It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corruption fears over Afghan poll

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Corruption fears over Afghan poll

news.bbc.co.uk

An investigation by the BBC has found evidence of fraud and corruption in Afghanistan's presidential election.

Thousands of voting cards have been offered for sale and thousands of dollars offered in bribes to buy votes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
My comments? What can I say?

Our brave men and women are over there dying to give these people a better life and to rid them of Taliban tyranny.
I some times feel that they, the Afghan people, are laughing behind our backs, it saddens me.

I know that our troops are professionals and, along with our American and Canadian cousins, will do the job they were trained to do, no matter, however; I often feel that it is all in vain.

Please don't get me wrong, I spent the best 20 years of my life in the Military and 3 of my 4 children are also now serving, 1 about to do his second tour over there, so I will support them not matter what.

What I doubt is the motives of our politicians. It is my opinion, my personal opinion, that the Afghan people are too set in there ways to accept change. The local warlords and the Taliban will never go away. Okay, our troops can defeat them on the ground, but once the ground is taken and we move on, the vacuum left behind is quickly filled again be the very foe we drove out. In 5, 10 or 20 years time, when the allies have pulled out, Afghanistan will revert back to its old ways. Does that mean our comrades laid their lives down for nothing?

Please, someone out there in ATS reassure me that we will make a difference and that Allied blood is not being spilt in vain.

I am rambling now, so I will pass it over to you guys.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join