It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquakes strike off SA coast.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for the info Phage...

Always nice to learn something new!!!

But would you know if these intraplate earthquakes are generated by hotsspots underneath the plate and if so wouldn't the earthquake region slowly be moving in the opposite direction the plate is shifting???

Am i making any sence??

Peace

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

If you're talking about volcanic hotspots which originate in the mantle that would be the case. But I think most intraplate earthquakes are caused by faults. Since faults are in the crust rather than the mantle, they would move along with the plate so the earthquakes would be generated in the same region of the plate.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

that makes sence, thanks!!!

Peace

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by ChemBreather

It's called subduction:

Thank you !
Do you have any idea of how far down or how far one plate can slide upon another?
For instance , North American plate over the Pacific plate ?
Is it so that earth gets squized inwards as an result of the vacuum of space? like a water drop in space, it squizes into the smallest ball it possibly can?. I'm thinking in the lines of, when lava comes out from the earth, could that be the squizing proccess as the lave after time gets squized out on the weakest spots in the crust ??

If you dont understand what Im asking, No problem, I dont know too many english fancy words..

[edit on 7/8/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

If you're asking if the subduction process causes volcanoes, the answer is yes. It is one source of volcanic activity. But the activity occurs near the plate boundary.
sio.ucsd.edu...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join