It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was bored so I did the math...how big is the estimated universe!? Anyone?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Most people in this topic knows about the following example ( comparing the visible universe to the size of a golf ball)

“The Universe is so huge in fact that we’ll have to play around with scales so one can get a better idea.

According to the standard inflationary model of cosmology, the visible portion of our universe, the one mapped by our telescopes is an infinitesimally small speck in a much larger universe of at least 10 to the power 35 light-years across!

Admittedly this number is really, really big, and almost impossible to imagine. So lets shrink everything down, WAY down, just so we can get a better grasp of it. Let's imagine that the entire universe that we have seen in all the worlds telescopes, all the galaxies, all trillion of them, extending out 13 billion light years in every direction is shrunk down to the size of a golf ball.

If we do a volume calculation, the actual universe contains 10 to the power 60 of those golf balls! Wow, I guess we didn't shrink things down far enough, but this will have to do. So how big a volume would 10 to the power 60 golf balls fill up? Try a sphere 850 light years across! So imagine a mass of golf balls that big, and each one of those golf balls contains all the stars and galaxies that we can see through our telescopes!!

Now let’s try it with speed. Ready?

Imagine traveling so fast that you can go from on end of the galaxy to the other in just one second. At this speed the entire galaxy would be in reach before you can say the word "go", and wham, you're there. At this speed, you could travel to the nearest galaxy Andromeda in 22 seconds flat. And you could cross from end of the visible universe to the other in 72 hours.

So, lets speed up our warp vehicles again, so that we can travel a quintillion light years every second. At such a speed we could cross the known universe 100 million times in just one second. (quintillion light years every second)

How long would it take to cross from one side of the universe to the other(golf ball = know universe but we want to travel across golf ball @ 10 to the power 60)?

3.7 billion years!!! (To travel across Golf ball x 10 to the power 60) ”

So I went and did the math on the actual size…Mad numbers come out here…my conclusion…Unless we can travel by thought….it would be impossible to explore the whole universe…no matter how good your technology is. It’s just IMPOSSIBLE!
To be continued…..

[edit on 14-8-2009 by GerhardSA]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
OK…here we go.

1.Speed of light:
Approximately 300 000 km per second

2.Light distance per minute:
18,000,000 km per minute

3.Light distance per hour:
1,080,000,000 km per hour

4.Light distance per day:
25,920,000,000 km per day

5.Light distance per year:
9,460,800,000,000 km per year ( 9.5 trillion km)

OK so the visible universe is estimated at about 12.5 billion light years(NOTE: Visible Universe, not entire estimated universe!)
So the distance across the visible universe(approximately): light speed per year x 12.5billion:

6.Visible Universe estimated diameter:
227,059,200,000,000,000,000,000 km across.

That is; 227 sextillion (21 zeros)!

Now according to the golf ball example, the estimated universe = Visible universe X 10 to the power of 60
THAT IS ABSELUTELY MASSIVE!!! Let look at the numbers!

7.Estimated Universe diameter in KM:
227,059,200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (81 Zeros) OR
227 Sesvigintillion kms across!

Ok…so now lets speed up the travel speed to 1 quintillion km per second. (18 zeros) which is 3.3 trillion times faster than the speed of light!

8.Super light Speed per second:
1,000,000,000,000,000,000 km per second!

9.Distance per minute:
60,000,000,000,000,000,000 km per second!

10.Distance per hour
3,600,000,000,000,000,000,000 km per hour!

11.Distance per day
86,400,000,000,000,000,000,000 km per day!

12.Super Distance per year
31,536,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 km per year, which is 31sextillion (21 zeros)

At this speed it would take us approximately 7 years to cross the viable universe, and not even the estimated actual universe, which is visible X 10 to the power of 60

13.To travel across that distance @ 1 quintillion km per second it would take the following:

Estimated Universe diameter in KM / Super light speed per year.
Which equates to:

7,200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 YEARS! (57 zeros) OR

7.2 Octodecillion years!!!!

It is impossibly big…Thus infinite!
I can’t grasp how, if we travel 3.3 trillion times faster than light it would still take us 7 years to cross the visible universe and 7.2 X 10 tot the power 57 to cross EVERYTHING!
I just can’t be done…no matter the technology, unless teleportation is possible or you can travel by thought!
These are just rough estimates, so don’t kill me if they are off by a Billion or so km’s here and there

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by GerhardSA

Hmmm, thats pretty interesting. I'm bored too, so thanks for helping me kill a few minutes

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Isnt it so that the speed of light is decreasing as time goes by ?
It isn't as fast today as it were at the start of the univers...

[edit on 14/8/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Think freely.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Well, the good thing is we won't be limited by speed of any kind. According to the characteristics of light that has been separated by the split method, whatever happens to one particle on one side, instantly happens to the other particle on the other side, regardless of distance. Therefore, once we set up a base at any location at any distance, we will always be able to arrive at that distance, no matter how far away, instantaneously.

Big, but quick to arrive. I like it. Tourism will get a huge nudge.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
Isnt it so that the speed of light is decreasing as time goes by ?
It isn't as fast today as it were at the start of the univers...

[edit on 14/8/2009 by ChemBreather]

I doubt if it is slowing down, that it would make a noticeable difference at all.

It'd be like adding a 0.00000000000000000001
and changing it to 0.00000000000000000001

And that in itself is stretching it way extremely far it'd be an atrocity.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
yeah, but i did this according to a constant speed and basic math to see how far across it might be...not decrease in speed and time used... stilll...its pretty big if you look at it in this perspective

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by GerhardSA
yeah, but i did this according to a constant speed and basic math to see how far across it might be...not decrease in speed and time used... stilll...its pretty big if you look at it in this perspective

The mind can't visualize this, we weren't meant to.

It's equal to trying to understand what an ant sees, we truly can't understand it. We can try to but, ultimately we can't understand what an ant sees, nonetheless an amoebia

Pretty big, is unjust, It's unimaginably big, god's would bow in the sheer vastness which is our galaxy, and would cry in awe of the vastness of galaxies close together, and would explode understanding the depths of the universe.

Yet we can speculate, and try, thinking of multiverses, tends to be taboo, trying to speculate of the size of something, that in itself at the basis is hard to do.

Very few people on earth can still actually truly imagine the size of the earth! Nonetheless the so on and so forth!

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

How much,I can only imagine, but it maybe like you say , 30 zeros number.

Im just adding one website, seems it may not be sorted out yet .

Link
Since the SRI publication in 1987, forefront researchers from Russia, Australia, Great Britain and the United States have published papers in prestigious journals questioning the constancy of the speed of light.

Within the last 24 months, Dr. Joao Magueijo, a physicist at Imperial College in London, Dr. John Barrow of Cambridge, Dr. Andy Albrecht of the University of California at Davis and Dr. John Moffat of the University of Toronto have all published work advocating their belief that light speed was much higher – as much as 10 to the 10th power faster – in the early stages of the "Big Bang" than it is today. (It's important to note that none of these researchers have expressed any bias toward a predetermined answer, biblical or otherwise. If anything, they are antagonistic toward a biblical worldview.)

Dr. Magueijo believes that light speed was faster only in the instants following the beginning of time. Dr. Barrow, Barry Setterfield and others believe that light speed has been declining from the beginning of time to the historic near past.

Dr. Magueijo recently stated that the debate should not be why and how could the speed of light could vary, but what combination of irrefutable theories demands that it be constant at all.

Setterfield now believes there are at least four other major observed anomalies consistent with a slowing speed of light:

quantized red-shift observations from other galaxies,
measured changes in atomic masses over time,
measured changes in Planck's Constant over time,

and differences between time as measured by the atomic clock, and time as measured by the orbits of the planets in our solar system.

Perhaps the most interesting of these is the quantized red-shift data.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Ohyea, no doubt that the univers is huge, or we are incredibly small.

I wonder if the univers is spherical,squarish or tube like...

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   

i think that is is save to say with Scientific accuracy that NO One KNOWs ThAT answer

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   

I'll jump in on that.

I would consider the universe to be an absurd shape.

A shape unthinkable. Similar to a bubble at the beginning, not quite circular, but wobbly, and has all sorts of curves. Like that.

Yet, imagining, mass opposed to nothing, is quite a feat! lol.

Something and looking onto nothing, is like imagining being dead. In a non theistic view.

The Universe, is well unimaginable, it's beauty life, and subjective attitude, need a bit of a contemplating... or a lot of it.

We most likely will be extinct before discovery is made, or a close discovery is made.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

You mean Eggshape ?

I think of the univers as an tube in away, like electric siglans going thru an fiber-optic cable.
It starts in one end and rushes thru to the other side and ends..

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I can only imagine the universe as infinite, hence shapeless. In my mind, attributing a shape to the universe is like attributing a weight to consciousness.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
To these numbers, I must add that we can only estimate the size of the VISIBLE universe.

The size of the universe we can estimate is in fact the size of the "bubble" around us which is theoretically observable. Because of the speed of the light and the age of the universe, we can only see until a certain point in space/time (time 0). But no doubt there is something "behind" this limit.

Otherwise it means that the Earth is at the exact center of the universe, which is very unlikely. So if we were based on another galaxy, we should be actually able to "see" another portion of the universe (another "bubble", centered around that other galaxy).

So if the figures are already huge, I let you imagine what could be the size of the "complete" universe !

As for its shape, it is just like its real size, we have no idea...

We can only tell about that small bubble of universe around us, but I personnally believe that beyond that bubble, the universe is infinite, and shaped like nothing because infinite.

[edit on 14-8-2009 by SpaceGoatsFarts]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I'm curious to know where we find that the Universe is 1 x 10 ^35 light years across.

All we can legitimately discuss is the observable Universe, which is the farthest we can see, even in theory. This observable Universe depends on the speed of light and the time the light has spent reaching us. Anything that is beyond a certain distance (called the cosmological horizon, would be beyond our ability to observe, even in principle. If we cannot observe it by any means, we can't say anything about it - not even that it exists.

If my calculations are correct, and if the Universe really is 10^35 lightyears across, then if our observable Universe were reduced to the size of an atom (approx. .1 nanometers), the whole Universe would be bigger than our observable Universe. That's a whole lot of Universe...

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I like your idea

But when i think about it it seams wrong

To figure out how big Everything is. You have to know the distance between Everything and the absolute vacuum 0.

Why?
Everything is relative to Zero =0

Then i wonder?
How big is: Height, Length and Width if they = 0

Well that depends on what is in between.

Everything would have to exist in between Height, Length and Width.

Only then would Height, Length and Width expand from 0 in size and into what it is today.

But where wold you start to measure Height, Length and Width?

Well i would start in the middle. And the middle would be 0. Then the next problem becomes. How do things expand from zero and out? And how fast does it expand?

Well we can only use the fastest source we know "Light" But light would have already taken up space (Height, Length, and Width) before it started to move?

So how Big was light before it started to move? Well it cant have been 0 in size? It must have been just above it some where?

Light travels 299 999 km in 0.0025 seconds in a vacuum but its not a absolute vacuum. So we must assume that light can travel a lot faster. Or that something else can travel a lot faster.

So we have to take a look at 0.0025 and compare it to 0. Light from center 0 to 0.0025 = -299 999 km ?

0 - 299 999 km = -299 999 km?
Well what this means is that light has traveled = in all directions. Height, Length and Width in 0.0025 seconds.

So if we fallow High. The height would be 299 999 X 2 after 0.0025 seconds. Height would = 599998 km in Height in 0.0025 seconds.

But what happens after 2 X 0.0025 seconds ?

The distance after 0.005 seconds would be 4 times greater.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
If you notice we are talking about how far light has traveled in "time".

That means Height, Length and Width must have existed before light?

Total space must have been there before light.
You are talking about how far light has traveled in space in a specific time frame.

And that space would be from where light started 0 to where it is today.

And it would be that distance from 0 (times) its speed in total vacuum times 2,4,8,16,....... and so on until 14.09.09 + the seconds. But that is assuming that light was the first source of expansion.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

Maybe the Universe is shaped like a marble.....and hanging on a cat's collar! Size is, afterall, subjective

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join