It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Out of Funds to Track Asteroids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

news.aol.com

NASA is charged with spotting most of the asteroids that pose a threat to Earth but doesn't have the money to complete the job, a federal report says.
That's because even though Congress assigned the space agency that mission four years ago, it never gave NASA the money to build the necessary telescopes, according to the report released Wednesday by the National Academy of Sciences.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Niburi folks should love this.

Just to politicize it, if they can't get the right money down to track and take care of large inanimate objects, how can they be trusted to solve the health care problems?

No in all seriousness, crap. We're in big trouble now.

So folks, what conspiracies does this bring to mind and what does it mean for us all here on Earth and what can we do about solving the problem?

news.aol.com

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Topic already being discussed here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scooby Doo
Topic already being discussed here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There is one thread allowed in this forum (Breaking News) and one in another, regular non-"news" forum.

Reply to Gorman91

This is not good news at all, we better get the funds and technology together before we get smacked out of no where with a ELE causing asteroid or comet. IMO that should be the FIRST goal of ANY space organization or government for that matter. We know it has happened before and know it will happen again. It is kind of ignorant IMHO to consider other things more 'prudent' then the early detection (and thus higher probability of defeating the threat) of a known species killer.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Perhaps China will be willing to loan us the money to keep the earth safe if we give them some of our space exploration technology that they haven't figured out on their own, yet.
Or better yet, we can give them the technology and let them build things and then sell them to us.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
We, as far as public knowledge goes, don't have the technology to stop one of these asteroids anyway... so I'm not sure this means we're in "big" trouble.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Sure we do, it would take some time to get it together but we certainly have a few very good ideas on how to stop them.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

news.aol.com

NASA is charged with spotting most of the asteroids that pose a threat to Earth but doesn't have the money to complete the job, a federal report says.
That's because even though Congress assigned the space agency that mission four years ago, it never gave NASA the money to build the necessary telescopes, according to the report released Wednesday by the National Academy of Sciences.

Sleep well.
MJ-12 does a better job than NASA spotting and trackings asteroids.
The many alien races are also spotting and tracking asteroids.
NASA is a joke.
Altering the path of an asteroid is actually very easy.
Don't worry about NASA.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

okay then... I have been out of the loop in this dept for a while so I could be wrong.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

This link may help you out

Ten Ways To Stop An Asteroid

Of course the majority of the options depend on detecting the asteroid rather early out. The later we find it the more limited our options are currently. Hence the need to expand the NEO observing.

[edit on 8/13/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Smoke and mirrors.

First it was NASA 'announcing' life on Mars when Obama mentioned cutting their budget out.

Now it is this.

BS... They are simply asking for more money to place more tech in the skies. "If you don't give it to us, we will stop tracking them."
They wouldn't dare. Early detection is their number one priority. If it isn't, they are bigger fools than I assume.

It is beside the point anyhow, in my opinion. You see, I believe they are already hiding QUITE A LOT in regards to their space-faring capability, including their surveilence of the skies.

Star Wars. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't already have what amounts to a missile defense shield around the planet. In fact, I would be more surprised if they didn't.

I would.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I like the 10 ways you have listed.
There is an 11th way.
Here it is.
Fly up close to the asteroid in an MJ-12 Starship.
Simply extend the warp field around the asteroid.
Turn on the gravity wave tractor beam and point it at the asteriod.
Tow the asteroid to the asteroid belt that is out past Mars and just
leave it there.
Problem solved.
A single Triangle Starship could do it.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

NASA estimates that there are about 20,000 asteroids and comets in our solar system that are potential threats. They are larger than 460 feet in diameter — slightly smaller than the Superdome in New Orleans. So far, scientists know where about 6,000 of these objects are.

along with:

And the United States is practically the only government doing anything at all, the report found.

So, we don't know where about 14,000 potential threat asteroids and comets the size of the Superdome are because of the lack of $800 million (with a M and not a B or T) over 12 years, and yet we spend trillions on bailouts of banks (that we don't know where it was used) over 3 years. That is LUDICROUS.

new topics

top topics

join