It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake Facebook Account Created To Send Death Threats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This is just plain stupid. But, in today's environment, I can definitely see this happening again for more sinister reasons other than "to get a reaction."

Man pleads guilty to racial threat using fake Facebook account

An African-American man has pleaded guilty after being accused of impersonating a white supremacist in a fictitious Facebook account to make death threats against an African-American university student.

Dyron L. Hart, 20, of Poplarville, Mississippi, pleaded guilty Wednesday before U.S. District Judge Kurt D. Engelhardt to one count of communicating threats in interstate commerce, according to a Department of Justice statement.

Hart admitted creating the fictitious account in November, pretending to be a white supremacist outraged by the election of Barack Obama as the nation's first African-American president, the statement said.

He then transmitted a death threat via Facebook to an African-American student at Nicholls State University in Louisiana, saying he wanted to kill African-Americans because of Obama's election, according to the statement.

A court document provided by the U.S. attorney's office said Hart told an FBI interviewer that he intended the threat to be a prank "to get a reaction."

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
lol when will peope learn, dont make death threats or joke about bombs at airports! (and don't mess with football)

I do sort of think this is stupid but then if he had phoned in a death threat that is against the law, what makes the interet any differnet?

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

It's not stupid in that way. Unless you actually know how to hide your tracks on the net, it is easy for law enforcement to track your movements on the net. Why anyone would think that they'd get away with something like this is beyond me.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Hmmmm, I think that this matter can be resolved by this....

"Hahahah come and get me sucka and by the way thanks for posting evidence over the internet and btw I Pwned yr mom LoL U SuxXor"

I hope this doesant have some wide reaching social effect because it is juvenile. Seriously, death threats over the internet, wheres the class? You at least need to cut a load of differant sized letters out of magazines and old newspaper then prittstick them onto a nice piece of card.

[edit on 14-8-2009 by Majestic23]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Makes me wonder how many other people are out there pretending to be extremists that oppose their own views in order to get a reaction or defame the opposition.

top topics

join