It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leave Religion at the Door - Anchient Wisdom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Well since there have been alot of "Christianity vs Atheism" on this forum as of late, i thought i would post a totally different system of belief..... or if you will timeless ancient wisdom, much older than the bible.

The passages are ambiguous, and topics range from political advice for rulers to practical wisdom for people. Because the variety of interpretation is virtually limitless, not only for different people but for the same person over time, readers do well to avoid making claims of objectivity or superiority. Also, since the book is 81 short poems, there is little need for an abridgement.

Im of course speaking of the Tao Te Ching by Lao-Tzu ( Laozi ).

Within this collection of short poems lies the secrets of the Ineffability or Genesis, The Mysterious Female, Returning (Union with the Primordial), Emptiness, Knowledge and Humility, and much much more.

Traditional accounts state that Laozi grew weary of the moral decay of city life and noted the kingdom's decline. According to these legends, he ventured west to live as a hermit in the unsettled frontier at the age of 160. At the western gate of the city, or kingdom, he was recognized by a guard. The sentry asked the old master to produce a record of his wisdom. This is the legendary origin of the Daodejing. In some versions of the tale, the sentry is so touched by the work that he leaves with Laozi to never be seen again. Some legends elaborate further that the "Old Master" was the teacher of the Buddha, or the Buddha himself.

Ancient Taoist refers to Lao-Tzu as being a man who reached full enlightenment before his passing ( which according to legend was due to his choosing).

The Tao Te Ching is fundamental to the Philosophical Taoism

Please feel free to read the few verses within this wonderful book, i wouldn't call it so much a religious text, i would define it as a collection of verbal and symbolic puzzles of wisdom's.

Tao Te Ching - read online

please feel free to do your own research and draw your own conclusions
A great read for those interested in spiritualism.

wiki
Wiki ( Laozi )

[edit on 5-8-2009 by phi1618]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
well put

the tao that can be named is not the true tao

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
personally my favorite verse is:

The highest excellence is like (that of) water. The excellence of water appears in its benefiting all things, and in its occupying, without striving (to the contrary), the low place which all men dislike. Hence (its way) is near to (that of) the Tao.

its so elegant, i mean this verse compares that which we know nothing of ( the tao ) to the thing we see and use everyday to survive ( water ). Comparisons i feel are the easiest way to get difficult explanations across.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by phi1618]

+48 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

Thank-You for posting this..

Looks like I will be up for a while reading

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

Its well worth the read
in comparison to text like the bible which many people read over and over again this is a cakewalk
enjoy.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

Thanks for posting something fresh as this timeless classic into these threads! As you mention there is so much of the same Christians vs Atheists, and the constant bashing between the two. It's been awhile since i've read it, so now is as good a time as any to read it once again. S & F.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth Lumina

hehe yea people sometimes forget that there is more out there
this is one of those gems.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread, wise things are brought up here, in recent midst of hypocritical egoistic debates.

Buddhism is one more religion "compatible" with atheists which they can research - everyone has their own path and choice.

But, none of this is needed in quest for happiness. It is simply part of your path, like a bridge which you can use but don't have to - I think knowledge is thus a tool, it's not truth.
I'm also pretty sure no book can instantly make you realize god, or yourself if you will - literal interpretation of widely available bible (which most haven't even read) seems to be the fuel for many debates.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Thankyou for posting a thread about the Tao (pronounced daow I think?) Te Ching. Even as an atheist myself, I still read it for the benefit of its wisdom.

I have forgotten about it but I do have a hard copy on my bookshelf. I look forward to reading it again tonight

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
awesome, its a great read for anyone, regardless of religious beliefs.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
great read, really enjoyed it thanks.

line 2

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
It's interesting the theory that Lao Tzu was the truly enlightened, or he was in fact Buddha. Tao te Ching is much less religious to me and more encouraging, Buddhism makes me feel like "I'll never get there." That's ok with me because I don't take anything as gospel, just pointing that out. Buddhism has benefitted me a lot, don't get me wrong. But how does Buddha get away with sounding so egotistical at times? It's like some passages of Dhammapada he is just harping over and over on how much more virtuous the "one who has conquered himself" is than others.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
good point, but we need to keep in mind that most if not all religious text including those used by Buddhist have been skewed by man.

Thats why this work by Loazi is so great, no one has tampered with it

top topics

join