It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Atlantis a peninsula of Africa?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Seems like it to me - and the Canary Islands and the Azores are its remnants.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Interesting. But, mind if you could provide some kind of link/movie to help support your theory. Maybe you could tell us where you got some of the ideas/match points. I've heard some of them, but I didn't know it was connected to mainland for example.

Atlantis has always intrigued me, but sometimes there's just not enough out there to feed that interest. I like your African Peninsula theory.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
it could have been anywhere if it existed atall.

even lucasarts postulised the azores in the awesome scumm game
"indiana jones and the fate of atlantis"

just listing a whole heap of things this small archipelego has in common doesnt really clinch it.

archeological digs, and atlantean book or ray gun would!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Actually, Atlantis sounds a hell of a lot like California!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Here's a map I made. It's based on the description of Atlantis and also on the sea level changes after the end of the last Ice Age:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Of you are looking for Atlantis try Crete

Just saying....

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
Seems like it to me - and the Canary Islands and the Azores are its remnants.

Atlantis is not under the water. Its under the snow. Some stayed and some migrated. Here is what the ones that stayed look like. www.youtube.com... Pink skinned monkeys.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Azen thorhammer

It went under the snow when the earth tilted.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azen thorhammer
reply to post by Azen thorhammer

It went under the snow when the earth tilted.

Why do you think this, exactly?

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
someone postulated, maybe on here that even antarctica even has features that could be called atlantean "straddled the one great sea"

just sayin...

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
There is a thread about this.....kind of.

Gazrok? I think that the mods name. He had a write up about a website that explains Atlantis to be in South America.

Its really good and I recommend it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 28-8-2009 by havok]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
at first i giot a bit angry to such a post since my first thought is first we have to see if it existed at all..if yes where it is..not were it was...but then thinking about it your post makes sense since what we got reachable to us is where it may have been...so it might help to find it a research will will check where the tales of atlantis origins from..artifacts realting to it were have been found.

gl with your research

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Map of ancient voyages to New World before the Old World was old.

The ships of Tarshish, Spain, brought them over and delivered gold
to the ancients and mentioned in the Bible three times.

Possible gold mining in the Americas to supply the ancient world.

Got nothing on Atlantis, sorry.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
No atlantis wasnt a pennisula of africa.

Once again, the civilization that was the basis for atlantis was the minoan civilization on thera.

Just read about the therans,and how amazingly advanced they were for thier time and it is readily apperant that they are who plato was writing about.

The therans had a thiving trade relationship with the egyptians before they dissapeared. It was over a thousand years after the destruction of thera that plato wrote about atlantis in his allegorical tale.
In the ancient world that thousand years might as well have been the 9000 that plato talks about.

platos tale of atlantis, in the criteas dialogue, has many of the clues to lead to thera.
The ringed harbor he talks about existed on thera. The main harbor was in the cauldera of a previous eruption, and consisted of a central island surrounded by a concentric ring of islands. This has been attested to by a mosaic found at excavations of akrotiri, the surviving city of thera.
The minoans worshiped the bull in festivals, just as the mythical atlanteans were said to have done.
They had hot and cold running water into their houses as was mentioned in platos story.

They fought with greek pirates, which fits in with platos assertion that they went to war with "athens", an athens that did not exist 9000 years prior as the dialogue tells the story.

The minoans were so well known as craftsmen, that pharoes of egypt commisioned them to make fine objects for them.
There is even an archeologist that thinks he has found a plaque that indicates that the minoans made the second, formal, ark of the covenant.

i suggest evryone read as much as you can find about the minoan city of thera, and you will likely come over to my point of view.

[edit on 28-8-2009 by punkinworks09]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Atlantis never existed. Read the whole story and it will seem fake to you. It was supposedly made up by the god Poseidon or somebody.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I agree with the above poster. Atlantis is a myth. Nobody with a brain believes in it.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Atlantis is America...in extremely ancient times America was a major player in world events; by extremely ancient times...I mean present times. Then the whole Eden event occured 3 years ago and we all got sucked through a wormhole and into the past, by past I mean past.

It all makes sense when you realize that the story of Atlantis, as told 2500 years ago, is a story about one of our own potential futures.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by antontherapper
I agree with the above poster. Atlantis is a myth. Nobody with a brain believes in it.

The problem with legends is there is usually some basis in facts. The story gets retold and becomes grander each time but usually something of the truth is still there. As far as them being advanced id say they probably were for that time period by todays standards no. As i saw earlier i think there is little doubt Plato was writing about the Minoans.

[edit on 8/31/09 by dragonridr]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I'm still not satisfied with the Santorini theory. Maybe it was mixed up with the original Atlantis?

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by antontherapper

narrow mind much?

top topics

join