It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.0 quake rocks Kermadecs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

A powerful 6.0 magnitude earthquake has struck off the remote Kermadec Islands north of New Zealand on Wednesday morning.

The quake struck at 9:20 am, 370 kilometres north of Raoul Island in the Kermadec Islands at a depth of 280 kilometres.

TVNZ

Thought someone would have posted this already, seems they have'nt.

Quiet a biggie yesterday especially when you consider just how deep this was, if it was a 6.0 that deep just imagine what it would have been at some of the depths we've recently had quakes in NZ at (15-50km depths). The Kermadecs are right on the edge of the pacific plate from the looks of it.

Kermadec Islands

Thankfully it was a good distance from us. Sure been alot of big ones recently, or at least its they've been reported alot more than usual. Ring of Fire is moving for sure looking at all the 5.0+'s we've had in the last few days around the pacific rim, although it always is, just seems alot more.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Sure seems like we've been having quite a bit of Earthquakes lately. This doesn't sit well with me due to all of these "prophesies" going around.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
the kermadecs have had lots of big quakes this year. as longs they keep coming, i doubt there will be anything huge.

the 7.8 quake a month ago down in New Zealands south island was the first big quake to hit that region in a long time.

the more quakes, the more pressure is released and the less chance of a huge one.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
the kermadecs have had lots of big quakes this year. as longs they keep coming, i doubt there will be anything huge.

the 7.8 quake a month ago down in New Zealands south island was the first big quake to hit that region in a long time.

the more quakes, the more pressure is released and the less chance of a huge one.

Yeah we've been lucky so far, hopefully as you say all this activity is gonna impede anything real big. Its been quite a long time since we had any sort of damaging quake here (that 7.8 didnt really damage since it was in a remote area, rattled some stores shelves). Compared to our infrastructure and population now to when we had the last biggie in Napier the damage would be immense if it hit a populated area, sorta glad im not living in Auckland now since in that place any mountain or large hill you could see (or even large lake for that matter) was basically a dormant volcano
or remnants of one.

Aucklands Volcanoes

Used to live on the coast 5 minutes drive from Takapuna and lake Pupuke. Great place to live if you could ignore the potential death dealers around you or right under you
(Although now I live with Ruapehu on the horizon and live 30 minutes drive from an extinct volcano
)

Still gonna keep my eyes out, better to be prepared than sorry. **fingers crossed**

top topics

join