It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Makes Security Changes to Web Site Following Complaints Over E-Mails

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   

White House Makes Security Changes to Web Site Following Complaints Over E-Mails

www.foxnews.com

After the White House took heat for asking people to report "fishy" information about health care reform, the e-mail address set up for that purpose became inactive Monday.

It's unclear whether the White House pulled the plug on the controversial account, [email protected], or whether there is a bug in the system.

But the error message that shows up indicates it is a permanent change.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
So, for the time being, the snitch account the White House had set up is down. This probably will not be the end of the ordeal, though: the article states that it's unclear whether the email account has been taken down deliberately, or if it's a system glitch. Personally, I'm betting it's either a bug, or that some new system will come along for them to collect information on dissenters.

TA

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I figured it backfired on them and they are going back to square one. This administration was famous for having a huge contact list during the election and some in the administration probably felt this was a good way to increase it.

I feel Obama himself had little role in this mess.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I figured it backfired on them and they are going back to square one.

Yep. Too many people decided to not take this lying down, and they decided it was safer to scrap this version of the program and start from the beginning with a more discreet one. Speculation, I know, but based on the available evidence, that's what seems likely.

TA

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
White House says it did send unwanted e-mails

www.breitbart.com...

WASHINGTON (AP) - After insisting no one was receiving unsolicited e-mails from the White House, officials reversed their story Monday night and blamed outside political groups for the unwanted messages from the tech-savvy operation.
White House online director Macon Phillips said in a blog posting that independent groups—he didn't name them—had signed-up their members to receive regular updates about Obama's projects, priorities and speeches.

The White House had consistently denied that anyone who hadn't sought the e-mails had received them.

"It has come to our attention that some people may have been subscribed to our e-mail lists without their knowledge—likely as a result of efforts by outside groups of all political stripes—and we regret any inconvenience caused by receiving an unexpected message," Phillips wrote.

"We're certainly not interested in anyone receiving e-mails from the White House who don't want them. That's one reason why we have never—and will never—add names from a commercial or political list to the White House list," he wrote.

The quasi-apology came hours after the top Republican on the House's oversight committee, Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., asked the White House about its ambitious e-mail plan, which included a message from top political adviser David Axelrod urging support for a health care overhaul.

Issa also asked White House counsel Greg Craig whether officials were collecting names of the president's critics.

"I am concerned about the possibility that political e-mail address lists are being used for official purposes," Issa wrote. "This, again, raises questions about this administration blurring the lines between political and official business."

Issa also wanted to know how, exactly, the White House was using a separate e-mail account designed to track what it called "fishy" claims about its proposed overhaul—an account that was disabled Monday afternoon.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

White House says it did send unwanted e-mails

For some strange reason, that doesn't surprise me in the least. It's good that they got called on it, but it should never have happened in the first place. There is plenty of propaganda to go around without them adding to it. Thanks and star for the info.

TA

new topics

top topics

join