It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Tubular Clouds Defy Explanation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Mysterious Tubular Clouds Defy Explanation

www.wired.com

These long, crazy-looking clouds can grow to be 600 miles long and can move at up to 35 miles per hour, causing problems for aircraft even on windless days.

Known as Morning Glory clouds, they appear every fall over Burketown, Queensland, Australia, a remote town with fewer than 200 residents. A small number of pilots and tourists travel there each year in hopes of “cloud surfing” with the mysterious phenomenon.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Pic from the Australia clouds
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/95fac2f84f9dd4ae.jpg[/atsimg]

Pic from Brazil
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c2e4c46d6562.jpg[/atsimg]

Edit to add more info

[edit on 24-8-2009 by Roadblockx]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
After being on ATS for a few months now, I have browsed through several of the chem trail threads and have to admit that I have become more aware of planes flying over head. While I may not completely subscribe to the notion that planes are being used to spread chemicals (I am still reviewing the information so please don't flame me), this article was very interesting.

Some of the posters on ATS are pilots. Any ideas on what these rolling clouds are?

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Here is a definition from the wiki (still looking for a better source):

Through research, one of the main causes of most Morning Glory occurrences are due to the mesoscale circulations associated with sea breezes that develop over the peninsula and the gulf. On the large scale, Morning Glories are usually associated with frontal systems crossing central Australia and high pressure in northern Australia. Locals have noted that the Morning Glory is likely to occur when the humidity in the area is high, which provides moisture for the cloud to form, and when strong sea breezes have blown the preceding day.

Mystery Clouds

Looks like this happens in other places but its even rarer.

Similar phenomena also occur over the Central United States, the English Channel, over Berlin, Germany, Eastern Russia, as well as other maritime regions of Australia, but only the ones over Burketown are predictable at a certain time of year.

Could it be linked to Gravity Waves?

Gravity Waves

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1eaac65c8cf4.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7eab24819d48.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e715a4710142.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/ac2ade17dac06d80.jpg[/atsimg]

Edit to include additional info and pictures

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I am not well educated on this topic, but I can't help but think of air as "thin" water.
If that makes any sence?
Birds swim, clouds form due to the land they go over just like ripples in a creek due to annomalies on the bottom.
Anyways nice pics

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I dont think thier chemtrails or contrails. If they were man made chemicals, theyde not be as dense and spread out rather quickly. These ropes of clouds, or consistant with eachother adn retain thier mass, much like a weather system does.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I agree. Looks more like Gravity Waves causing the clouds which is something I hadn't heard about until 10 minutes ago.

I wonder how many of these are created and no one notices or understands where they came from. Better yet, could they be an indicator of changes in the earth? I know, bit of a reach.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Videos of these:

More pics:

www.weathervortex.com...

Explanation:

They are made by waves in the atmosphere known as “gravity trains” and behave rather like waves from a boat. When a boat tears across a lake, water in front of the boat is pushed upward. Gravity pulls the water back down again and this sets up a wave. Usually we cannot feel these gravity waves in the atmosphere because air is far less dense than water, but you are definitely aware of them in an aircraft when they make for a very bumpy ride, in clear-air disturbances, although usually without clouds.

Such rolls clouds are best known in northern Australia as the “Morning Glory”. This is one of the world’s greatest weather phenomena. Around this time of year, the Morning Glory rolls in near dawn as one or more tubular clouds rapidly advances low across the Gulf of Carpentaria, northern Queensland. It can span the entire horizon in a spectacular display up to 1,000km (620 miles) long. And because the cloud rides on a gravity wave in the atmosphere, it has become a magnet for gliders and microlights to ride like a surfer riding a wave. It is claimed to be one of the most exhilarating experiences in gliding.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

[edit on Mon Aug 24th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Great work TrueAmerican. Not sure how that topic brought in a whale like you as I have read a lot of your posts and find you to be dead-on and very informative.

I don't think I would have guessed that a gravity train ran through the sky. I still don't understand exactly how they are created but that should prove to be tomorrow's research topic.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roadblockx
Great work TrueAmerican. Not sure how that topic brought in a whale like you as I have read a lot of your posts and find you to be dead-on and very informative.

I don't think I would have guessed that a gravity train ran through the sky. I still don't understand exactly how they are created but that should prove to be tomorrow's research topic.

A whale like me?
You calling me fat? Oh puhleease... I know nothing really about meteorology. But I thought it was an interesting topic, and so just went and did some searching about it, that's all. No real insight required for this, just simple use of google. Pretty funny though, you cracked me up! Thanks for your compliments though- made my day.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Strange. Beautiful. And great for soaring.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I guess I captured one of these being formed overhead here in Christchurch, New Zealand a couple of years back, though it was 'ejected' out of a larger cloud...

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
And here are some incredible cloud formations/ Many appear to be UFO'S

www.youtube.com... OMG so big Witchita Roller Coaster Cloud
www.youtube.com... Double decker Flying Saucer Clouds
www.youtube.com... Bizarre Giant Mothership Cloud over Saudi
www.youtube.com... Another Ship shaped one
www.youtube.com... Huge pair of eyes in the clouds
www.youtube.com... a Huge Ring Cloud
www.youtube.com... Clearly something leaving the planet over Mexico… naturally.
www.youtube.com... Hole in Sky over Tampa (shorter)
www.youtube.com... Coolest Clouds / compilation
www.youtube.com... Strange clouds /a compilation
www.youtube.com... Another compilation Different ones Weirdest!
www.youtube.com... And still more very and mildly, unusual gas collections
www.youtube.com... 2 min video a few new clouds/some seen earlier
www.youtube.com... Are UFOs Hiding in Clouds /1957 Black Rings!

You tell me....?

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I was lucky enough to see a massive one roll over the top of my house in Sydney, Australia about 15 years ago. Up until today I had no idea what caused it, but it stuck in my mind all these years simply because it was an awe inspiring sight to behold.

Star and Flag

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
i faintly remember a discussion about these in meteorology class, a few years back.
I dont remember what i learned from it, so... apparently nothing. lol
but fairly " normal" if i remember right.

Cool effect though

[edit on 20-12-2009 by Ahmose]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
That is crazy!

i highly doubt that they are chemtrails, because, in all reality, they would dissipate very quickly.

new topics

top topics

join