It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man walks downtown with gun in broad daylight to make political statement

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Man walks downtown with gun in broad daylight to make political statement

"We can't just theoretically have the right to defend ourselves. It has to be an actual right, people have to do it."

Link to Video

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
In Wisconsin, concealed guns are illegal. Open carry is "legal", but people can call you in for disorderly conduct.

I hope he fights the small fine on principle. The case has some weight, given the attorney general's sympathy, no?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
That is a prime example of a double standard in the justice system if I have ever seen one.

It is just a loophole in the system that allows them to take your money no matter what you do. No, do not blame the Officers that take you in for taking your money. It is the law makers that do it and they know what they are doing.

I am glad he is bringing this issue to light, and I thank the OP for bringing it to ATS.

SnF.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Scopeless

A group of ppl started doing this in California recently and ppl are
freaking out because most of the ppl out there do not realize open
carry is legal in that state.

They get harassed alot by cops, but no arrests as far as I know.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I saw the video, loved that he stood up for his rights and believe he should have NOT gotten ticketed since he was within his constitutional right to do so. It's funny how people are fearful of those who wear a gun on there hip, whom are registered and also have a conceled licenses. Instead of talking to the person they would rather assume he's doing something wrong lol.

The nutjobs out there shooting people are 99% criminals without the proper licenses and hide it until they are going to shot somebody any ways.

It's all about fear!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I have to say that this guy didn't break any law, if open carry is legal in his jurisdiction. This "disorderly conduct" is a catch-all "crime" meant to justify situations when a cop wants to arrest someone who hasn't broken a law.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Bushido Kanji

Don't get offended as I saw how you jumped the gun on another thread lol but I agree it's the law makers that create the problem but the officer could have not given him a ticket but instead plays into the law makers game. That is why most but not all cops are considered terrorist lol.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
What total crap!

"What would you do if you saw someone walking down the street with a gun in full view?" the reporter says.

I'd have about the same reaction as if i saw someone carrying a burrito in full view. Handguns? I regularly walk through town carrying rifles and shotguns openly slung over my shoulder. Around here that's just how it is, lots of people carry open with no hassle. I've seen people strolling around with their AR15's and i've walked from one side of town to the other several times carrying a couple of shotguns, a few .44 peacemakers on my hips and wedged under my belt buckle. You gotta leave your guns if you go into the post office and some bars have a rule that you need to check your guns with the barkeep if you go in armed.

And that woman, "what if i bumped into him, what would his reaction be?"

I bet he'd probably say "excuse me" or something, but i doubt you'd be shot in the face.

I don't go out into that world you all live in, i stay away from people like that ignorant scared sheep of a woman being interviewed, and your cities and such, but i have to ask:

Is that really the kind of people that are out there? Scared to bump into an armed individual for fear of a violent reaction? If so then it's worst than i thought, have fun on you all's sinking ship on the way down.

I find it weird that it'd be a political statement at all, if he did that around here he'd just blend in with everyone else carrying.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Rams59lb

I guess I am developing a reputation.

Don't worry, in this situation I wouldn't 'jump the gun.' It is just when people get too into hating on something that I take personal where I take it..well..personal.

I will save the terrorist thing for the respective topic in respect for the rules of ATS and the OP

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DezertSkies

And that woman, "what if i bumped into him, what would his reaction be?"

I bet he'd probably say "excuse me" or something, but i doubt you'd be shot in the face.

Just wanted to let you know that this part made me laugh.

Good post, though. I believe that people should be able to carry their weapons in public, but only if they are registered to do so. I hope that in time people will grow more accepting to the idea instead of fearing it.

It would make Good Samaritans a hell of a lot more help to the righteous law enforcers if they could carry a firearm as well. However, everything has its drawbacks, and this one is obvious.

Now, there may be people questioning the idea, saying that it is not good for their children to see a weapon out int he open. Well, that is a valid point, but your kid has to grow up at some point; and they have the right to know the law as well as their right to bare arms in public, or just to bare arms.

I am all for an open-gun law as long as the wrong people don't get the guns, then it could spell trouble; but then there would be vigilantes that would step in and stop them probably before the Police could.

That is a dangerous situation because it would prove difficult to defuse it properly. Someone is likely to get shot, more likely for that matter.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Had some guys do this near Manassas, Virginia while I lived up there. There's an open carry law up there. The cops arrested them, then they sued the city and won. Nice paycheck too if I remember correctly...

[edit on 11-8-2009 by XTexan]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by XTexan
Had some guys do this near Manassas, Virginia while I lived up there. There's an open carry law up there. The cops arrested them, then they sued the city and won. Nice paycheck too if I remember correctly...

[edit on 11-8-2009 by XTexan]

See?

Everyone wins!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I live in Madison and I'm all for reasonable gun rights, but toting a handgun on state street in Madison, WI is probably not the best idea. On one end you have the state capitol building and on the other end you have the UW-Madison campus. On a typical weekend day or night, what you will usually see is an array of college kids, street performers, hippies, and partiers.

What you don't see is people wearing camo pants toting a gun around. It's no wonder someone called the police.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to, but in that particular part of the city I would like for it to remain a faux pas for people to be packing pistols.

And here's a story that I'll tell because I think it might be at least slightly relevant to the topic.

I recently moved into a friend's apartment that is 'on the other side of the tracks' so to speak, but I wasn't real worried about the neighborhood. About a week after I moved in I was sitting up late on my computer when I heard automatic gunfire literally right outside my window. I kid you not.

I called the police a few minutes after it happened and they said they already had gotten calls about it and that they were on their way. About ten minutes later I went outside to see if the police had showed up yet and half the department was there at my apartment complex.

When I came outside they told me to watch my step and I looked down to find three bullet casings just hanging out there on the step 20 feet from where I lay my head at night. Not cool.

Apparently they know who did it and the guy lives in my building. Nobody was hurt, but other than that I don't really know what the rest of the story is. Needless to say, I hope they catch this A-hole and get that gun off the street and out of my apartment complex....

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
thats BS;
the constitution says we have the right to bear arms!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
In New Hampshire you need a permit to carry concealed. No permit to carry openly.

Generally there is never any problems. If you're South in the state near the Mass demilitarized zone or happen to be spotted by some "for your own good" fascist types on vacation you might get a few minutes of your life stolen by some overzealous cop who doesnt know any better.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
If more people would take advantage of the legal open carry laws in their home states we wouldn't have problems like this. I don't open carry in Ohio for the very reason that this man was stopped by the police. Most city cops are unaware of the legal aspects of open carry.

Open carry sends a clear message to would be thugs and also sends a message of responsible carry to your fellow citizens.

It is such a slippery slope.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I live in southern Ohio, and I have carried open, in a hip holster. I have a very large .44 Remington revolver that is difficult to hide, and I don't have a CCW permit, and don't want one. I have been stopped by police twice, handcuffed, had my gun taken and unloaded, and questioned. Then they take the cuffs off, and give back the gun, and apologise for their actions, which automatically gets them a Constitutional lecture from me. I am always told the reason they stop me is for "creating a panic." Well, I looked it up, and creating a panic is when you scare people into fleeing a business or home in fear. The police really don't know what to do, the weapon is a cap and ball gun, and uses black powder. Black powder weapons do not fall under Ohio Law. We have a lot of drug addicts here, and criminals who break into homes. I think it pays to let people know you are armed and ready.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bushido Kanji
That is a prime example of a double standard in the justice system if I have ever seen one.

It is just a loophole in the system that allows them to take your money no matter what you do. No, do not blame the Officers that take you in for taking your money. It is the law makers that do it and they know what they are doing.

I am glad he is bringing this issue to light, and I thank the OP for bringing it to ATS.

SnF.

That's a good point. The officer is just hearing a call about a man with a gun in downtown. They HAVE to check something like that. It's not their fault. The person who called it in probably exaggerated.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Open carry is legal in New Mexico and while it is not common, one does see citizens with holstered firearms in public.

If I see an armed person in my vicinity, I make some mental notes of their appearance and affect, etc., but other than that, there's nothing to really notable about it.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
YES. I think we should ALL start doing this exact thing. If you have a gun, put it in your holster and take a walk around town. In fact get together with some friends, strap on your sidearms and walk the walk. Make a statement and take a stand. It would be nice to see this precident set and to acclimate the police and governmental type fumbles that sometimes citizens carry guns and it just seems a nice subtle statement that not all americans are made of jelly. Just my opinion... ciao 4 now.. RDDS

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join