It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scarier than the Health care reform bill!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Part One

Cap and trade HR 2454

SEC. 144. SMART GRID PEAK DEMAND REDUCTION GOALS.

(e) Existing Authority and Requirements- Nothing in this section diminishes or supersedes any authority of a State or political subdivision of a State to adopt or enforce any law or regulation respecting peak demand management, demand response, distributed storage, use of distributed generation, or the regulation of load-serving entities. The Commission, in consultation with States having such peak management, demand response and distributed storage programs, shall to the maximum extent practicable, facilitate coordination between the Federal program and such State programs.

(f) Relief- The Commission may, for good cause, grant relief to load-serving entities from the requirements of this section.

(g) Other Laws- Except as provided in subsections (e) and (f), no law or regulation shall relieve any person of any requirement otherwise applicable under this section.

(h) Compliance- (1) The Commission shall within one year after the date of enactment of this Act establish a public website where the Commission will provide information and data demonstrating compliance by States, regional entities, and load-serving entities with this section, including the success of load-serving entities in meeting applicable peak demand reduction goals.

(2) The Commission shall, by April 1 of each year beginning in 2012, provide a report to Congress on compliance with this section and success in meeting applicable peak demand reduction goals and, as appropriate, shall make recommendations as to how to increase peak demand reduction efforts.

(3) The Commission shall note in each such report any State, political subdivision of a State, or load-serving entity that has failed to comply with this section, or is not a part of any region or group of load-serving entities serving a region that has complied with this section.

(4) The Commission shall have and exercise the authority to take reasonable steps to modify the process of establishing peak demand reduction goals and to accept adjustments to them as appropriate when sought by load-serving entities.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
part two

SEC. 304. GREATER ENERGY EFFICIENCY IN BUILDING CODES.
`(a) Energy Efficiency Targets-

`(1) IN GENERAL- Except as provided in paragraph (2) or (3), the national building code energy efficiency target for the national average percentage improvement of a building's energy performance when built to a code meeting the target shall be--

`(A) effective on the date of enactment of the American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009, 30 percent reduction in energy use relative to a comparable building constructed in compliance with the baseline code;

`(B) effective January 1, 2014, for residential buildings, and January 1, 2015, for commercial buildings, 50 percent reduction in energy use relative to the baseline code; and

`(C) effective January 1, 2017, for residential buildings, and January 1, 2018, for commercial buildings, and every 3 years thereafter, respectively, through January 1, 2029, and January 1, 2030, 5 percent additional reduction in energy use relative to the baseline code.

`(2) CONSENSUS-BASED CODES- If on any effective date specified in paragraph (1)(A), (B), or (C) a successor code to the baseline codes provides for greater reduction in energy use than is required under paragraph (1), the overall percentage reduction in energy use provided by that successor code shall be the national building code energy efficiency target.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
part three

(b) Establishment- The Administrator shall develop and implement, in consultation with the Secretary of Energy, standards for a national energy and environmental building retrofit policy for single-family and multifamily residences. The Administrator shall develop and implement, in consultation with the Secretary of Energy and the Director of Commercial High-Performance Green Buildings, standards for a national energy and environmental building retrofit policy for nonresidential buildings. The programs to implement the residential and nonresidential policies based on the standards developed under this section shall together be known as the Retrofit for Energy and Environmental Performance (REEP) program.

(e) State and Local Administration-

(1) DELEGATION- The designated State agency, agencies, or entities described in subsection (d)(3) may delegate performance of appropriate elements of the REEP program, upon their request and subject to State law, to counties, municipalities, appropriate public agencies, and other divisions of local government, as well as to entities regulated by the State.

In making any such delegation, a State shall give priority to entities that administer existing comprehensive retrofit programs, including those under the supervision of State utility regulators.
The State shall ensure accountability for the use of allowances provided under this section, and to the extent such allowances are sold by the State, for the proceeds.
States shall maintain responsibility for meeting the standards and requirements of the REEP program. In any State that elects not to administer the REEP program, a unit of local government may propose to do so within its jurisdiction, and if the Administrator finds that such local government is capable of administering the program, the Administrator may provide allowances to that local government, prorated according to the population of the local jurisdiction relative to the population of the State, for purposes of the REEP program.

(2) EMPLOYMENT- States and local government entities may administer a REEP program in a manner that authorizes public or regulated investor-owned utilities, building auditors and inspectors, contractors, nonprofit organizations, for-profit companies, and other entities to perform audits and retrofit services under this section.
A State may provide incentives for retrofits without direct participation by the State or its agents, so long as the resulting savings are measured and verified.
A State or local administrator of a REEP program shall seek to ensure that sufficient qualified entities are available to support retrofit activities so that building owners have a competitive choice among qualified auditors, raters, contractors, and providers of services related to retrofits.
Nothing in this section is intended to preclude or preempt the right of a building owner to choose the specific providers of retrofit services to engage for a retrofit project in that owner's building.

(3) EQUAL INCENTIVES FOR EQUAL IMPROVEMENT- In general, the States should strive to offer the same levels of incentives for retrofits that meet the same efficiency improvement goals, regardless of whether the State, its agency or entity, or the building owner has conducted the retrofit achieving the improvement, provided the improvement is measured and verified.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
part four

(f) Elements of REEP Program- The Administrator, in consultation with the Secretary of Energy, shall establish goals, guidelines, practices, and standards for accomplishing the purpose stated in subsection (c), and shall annually review and, as appropriate, revise such goals, guidelines, practices, and standards. The program under this section shall include the following:

(1) Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET) or Building Performance Institute (BPI) analyst certification of residential building energy and environment auditors, inspectors, and raters, or an equivalent certification system as determined by the Administrator.

(2) BPI certification or licensing by States of residential building energy and environmental retrofit contractors, or an equivalent certification or licensing system as determined by the Administrator.

(3) Provision of BPI, RESNET, or other appropriate information on equipment and procedures, as determined by the Administrator, that contractors can use to test the energy and environmental efficiency of buildings effectively (such as infrared photography and pressurized testing, and tests for water use and indoor air quality).

(4) Provision of clear and effective materials to describe the testing and retrofit processes for typical buildings.

(5) Guidelines for offering and managing prescriptive building retrofit programs and performance-based building retrofit programs for residential and nonresidential buildings.

(6) Guidelines for applying recommissioning and retrocommissioning principles to improve a building's operations and maintenance procedures.

(7) A requirement that building retrofits conducted pursuant to a REEP program utilize, especially in all air-conditioned buildings, roofing materials with high solar energy reflectance, unless inappropriate due to green roof management, solar energy production, or for other reasons identified by the Administrator, in order to reduce energy consumption within the building, increase the albedo of the building's roof, and decrease the heat island effect in the area of the building.

(8) Determination of energy savings in a performance-based building retrofit program through--
(A) for residential buildings, comparison of before and after retrofit scores on the Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Index, where the final score is produced by an objective third party;
(B) for nonresidential buildings, Environmental Protection Agency Portfolio Manager benchmarks; or
(C) for either residential or nonresidential buildings, use of an Administrator-approved simulation program by a contractor with the appropriate certification, subject to appropriate software standards and verification of at least 15 percent of all work done, or such other percentage as the Administrator may determine.

(9) Guidelines for utilizing the Energy Star Portfolio Manager, the Home Energy Rating System (HERS) rating system, Home Performance with Energy Star program approvals, and any other tools associated with the retrofit program.

(10) Requirements and guidelines for post-retrofit inspection and confirmation of work and energy savings.

(11) Detailed descriptions of funding options for the benefit of State and local governments, along with model forms, accounting aids, agreements, and guides to best practices.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
What gets my goat is that the government is the largest pollution maker in the country. Do you think they will pay a carbon tax? Or will they be exempt because they are the government? I hope this crap doesn't pass!

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
We'll be like North Korea, lights out at night.

The good thing is it will never happen, it says this is for 2012

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
part five

I was looking specifically at things that would have to do with my home. There is much more but I can't seem to get access to any of the Bills today.

SEC. 204. BUILDING ENERGY PERFORMANCE LABELING PROGRAM.
(a) Establishment-

(1) PURPOSE- The Administrator shall establish a building energy performance labeling program with broad applicability to the residential and commercial markets to enable and encourage knowledge about building energy performance by owners and occupants and to inform efforts to reduce energy consumption nationwide.

(2) COMPONENTS- In developing such program, the Administrator shall--
(A) consider existing programs, such as Environmental Protection Agency's Energy Star program, the Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Index, and programs at the Department of Energy;
(B) support the development of model performance labels for residential and commercial buildings; and
(C) utilize incentives and other means to spur use of energy performance labeling of public and private sector buildings nationwide.

4) STATE IMPLEMENTATION OF PROGRAM-

A) ELIGIBILITY- A State may become eligible to utilize allowance value to implement this program by--
(i) adopting by statute or regulation a requirement that buildings be assessed and labeled, consistent with the labeling requirements of the program established under this section; or
(ii) adopting a plan to implement a model labeling program consistent with this section within one year of enactment of this Act, including the establishment of that program within 3 years after the date of enactment of this Act, and demonstrating continuous progress under that plan.
(j) Public Outreach- The Secretary of Energy and the Administrator, in consultation with nonprofit and industry stakeholders with specialized expertise, and in conjunction with other energy efficiency public awareness efforts, shall establish a business and consumer education program to increase awareness about the importance of building energy efficiency and to facilitate widespread use of the labeling program established under this section.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
What gets my goat is that the government is the largest pollution maker in the country. Do you think they will pay a carbon tax? Or will they be exempt because they are the government? I hope this crap doesn't pass!

Well if they are exempt from the health care bill, which they Are. Then I guess it would logically follow that they will be exempt from this also!!

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
We'll be like North Korea, lights out at night.

The good thing is it will never happen, it says this is for 2012

This Bill is on the Senate Calendar.
It has been through allllll the committees so I am guessing that this will be voted on soon?

Check my post- part two- 1(a)

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I am wondering if there is a possibility, that the health care bill is just a smoke screen to get this bill through without a lot of attention?

Despite living in the age of information, most of us only get a glimpse of our energy consumption when the utility bills come once a month.
In people's homes, the smart grid should mean more detailed information through home energy-monitoring tools.
These can be small displays or Web-based programs that give a real-time view of how much energy you're using, which appliances consume the most, and how your home compares to others.
Just surfacing that information will give people ideas on how to shave energy bills by 5 to 15 percent,
To reduce demand during the high cost peak usage periods, communications and metering technologies inform smart devices in the home and business when energy demand is high and track how much electricity is used and when it is used.
To motivate them to cut back use and perform what is called peak curtailment or peak levelling, prices of electricity are increased during high demand periods, and decreased during low demand periods.
It is thought that consumers and businesses will tend to consume less during high demand periods if it is possible for consumers and consumer devices to be aware of the high price premium for using electricity at peak periods.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Iseekthetruth!!!!!!!!

That's a lot of legislation you're quoting ...

I've only had a cursory quick read. But the bill establishes an agency to be responsible for setting domestic/industrial energy reduction targets, amends building codes to encourage construction of new, better energy efficient homes, workplaces and provides funding for the renovation of older properties to bring them up to code too. And provides for more comprehensive labeling of consumer items, telling John Doe which washer or cooker is more energy efficient than the next.

I don't understand your hostility.

Much of those proposals are commonplace in Europe, for example. Surely better energy efficiency and a reduction in your own fuel bills can only be a good thing ?

Apart from the funding ... what's the problem with it ?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Wow, looks like myself and many others were correct. DO not worry about the health care bill, they said. Worry about the other bills that are getting free passage because of our bickering. They wanted us to be down each others throats. Every legitimate "truther" has made the astute assertion that there is a controlled opposition. The republicans were not looking out for the people's best interests when they were simply fear mongering to cause the people to attack one another and to chase false alarms. It worked, and I am ashamed that the people have failed again. I am ashamed. When will people stop trying to end Obama and see past that? When will you all see that you are being led astray by your hate of "liberal this and liberal that" When will you see that the Obama hatred will get us nowhere. Same goes for the Bush hatred and blame. It gets us nowhere and simply lets those who are truly in power have a free reign to do as they please. I can not believe that the people are so dumb....Why will no one, even the ones who claim to deny ignorance, not wake up? Please, someone let me know that you are out there! Let me understand that you know there is a controlled opposition that is stirring up the hate rhetoric on purpose. Let me know, because everywhere I look I see the sleep walkers who feign consciousness, caught up in misinformation and partisan hate. Someone anyone, let me know that everyone over 35 isn't a retched sore upon our beautiful planet, because it seems like only those younger than that age can see that TPTB have the discussion controlled on both sides....it seems everyone who has grown old is caught up in the sensationalist trap that has been sprung.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   

It has already passed the House. It was passed on a Friday night in June of this year.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Obama wants the Senate to pass it before December so he can brag about it during the international energy talks in Copenhagen to be held in December.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Originally posted by Ulala

Much of those proposals are commonplace in Europe, for example. Surely better energy efficiency and a reduction in your own fuel bills can only be a good thing ?

It will create another huge bloated bureaucracy that taxpayers will have to pay for.

It will pay bonuses, bounties (yes, that is a word they are using) and premiums to manufacturers of high efficiency appliances.

There are already several pre-determined winners in this:

General Electric Corp - already has billions invested in lobbying efforts, and has already began to design appliances to take advantage of the 'bounties'.

Algore, etc, will be part of the huge financial boondoggle created to manage the "trade" part of Cap and Trade. They will be the new energy speculators, and it will make them billions of dollars.

There is one big loser in this: the American taxpayer.

Penalties will be imposed on companies that exceed the carbon limits. And penalties, taxes, etc., are always passed on to the consumer.

Obama has already said that it will bankrupt the coal industry. Before you applaud that, research how much coal contributes to our energy needs.

Obama has already said that energy costs will skyrocket because of this legislation. (Where you got the idea that this will lower energy costs is beyond me...)

And the saddest thing is, this is all going for naught. India, China, and other nations have already pledged to not participate in these eforts to reduce carbon emissions. The US will be doing this alone, and any efforts will be wiped out by polluter nations.

We already have EnergyStar labeling on major appliances. Why do we need another system?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I've only had a cursory quick read. But the bill establishes an agency to be responsible for setting domestic/industrial energy reduction targets, amends building codes to encourage construction of new, better energy efficient homes, workplaces and provides funding for the renovation of older properties to bring them up to code too. And provides for more comprehensive labeling of consumer items, telling John Doe which washer or cooker is more energy efficient than the next.

The last time I looked this was the U.S.A. not europe and I don't care what they are or are not doing.
And yes the financial aspect of this bill is frightening, you should go back and read the bill. Like I said I was just looking at what it would do to me and my home.
None of this is necessary. I have a few links that you should check out, there are a couple that are from Govt. sources that you might find interesting.
en.wikipedia.org...
ice sheet in north America
www.sciencedaily.com...
A snapshot of New Zealand’s climate 40 million years ago reveals a greenhouse Earth, with warmer seas and little or no ice in Antarctica, according to research recently published in the journal Geology
The rock sequence from the cliff face covers a time span of 70,000 years and shows cyclical temperature variations with a period of about 18,000 years. The temperature oscillation is likely to be related to the Earth’s orbital patterns.
www.scotese.com...
During the last 2 billion years the Earth's climate has alternated between a frigid "Ice House", like today's world, and a steaming "Hot House", like the world of the dinosaurs.
data.giss.nasa.gov...
Monthly mean global surface temperature 1996-2008
www.firstscience.com...
Earths History: Freeze and Fry
www.epa.gov...
The Earth's climate has changed throughout history. From glacial periods (or "ice ages") where ice covered significant portions of the Earth to interglacial periods where ice retreated to the poles or melted entirely - the climate has continuously changed.
www.crrel.usace.army.mil...
Geology: Ice AgesHistory
www.ucpress.edu...
Frozen Earth
The Once and Future Story of Ice Ages
When have Ice Ages occurred?
www.museum.state.il.us...
Many glacial advances and retreats have occurred during the last billion years of Earth history.
Read more: science.jrank.org...
Ice Ages - The Most Recent Ice Era, Evidence For The Ice Ages, Causes Of The Ice Ages

pubs.usgs.gov/gip/ice_age/ice_age.pdf
US Dept.of the Interior- The great ice age.
whittsclass.com/pdf/Ice%20Ages.pdf
Ice Ages of Earth's History 86
www.dmns.org...
DMNS-Ice Age in Depth
arcticstudies.pbworks.com...
IceAges
www.esd.ornl.gov...
Around 14,000 years ago (about 13,000 radiocarbon years ago), there was a rapid global warming and moistening of climates, perhaps occurring within the space of only a few years or decades.
see chart: Global Temperatures for the past 425,000 years, it is a good visual of the climate cycle of the earth.

www.worldclimatereport.com...
see chart: global Temperature reconstruction 95%
ff.org...
Earth's atmosphere today contains about 370 ppm CO2 (0.037%). Compared to former geologic times, our present atmosphere, like the Late Carboniferous atmosphere, is CO2- impoverished! In the last 600 million years of Earth's history

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Check out this thread to find out more about the "thinking" behind this bill.

This bill is all about more gov't control and taking whatever money you have left over after paying for "free" healthcare.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kords21
reply to post by jsobecky

Check out this thread to find out more about the "thinking" behind this bill.

This bill is all about more gov't control and taking whatever money you have left over after paying for "free" healthcare.

Very interesting and thank you for pointing me in that direction!
Now, this bill is on the Senate calendar, we Must get the word out that this is going to happen if we don't let our senators know that we neither Need or Want this cap and Trade Bull S.H.I.T.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
It's already established that only 4-5 companies will control the Carbon tax Credit brokerage. Two are OWNED outright by GE and ALGORE and his crook buddies. This will have ZERO effect on the problem they are manipulating. If anything it will allow them to expand because they will show is studies that we are not doing enough so they will go further and further with restrictions and control of our nation.

If its so good in Europe why is it that your tax burden is double what ours is? We in the US don't want or need this trillion dollar+ bureaucracy and drain on our already stressed economy. All prices for the goods we use everyday are going to rise 20-30%.

In Europe the transportation costs are much less than here to get the staples needed to market. Here those costs with this law will be prohibitive. This is al smoke and mirrors and will be used to control the citizenry and NOT to improve the environment!
Zindo

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

home.howstuffworks.com...
From our calculations and assumptions above, we know that a solar panel can generate 70 milliwatts per square inch * 5 hours = 350 milliwatt hours per day. Therefore you need about 41,000 square inches of solar panel for the house. That's a solar panel that measures about 285 square feet (about 26 square meters). That would cost around $16,000 right now. Then, because the sun only shines part of the time, you would need to purchase a battery bank, an inverter, etc., and that often doubles the cost of the installation.
If you want to have a small room air conditioner in your bedroom, double everything.
Because solar electricity is so expensive, you would normally go to great lengths to reduce your electricity consumption. Instead of a desktop computer and a monitor you would use a laptop computer. You would use fluorescent lights instead of incandescent. You would use a small B&W TV instead of a large color set. You would get a small, extremely efficient
refrigerator. By doing these things you might be able to reduce your average power consumption to 100 watts. This would cut the size of your solar panel and its cost by a factor of 6, and this might bring it into the realm of possibility.
The thing to remember, however, is that 100 watts per hour purchased from the power grid would only cost about 24 cents a day right now, or $91 a year. That's why you don't see many solar houses unless they are in very remote locations. When it only costs about $100 a year to purchase power from the grid, it is hard to justify spending thousands of dollars on a solar system.

From what I can find on home wind turbines, it would cost anywhere from about $1,500. For one that will Not run everything in your house to about $15,000 for one that will, up to around $35,000.
You also have to take into account the amount of sun and wind in your area for either of these options.
We also have to add the cost of new doors, windows, appliances, insulation and if you have central air, apparently a special roof?
Who the hell is going to be able to afford all this crap for something that is not even necessary???

new topics

top topics

join