It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile Shelters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I was looking at yurts yesterday and I thought they were great being how portable they were. Then I found an even more portable designed yurt and thought maybe you guy's would like a looksie.

www.willyourememberme.com...

I was thinking this could be modded to create a foldable door and a few windows built into the lattice framework, all that's needed is a way to lock the door and window frames into place so they're sturdy. I priced this thing to be under $1000 if put together yourself, which isn't too bad, but can be put together even cheaper if you gather pine saplings from the woods and make the poles yourself, need roughly 144 poles for this.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
This shelter is also known as a Ger, It has been a neccesity to the nomads of mogolia for thousands of years. Everything to construct a yurt can be carried on three animals or less, or on one ATV.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

Brilliant idea.
I tried building one 2 years ago but it was a horrible mess.
Fun to try though!

I'll have to try this guy's approach.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

Interesting. Any premade Gers you can buy online?

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by guppy

Here is a nice kit for those seeking more portability and easy set up. I have camped in one and they are quite nice.

www.goyurt.com...

The main drawback to these is obviously weight 200+ pounds.

Check out one of these Lodge style tents for a major weight savings and easier set up.
www.cabelas.com... arentId=cat20075

[edit on 26-8-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
yea, the traditional yurt does weigh a bit, but from the looks of his setup it seems to weigh a heck of a lot less than that considering he can lift, move, and set up all on his own.

I was just thinking, what if there was a way to redesign it even further for more portability. For example, have each pole divided in half, one half being hollow and the other have a smaller diameter fitting inside the hollow half.

When you go to unfold the whole thing you first extend all the poles, maybe some sort of pull system can be built in to open them all out to full length and lock them into place. Then just unfold the yurt as normal.

Then when it's time to pack up and move, fold the yurt back up and close the poles in on themselves. So, if the wall height of the poles is six feet, then a fully packed yurt would be a little over three feet. Small in height, but it might be a bit too wide for one person to carry around on their own, but at least it can be packed on top of a car or in the trunk, taken out and setup all by one person.

I'll try and make a small scale model within the next month. Would be kind of cool to see such a thing built.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Here's an idea, since the issue of weight came up, use bamboo poles. Light in weight, hollow, and naturally strong as all hell. Easily movable by one person. Since they are hollow, you would have an easier time nesting two poles into each other to create a collapsible pole to make the yurt fold and then close up down to three feet in height for packing.

I already have the plans drawn up, sometime in the next week or two I'm going to get the needed supplies for a scale model, Also came up with a design for the yurt covering to be completely closed up so as to keep out all nasty critters and a light weight floor structure as well. Might have a chance at building a full scale prototype early next year.

top topics

join