It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spacecraft uncovers evidence of ocean on Saturn moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I found this on Yahoo while logging out from checking my mail. It's a short video about particles from one of Saturn's moons, Enceladus, containing water vapor crystals along with unusual concentrations of salt. Also they mention organic compounds being observed! Interesting watch, I hope I linked it right.

www.yahoo.com...

I checked if someone already posted this but I didn't see anything, I hope it's not a double post.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by Estharik]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
if they would find life even organic that means probably the universe is teaming with life

[edit on 14-8-2009 by sunspot0]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Good find. Another possible after Europa.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Star and Flag for you...

This is great, it really does seem that the more we look for life the more we are finding evidence that suggests that the universe is full of life.

Resentedhalo08.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Estharik
...I checked if someone already posted this but I didn't see anything, I hope it's not a double post.

There have been a few thread in the past year or so talking about Enceladus and its ocean. Here's are a couple , including one I started in 2008:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

...however, no worries! I'm glad others are starting to post threads about Enceladus.

Enceladus seems to be ignored a bit by the average person because of the popular attention Europa receives -- although it is definitely NOT ignored among planetary scientists and astrobiologists

In my humble opinion, Enceledus is a better candidate for life right now because of the organic compounds that have been found associated with the water coming from its geyser.

Organic compounds are the building blocks for what may have possibly become life in the ocean of Enceladus. While organic compounds may exist on Europa, none have yet been found (although I suspect Europa, too, will be found to possess organic compounds)

[edit on 8/14/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I just read the other two threads you linked and I didn't realize these findings go so far back. This was the first I had heard about it. Thanks for pointing that out

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Estharik
I just read the other two threads you linked and I didn't realize these findings go so far back. This was the first I had heard about it. Thanks for pointing that out

No problem! I wasn't criticizing, but just wanted to open a few eyes to what Cassini has found so far concerning Enceladus.

Like I said, I'm glad people are starting to realize that Enceladus is at least as exciting as Europa, but it seems so few have heard about the discoveries Cassini is making about Enceladus, its geysers, and its ocean.

new topics

top topics

join