It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why You Know Nothing...About Anything (Myself Included)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Yes I agree, most people are imbeciles, through and through, and the same goes for myself as well.

Everyday I stop and think of the thousands of things I do that are just completely stupid, and the things that I say, that can't possibly be true, yet my being tells me they are.

Strange strange world we live in.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
This is what truth should be.....

The truth should be the accumulation of knowledge of a certain time. What I mean by that is what we as humans have learned by either trial and error or by first hand experience. The truth is not statements that you have heard or have seen either on the television or you have read in the papers. Most stories that are in the news these days do not have their facts straight. As for the scientific aspect, I honestly do not think that we can trust scientific explanations for answers. That being said, not even science can prove what is the right and what is the wrong.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Not with any intention to derail this admirable thread, but only to 'broaden the discussion' somewhat, I offer here a Tibetan 'model of mind' which seems to me far more understandible and even sensible than all the epistemological gobbledy-gook cooked up by all our 'finest' reductionist western philosophers ...

Understanding the Mind

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/399de453b435.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/31e4c52a60a9.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a103872f9d95.jpg[/atsimg]
pp 37,38,42
Source : Google Books

Anyone familiar with any of the geshe's books knows they are religious in the extreme, and that of a Buddhist persuasion. I'd just like to point out that it's seldom advisable to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and some of these 'ancient' models of mind ( and, of course knowledge ) are quite interesting, and as I say, even sensible ...

As an interesting aside, the notion of a cognizers which is examined in great detail in the cited work, a presentation of a Tibetan text around a thousand years old, seems to be quite a 'hot' topic currently among computer scientists ...

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
When confronted with an idea he doesn't agree with, my brother reverts to saying things like "Well so what, it's not affecting me so why should I care?" or "Well we'll never know for sure, so talking about it is pointless."

Anyways, he said to me, after a long philisophical discussion last night, "How do you know all that's true anyway? What makes you so special?" I told him "I only know enough to know that I know nothing at all."

But you're totally right, we know nothing, even what science tells us. The pursuit of truth usually reveals more questions than answers, and for each answer we get closer to, a hundred more questions pop up along the way.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
How sure are you that you know nothing? How sure are you that everybody else knows nothing? How can you be sure?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by theyreadmymind

You're correct, I don't know for sure.

Actually I do, yet I don't.

It's an interesting notion and a confusing paradox at best. As stated in the OP, there is no such thing as absolute truth, since reality is subjective to the human experience.

You may know within yourself that you know something, yet the people around you could hold that truth to be false. Personnal truth's exist. But only ones about yourself, made by yourself.

~Keeper

<< 1   >>

join