It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buckets for food.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I was hoping to pick up some food grade 5 gallon buckets locally but couldn't find anyone with extra.

So anyone got suggestions for a way to grab some food grade buckets? Perhaps alternatives to 5 gallon buckets would be in order.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Home Depot sells 5 gallon buckets similar to 'mud' buckets (drywall mud) brand new.

I believe they are now selling the lids as well.

You may be able to get 5 gallon mud buckets at construction sites.
Free most times.

Not food quality, but dry food inside plastic bags inside the buckets ought to work well.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Many ice cream cone shops give away their empty Ice cream buckets. I think they are around 5 gallons.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Walmart & Lowes sell 5 gallon buckets for about $3.50 and the lids for another dollar and change if I am not mistaken.

They work great for rice... freeze the plastic bags of rice for a day or two (to kill any insects /eggs then throw them in the bucket & close the lid... sure you could get liners and oxy packets to make them last 10+ years but just doing this, they should be fine for at least 5.

[edit on 14-8-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Use caution when choosing the type of rice for this. Some rice (especially mixed rice and wild rice) contain oils that can go rancid in as little as six months. White rice and minute rice can last a lot longer but they have negligible nutritional content.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Thanks for that info I didn't know about the oils,what type of rice could you recomend?

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by frostback

Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to finishing my research on this. When I do I'll post what I find.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

You might also try grocery stores with bakeries. Frosting comes in 5 gallon buckets. So do pickles at McDonald's and other restaurants. I used to be able to get them both places here, free, but people are wising up and the supply has dwindled. Wal-Mart does carry them, as many folks have said.
For long term storage, white rice is what I choose. It has less nutrients than wild or brown rice but as other folks mentioned, the oils in those go bad in a fairly short time. I avoid Minute Rice because it's more expensive and even more stripped of nutrients. Also, I put a bottle of multivitamins in with each 5 gallon bucket of rice. That way it's there when I 'pop the top'. Lately, I've started doing a storage section with 1 and 2 gallon buckets, too. They are a lot easier to store on the higher shelves and to lift. 5 gallons of rice is a Lot to have open at one time if you use the rotation method and incorporate your storage food into your normal diet. Also, you can use other things you may already have. A 2 liter soda bottle holds approximately 3lbs. of rice (or stores water) Do you drink coffee? Re-use the containers for storage of... anything. =)
Good hunting!
~prep

top topics

join