It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theft of Confidential Information (how much are YOU worth?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

The cost of stolen personal data is directly dependent on the country of its legal owner’s residence. For example, a complete set of data on a US resident costs $5 to 8. EU resident data is particularly valued on the black market and is two or three times more expensive than data for US and Canadian residents. This is because cybercriminals can use this data in any EU country. Worldwide, the average cost of a full package of data on one person is about $7.

That sucks, huh? You're worth about 7 or 8 US dollars. Your computer is worth a lot less. (about a nickel to a dime)

viruslist.com

Cybercriminals can either sell the information stolen or use it in their own interests. Hundreds of new bank-accounts-for-sale advertisements appear on underground forums every day. The price of an account can range from $1 to $1500. The low minimum price demonstrates that the cybercriminals involved in this business have to reduce their prices due to competition. To make a really significant amount of money, they need a steady inflow of fresh data, which is provided primarily by a stable growth of zombie networks.

In a recent class I attended, it was disclosed that a 'fair' black market price for a botnet was less than $.10 per machine and that our personal information was so widely available, that prices were dropping very low, to account for competition in the marketplace.

It's really quite a bummer, because I thought I would have been worth more than that.

Here are some good rates for the use of a botnet mentioned here:
boingboing.net

Tired of a competitor's site? Hinder the enemy? Fed pioneers or copywriters?
Kill their sites! How? We will help you in this!
Obstructions of any site, portal, shop!

Different types of attacks: Date-attack, Trash, Attack, Attack, etc. Intellectual You can work on schedule, as well as the simultaneous attack of several sites.

On average the data, ordered the site falls within 5 minutes after the start. As a demonstration of our capabilities, allows screening.

Our prices
24 hours of attack - $ 70
12 hours of the attack - $ 50
1 hour attack - $ 25

Di you have anything else to spend you allowance on kiddies?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

I thought i was worth more than that too
but still that was amazing never about that especilly that site destroyer
theres probeply plenty others but ive never heard of site destroyers
Great post star and flag

[edit on 7-8-2009 by Zeplin100]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Obviously it depends who you are selling the information to. There are many legitimate businesses in UK that will buy stolen details for a good price. If the correct information is there you could expect to get up to £15 per individual.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by and14263

Obviously it depends who you are selling the information to. There are many legitimate businesses in UK that will buy stolen details for a good price. If the correct information is there you could expect to get up to £15 per individual.

Wow, that makes it better! I can have my personal information sold to a 'legitimate' business instead of an 'illegitimate' business and the creeps that are selling it can make more money? Woohoo and hooray for them!

As far as I'm concerned, once a 'legitimate' business buys my personal information, my 'identity', which is what we are talking about here, they are no longer a legitimate business and are now crooks. Pretty cut and dry for me. If you possess my personal information, you're a crook. If you sell my personal information, you're a crook. Not much grey area in that for me.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Yeahcompletely right, once a business breaks the law I guess its legitimacy is in question... I was only using the word 'legitimate' to kind of mean real businesses not the black market.

There's no grey area. It's wrong to steal the info, sell the info and buy the info but these are the ills of a capitolist society. I don't condone this, I merely share my information to help others understand the topic to a greater extent.

In fact how bizarre that this thread appears a short while after I posted this one...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 7-8-2009 by and14263]

new topics

top topics

join