It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: CNN Reports Apologies from Muslim Leaders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Many ATS members called for apologies from Muslim leaders, and it seems they are begining to come in. At 2:47 AM GMT CNN filed a story on Nick Berg that included the following:

"The United Arab Emirates condemned the beheading as a "heinous crime against the civilized world."

"We are ashamed because these terrorists carried out this revolting and inhumane act in the name of our religion and culture," UAE Information Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed al-Nahayan said in a written statement.

"This disgusting brutality can never be justified and has nothing to do with Islam or with our Arab values."

Read the full story here:

www.cnn.com...

[Edited on 5-13-2004 by Valhall]

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
The UAE got it right. It's not just a crime against an American guy. It's a crime against the civilized world and I am ecstatic to see a prominent Arab country coming out strongly against what happened.

Q

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Wow! I'm shocked, but happy to hear it. The UAE is a bit ahead of most of their neighbors, civilly speaking.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   
but words dont really do much, actions do.

maybe they should actually DO something.

i applaud this and i'm not trying to downplay it in anyway but words are meaningless without action to back them up.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Maybe their words are their actions. What have we heard from Oman, Qatar, etc.. Can you imagine what the local Abdul Q. Public is feeling right now? Diplomacy is war, with words. Seems like there is a calm voice there.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Even Hezbollah condemns it:
NY Post

"Hezbollah condemns this horrible act that has done very great harm to Islam and Muslims by this group that claims affiliation to the religion of mercy, compassion and humane principles," the Shiite terrorist group said from Lebanon.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Did they also protest against the bodies of the workers being dragged through the streets?

About the Italian hostage being shot?

About the reporter Pearle being murdered on film?

About Palastinian kids playing ball with the head of an israeli soldier?

Or are they only apologising because it was TELEVISED?

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Ya...right...

They can condem this all they want, but will it stop ?

No...it's just like the UN condeming anything, they don't have the power to stop it...

The Islamic clerics have lost their hold on their people, the radicals have no one to answer to...

Let me ask a question...

Has any of the condeming of these act's ever stopped the crimes ???

"i applaud this and i'm not trying to downplay it in anyway but words are meaningless without action to back them up."

ThePrankMonkey...I agree...but...there will never be any action to back up their words...

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Jesus, let's crucify them all, the radicals, the moderates, those that don't even know what's going on. The leaders make a gesture and it's "screw them." They have been dealing with this # for millenia, now you have been invited to the party its "kill them all."

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Jesus, let's crucify them all, the radicals, the moderates, those that don't even know what's going on. The leaders make a gesture and it's "screw them." They have been dealing with this # for millenia, now you have been invited to the party its "kill them all."

Well...

Time will tell...I'm 40 yrs old and have yet to see where "condeming an act " on any side produces a result...

If you have any examples then show me, I will admit when I'm wrong...

Don't forget "actions speak louder than words"

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   
The rules have changed. By doing this they are saying, "Homey don't play that." That is more than condeming something, it's also saying that if you want to this #, do it elsewhere. It is a message to the radicals. I'm still waiting for other nations to step up to the plate, ones that are considered allies of the US. BUT they've, the US, have to strategically back off now, to allow the gov.'s over there to justify that position.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
The rules have changed. By doing this they are saying, "Homey don't play that." That is more than condeming something, it's also saying that if you want to this #, do it elsewhere. It is a message to the radicals. I'm still waiting for other nations to step up to the plate, ones that are considered allies of the US. BUT they've, the US, have to strategically back off now, to allow the gov.'s over there to justify that position.

Sorry...like I've said...I've yet to see where this helps...

If you have any examples please show me...

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Despite the desire to see your words true Intrepid, I fear that they are no more than idealistic dreams.

They are just putting a face on for the media, thats all. Nothing will change. The only change occuring is a growing recognition by the US that it cannot win the peace.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
They are just putting a face on for the media, thats all. Nothing will change. The only change occuring is a growing recognition by the US that it cannot win the peace.

Well...Netchicken that may be true, the US cannot win it allone, we will need the help of the world...

The only way that peace can be truley be achieved, is for the Islamic clearics to step up to the plate, and say ( with both actions, and words ) that this this wrong, Allah does not condone this "crime against the civilized world."

Untill they act with both their actions and words, then we will take our first step for golbal peace..

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yoda
Untill they act with both their actions and words, then we will take our first step for golbal peace..

Bush and global peace ? - don't make me laugh. It will never happen with a pillock like that running the US.

The only hope for humanity is to realise that irrespective of religion or politics, every human being is worth something.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
The only hope for humanity is to realise that irrespective of religion or politics, every human being is worth something.

Tell that to the Islamic extremists, and if they all agree, at least we will be at peace with them if not the whole world. Will it happen? I don't think so. It seems that there always be Islamic extremists no matter what we do.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Well...Pisky...

It seems you miss-understand me...

Bush and global peace ? - don't make me laugh.

Bush won't be in there forever, but the conflict against peace will be for a long time ( and if you don't see this fact, then I'm sorry )...

This I agree with 1000%

But what my point is, unless the Islamic world, steps up to the plate, and takes action against these militants, then we will never know peace...

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 05:48 AM
link   
"but words dont really do much, actions do.
maybe they should actually DO something."

Along side calls for an apology there seems to be a predominant feeling on these threads that Muslims are all united under one faith and have accountability and some responsibility for actions undertaken by others in that faith.

This is of course nonsense.

There are many denominations of Islam, and many levels of practice from extremist to benign. There isn't a high order of Muslim clerics responsible for Muslims all over the world, Indeed the way Islam is practiced varies from house hold to house hold, let alone community to community and certainly not country to country.

Its like suggesting that the rector of Warwickshire in the UK is able to dictate and influence how a preacher in Texas deals with his congregation.

with I think 1 vocal exception Muslims in Britain have condemned this act but suggesting that any of them could have done something about it is a woeful misunderstanding of Islam.

What were Muslims around the world supposed to do ?

"Sorry dear, I'm not going into work today, I need to go to Iraq and tell those terrorist chaps that what they did is simply not done in well to do Kensington, let alone Putney!"

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I have seen the video @ ogrish.com

I am very saddened by this murder.

When I see things like this, I am glad Bush is prez. I can guarantee there is a fleet of AC-130 gunships "handling" these bastards as I type this.

I hold no ill will against the Islam community. But those responsible for this deserve Hard Ass American Revenge.

EDIT:

*Drinks a cold one listening to Live - Lightening Crashes in Honor of this Man.*

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by crisko]

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I agree with the statement above about talk being cheap, referring to the UAE. First off UAE deserves accolades. Second though, in order to show the US as a land not populated by hippocrites we have to get to the bottom of the Abu Ghraib deal and show no mercy to the culprits. We can't turn a blind eye to the scum in our country and expect the arab world to not do likewise.

I'm far from a Bush fan but like someone else said (sorry it's late i don't feel like looking to see who) this is one time when I am happy to have him in there. Or at least someone who's not afraid to sac up and do something. (yes i paraphrased very poorly, i know) But then again will he? He seems content to let the onsite powers that be handle things. And they will not 'sack up', whether good or bad who's to say.

new topics

top topics

join