It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter website down after attack

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
well im still yet to see a convincing point to use this.... lol

I'm sure people can survive if there site goes down for a day or so and are unable to check it....

go for a walk.... maybe even go and see someone in the flesh and tell them about your day lol

more excuses for americans to stay @ home....

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

The culprits of the attack have not been established yet. But sources have suggested looking to Iran and the fact that many of the thousands of tweets publicising the recent 'revolution' in Iran could be traced back to a just a few new subscribers in Israel.

LINK

I found this comment quite interesting, mainly because The Inquirer is primarily IT based news. I found it out of place for some reason.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Mmm, I thought of the 4chan/anon boys too ...

But why other than for the "lulz?"

Is there a reason for anti-twitt activism that I'm not aware of?

If it's 4chan they aren't talking about it right now. Lately the new***s seem to talk about things they shouldn't so I doubt it was 4chan. Who knows about anon though.

As to why would they do twitter? To understand the answer you have to understand /b/ psychology. Put simiply, they like to piss people off, even if they personally don't get to see the response. In online games they would be called "griefers", /b/ griefs the internet. As such twitter is the perfect target because imagine how many really upset people were out there to today just because they couldn't use their precious twitter(people who use this services are twits) or facebook.

Vas

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Nice thread, fast too. Good job.
I am one who, while seeing the absurdity of Twitter, does find it usefull in one particular way. If you can think of a conversationally edited phrase, you can find out if people are discusssing it, anywhere! "In the sky" "earthquake" "ufo" etc...
Sometimes the mundane is poetry. Sometimes it the other way around.
There are three steps to this process as I see it.
1. Describing your minute by minute life becomes constantly recorded by your "device" then you are constantly streaming, presuming you wish to be.
2. Device becomes ingrained.
3. Now you are streaming whether you desire or resist.
4. Now you don't resist.

Two seconds ago I just tweeted "Roll out the barrels", if I had one, I would.
Go ATS! Solve the case of the "Who #Swatted Twitter" not because you have to, but because you can!

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
A relevant update:

Is a Psychopath Attacking Twitter, Facebook?

Seems that so far no one has figured out the who and why.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

A pro-Georgian blogger with accounts on Twitter, Facebook, LiveJournal and Google's Blogger and YouTube was targeted in a denial of service attack that led to the site-wide outage at Twitter and problems at the other sites on Thursday, according to a Facebook executive.

The blogger, who uses the account name "Cyxymu," (the name of a town in the Republic of Georgia) had accounts on all of the different sites that were attacked at the same time, Max Kelly, chief security officer at Facebook, told CNET News.

"It was a simultaneous attack across a number of properties targeting him to keep his voice from being heard," Kelly said. "We're actively investigating the source of the attacks and we hope to be able to find out the individuals involved in the back end and to take action against them if we can."

news.cnet.com...

interesting. i wonder who led the attack? russia is obviously a candidate. does any body know about the blogger?

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
no conspiracy here..

the raid was mentioned on encylopedia dramatica earlier but seems to have been quietened down.

course goons and chans having fun is all

shhhh

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I had something weird going on with my internet at between 2 and 3 am. My windows live messenger kept shutting down, and my dsl was up, and then it kept happening when I got up this morning around 11 am. My internet connection was still on, but when I did a troubleshoot, it was saying my dns and my portal was not working. That was weird. Never happened before. Then it finally quit, and what was weird too, is right after I heard it on the news about twitter, it quit. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, but I knew something wasn't right, and I don't even go to twitter. I also heard facebook was down. TPTB are getting very angry, they are losing ya know!
Poor babies!! Awww!

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Hi/

Maybe THEY dont like what is being said and written in some facebook and Twitter accounts?
Why else would an ordinary person want to hack into facebook and Twitter.

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Specifically the second to last paragraph in your quote:

t’s not so bad that Twitter isn’t working or my Facebook login is broken, but what if hackers decided to attack the network at a hospital or an air traffic controller’s office?

Fear monger much (not you . . . I am talking about the writer of said article)?

This ties in quite nicely with the AT&T/4chan scare a few weeks ago.

Damn internet terrorists

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Hi/
I was wondering if those that do have accounts, do they work and can they still post ?

It's amazing that everything noiw seems to be TERRORIST related!
More like they dont like it when their LIES are being exposed!

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Hi/

Sorry to bother here again,
Is anyone else able to view or write in facebook or twitter?
Something about java script?

thanks

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Latest word is that hundreds if ot thousands (possibly more) of people are having issues with a Adware website that has somehow encoded itself onto people's machines.
The social.bidsystem file actually tries to download a advert outside from the Facebook browser and apparently talk is that this site tracks your moves as a sort of advert-cookie, so Facebook know whats adverts to show based on your web history.
I think the fact this file is installed onto millions of peoples computers without them knowing (aside from the social.bidsystem flashing up every 5 seconds on the bottom bar) is well beyond Facebooks terms and conditions. Especially considering when browsing away from the site it considerably slows people's computers.

However it seems this very Adware has gotten grip just after this attack, so wether someone is using it to their "advantage" is up for debate at the moment.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

Hi ROB/

I think the fact this file is installed onto millions of peoples computers without them knowing (aside from the social.bidsystem flashing up every 5 seconds on the bottom bar) is well beyond Facebooks terms and conditions. Especially considering when browsing away from the site it considerably slows people's computers.

This is similar to what is happening with me...its like an orange small flash and the mouse just opens and takes me all over the page.
I have AVAST virus installed,could be that in itself be a problem?
Face book wiped off allot of pages that I posted...
Sounds not quite right, to me!

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
It happened again:

After two Twitter outages this week, the service is encountering another issue Wednesday afternoon as many users are reporting they can get to the microblogging site, but their feeds are not being updated.

Although users could add updates to the site, their tweets were not apparent to others on the site, according to several users contacted by CNET News, as well as our experience here in the newsroom.

The problems seem to have begun around 4 p.m. PDT. There is nothing to indicate that the site has suffered anything similar to the denial-of-service attack that knocked the site offline for an extended period last week.

Twitter didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

news.cnet.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I don't know if its just from my end but I'm unable to pull up the twitter.com website. Getting the following error:

HTTP Server Error 503

No available server to handle this request

I don't know how these people can continue to tout being cutting edge of the web when they are unable to keep a site live for more than a few days or keep their information secure?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join