It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blue Dog: 'Excellent idea' to start over on health care reform

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
SOURCE:politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

SAMPLE: "I cannot support this bill in the version it is in now," he said. "We can do better. We can make it better."

He emphasized to the skeptical crowds that he will work to reduce quickly-rising medical costs; that any bill must not add to the deficit; and that Blue Dogs like himself fought to delay consideration by the full House of Representatives to allow members to hear directly from constituents during the August recess.

When a questioner, Ray Evans, said he believed the President wants to do too much at once and asked whether Boyd would "be willing to scrap everything" and start over to do pursue reform more incrementally, the congressman responded: "I think that is an excellent idea … we may end up there."

-CNN

Sounds like there is quite a bit of dissent among the Democrats themselves over this whole thing. The fiscally conservative wing of the Democratic party (Blue Dog Dems) has been quite vocal in their opposition to elements of the single payer healthcare system proposal.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I don't think that's going to happen. The people pushing this plan are too tied to ideology to compromise even with skeptical members of their own party. They may repackage the public option under a different name, but they won't give up.

If I had to guess, the far left of the party will try to ram this down America's throat once they come back from recess using budget reconciliation in the Senate. They can probably get 50 votes in the Senate doing that. The House? It'll be close. If they take that route, its not going to bode well for them in 2010 or 2012. Granted, they're so tied to their far-left ideology that I'm pretty sure they don't care. Once in place, the program will be all but irreversible, so if they have to sacrifice their own congressional seats in order to pass it, I think they will. We'll see.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
They do need to start over and in a much more careful and thoughtful manner.

It seems that the Co-OP Insurance Plans might be where the consensus is in which case they need to do something unheard of --- do a few pilot programs in states with the highest unemployment like Michigan, Ohio, Mississippi, and maybe one big urban region to try it out and see what works and what doesn't.

In their rush to to dump everything we have they have only created chaos and outrage.

join