It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swimmers are told to wear burkinis

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Swimmers are told to wear burkinis

www.telegraph.co.uk

British swimming pools are imposing Muslim dress codes in a move described as divisive by Labour MPs.

Under the rules, swimmers – including non-Muslims – are barred from entering the pool in normal swimming attire.

Instead they are told that they must comply with the "modest" code of dress required by Islamic custom, with women covered from the neck to the ankles and men, who swim separately, covered from the navel to the knees.
But across the UK municipal pools are holding swimming sessions specifically aimed at Muslims, in some case imposing strict dress codes.

Croydon council in south London runs separate one-and-a half-hour swimming sessions for Muslim men and women every Saturday and Sunday at Thornton Heath Leisure Centre.

Swimmers were told last week on the centre's website that "during special Muslim sessions male costumes must cover the body from the navel to the knee and females must be covered from the neck to the ankles and wrists".

There are similar rules at S#horpe Leisure Centre, in North Lincolnshire, where "users must follow the required dress code for this session (T-shirts and shorts/leggings that cover below the knee)".

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-8-2009 by ashnomadonte]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Under the rules, swimmers – including non-Muslims – are barred from entering the pool in normal swimming attire.

Instead they are told that they must comply with the "modest" code of dress required by Islamic custom, with women covered from the neck to the ankles and men, who swim separately, covered from the navel to the knees.

What the heck is going on in the UK?

WARNING COMMING SOON TO AMERICA!!! We had better watch out for this crap this is to far this is when PC goes bad and wicked wrong.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
yeah this will not happen here in America. Makes me sick to even contemplate it. Wow is about all I can say.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This is an outrage.

They are OUR swimming pools, so why should we have to change just to keep the Muslims happy?

I'll settle for this ONLY if Muslim women start wearing mini skirts and chainmail bra's. Until then....

This just basically adds fuel to the fire and further 'justifies' the cause of the BNP.

Why do i get the feeling ALL of this is orchestrated??

[edit on 16-8-2009 by mr-lizard]

+44 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Okaaaaay

Now let's read the entire article, folks.

But across the UK municipal pools are holding swimming sessions specifically aimed at Muslims, in some case imposing strict dress codes.

Croydon council in south London runs separate one-and-a half-hour swimming sessions for Muslim men and women every Saturday and Sunday at Thornton Heath Leisure Centre.

Swimmers were told last week on the centre's website that "during special Muslim sessions male costumes must cover the body from the navel to the knee and females must be covered from the neck to the ankles and wrists".

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Therefore, NO-ONE is going to make you wear Muslim dress to swimming pools IF you attend the NON-muslim sessions, ok?

It's only during the MUSLIM sessions that Muslim attire must be worn and respected.

Anything can be sensationalised if it's quoted out of context

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ashnomadonte

Then I will go to and swim naked. AND ecourage all the women I know to do the same!
That'll show them!

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by St Vaast

Buh buh buh taking things out of context is the only way some people have to prove their beliefs. How dare you try to take them away from them!!!

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Ya know, this is almost the same swim attire that is being banned in swimming races all over the world . . . for next year.

If you read the entire article, it only applies to those in attendance during assigned swimming periods for Muslims. Which I find to be quite nice. Too bad they are being segregated in a way, but it allows anyone who is a practicing Muslim the comfort of swimming with others who are like-minded.

So, KUDOS to that pool for being accommodating and compassionate to patrons.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

T&C won't let me post the entire article so I am sorry for that still why should they have separate times? It is ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashnomadonte

T&C won't let me post the entire article so I am sorry for that still why should they have separate times? It is ridiculous.

It is indeed. I have never seen Catholics or Buddhists asking for seperate swimming times, so why should muslims get the special treatment?

link   
more FEAR designed by MSM. Why?

Don't believe the hype..

You're all better than that - DESIGNED FEAR.

link   
reply to post by ashnomadonte

Because people are sometimes best segregated? Especially when both sides tend to easily offend the other? And are so very different in far as taboos?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Ridiculous statement. Look at the different approaches of each particular group you are talking about.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

I politely ask you to elaborate on why my statement was 'ridiculous'?

Can you possibly point out other religious groups getting special swimming times??

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Look at the cultural differences and practices of the groups you are talking about.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Ok I want you to know in now way am I trying to flame you here however, shoot why not segregate drinking fountains next? Why not separate changing rooms for non Muslims and Muslims why not make the UK in to two different countries the non Muslim UK and the Muslim UK? imo this kind of segregation breads intolerance on both sides of the isle and will lead to nothing good.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Well, it's against my religion and beliefs to change my behavior for the religions or beliefs of another. I am not joking!!
You don't want to see my behavior, then go to a scene exclusive to your religions.

Why must everyone comply to make the religions happy?
Why don't they comply to make the rest of us happy?
It's no different than what they are asking.

Talk about sending us back into the dark ages.
The next thing you know they will want to take away a woman's rights, just because she is a woman. Oh, wait! They never had any over there did they?

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Look at the cultural differences and practices of the groups you are talking about.

Mate, this isn't Afghanistan.

If muslims feel like they cannot swim with the citizens of the UK, then maybe they should consider not living in the UK?

It's a thing called integration.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Ah so enforced integration perfectly ok? You're going to be offended at this no matter what I can see now. Have fun with that.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

NO one should get any special treatment based on religion NO ONE!

It is only fare, and just that everyone gets treated the same as a human being and if you can't deal with that than so be it go home. This world is a big melting pot for the most part so when in Rome do as the Romans do.
It is only fare and right.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join