he isn't here.

Peace,
-bob
edit on 24/8/11 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Hey Bob

Yes, I love these old school programs because they are lucid and still good enough for my purposes

Thanks for your hint concerning the OP

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join