It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's birthday cake delivery

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Obama's birthday cake delivery

news.bbc.co.uk

US President Barack Obama surprised a reporter on her 89th birthday by walking into a press briefing carrying cupcakes and singing Happy Birthday.

Mr Obama, who shares the same birthday date as veteran White House correspondent Helen Thomas, turned 48 on Tuesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
An innocent proposal or a marriage of convenience?

(First watch the video in the article linked to.)

Is there more to this than meets the eye? Does Obama do anything on camera without consulting his advisors? Why would the President make overtures to this lady in particular?

A pretty formidable opponent, Mrs Thomas. So what do you think: was this a moment of genuine affection or a highly calculated, manipulative photo-op?

I'm all ears...

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
How's it going Pause?

I think this is an attempt from the Obama camp to make mends with Helen Thomas after the way Gibbs was treating them. She did write a pretty scathing article after that incident.

Sounds like nothing more than a cheap photo op and an attempt to get her to look past the misdeeds that the administration is doing. That the way I see it at least, Obama does not seem like the kind of guy to nice things for people unless it is for political advancement.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Well, it's a sad day when you have to ask questions like this. Who wants to have to look for hidden motives?

So she wrote a scathing article? Hmmm.

I was rather hoping to be proved wrong. It'll be interesting to see if someone comes in and makes a powerful case in the other direction.

It will be interesting if most people smell a fish too - though not very appetizing.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

That she did, I'll try to find it and post it up here.

That was just my opinion, I just don't really buy the thought that Obama was doing this out of the kindness of his heart.

Smells like a rotting fish to me.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
This guy(obama) is so contrived I don't know if he has an original thought or opinion,if you want an answer on your question here is my opinion look at the photo of obama Gates and the cop leaving the whitehouse after "beer fest" he doesn't even look back to see if his crippled friend is going to make it down the steps OK.With friends like that who needs them..............he's a narcissist

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Here it is.

Obama, Like All Presidents, Tries To Manage The News

This is the last line from the article:

It's a shame that the Obama administration has discarded his high-sounding rhetoric about transparency and openness. So far, it looks like change we can't believe in.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

I think we can take that as two votes in the same direction. I'll try and stay on the fence for now.

If this whole thing was feigned, it's very creepy. What could be worse than feigning sincerity?

Interesting that you refer to another recent indicator. I read some of the comments in the thread that discussed that photo. Some thought too much was being read into it. You clearly think a pattern is emerging, and it is certainly reasonable to refer to the wider picture. If you've got any other examples (or can link to the thread about that photo, please let us know).

We could do with some body language analysis on the birthday cake video. Anyone like to try?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

A scathing article indeed. I was going to say I couldn't quote it, as everyone should take a couple of minutes to read it right through. But after seeing this, it has to be quoted:

The military keeps us safe but the press -- which informs the American people -- keeps us free.

The importance of a free press is best illustrated by its prominence on the to-do list of would-be dictators. The first move by coup supporters is to seize the news media, take over the local broadcast stations and censor the newspapers.

HOLY COW. There really is more to this birthday cake than meets the eye. Either BO is an incredibly gracious peace-maker or the dough was effectively laced with arsenic.

I say this lady was probably smiling through gritted teeth. Just going to have another look...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Also in the end of the video did you notice how, to me, it looked like he took a jab by "saying I'll leave it up to you to distribute the cupcakes". Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but this really seems like Obama trying to get back into her good graces.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
This is funny! I don't think it's 'breaking political news' - more like comic relief!

Didn't someone on the press corps sometime say that Helen Thomas was like the batty old aunt that you keep locked up in the attic so she doesn't embarrass herself and others? I googled ... but couldn't find the quote.

Why does Obama want to get in her 'good graces'?
She's not even a reporter. She's a left wing blogger
who is long past their prime .. she's awful.

Perhaps it was a subconscious (or not so subconscious) play so that
he could get attention to the fact that it's his own birthday? I wouldn't put
it past his ego. But we'll never know ...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Photo-op, smoto-op, fishy-wishy... even if it's all manipulation, of whish I doubt (miss-spelling intentional) it's still a darned nice thing to do for someone.

Especially on a persons 89th freaking birthday!

Even -if- there some sort of secondary political bs on the side, it was still a nice thing to do....

Geeze folks, not everything in the world is an 'evil' or manipulative act.

And I thought 'I' was a skeptical bastard at times.
M.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Those sad little cupcakes were pathetic...a nice big sheetcake whipped up in the white house kitchen would have been much more appropriate for such a large group...for crying out loud, she is 89 years old! Cant they do better than makeshift cupcakes with a sad little candle.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I'd say FlyersFan was a middle-grounder & Moshpet just lobbed a custard pie in my direction.

The thing is, Moshpet, if I'd raised the question only on the basis of the birthday cake I'd be asking for it. It's just that on the back of the prior incident (and, as it turns out, Mrs Thomas' subsequent article) these two really have got some history.

I hate to say it, but check out Obama's facial expression while he's walking in singing Happy Birthday.

Reminds me of the Adams Family.

reply to post by Missing Blue Sky

Wow! An astute observation. Could it be a veiled insult?

[edit on 5/8/09 by pause4thought]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I say, "WHO CARES."

It was a nice birthday gesture regardless of his motivation. She is 89, how many birthdays does she have left? It will make great heirloom for her family. Photo of grandma with a birthday cake from the president!

Sure he wants all the press in his good graces, that is part of being a politician, but the reason he picked her is pretty obvious; they share the same birthday!

Nope, don't see anything sinister here, and even if I did, who cares.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Just watched the video, and I say TOTALLY SINCERE!

I am not one of the Obamanauts, so no need going there, but he doesn't have a photographer standing by, he doesn't initiate the photo op, it seems to be an afterthought, and both of them appear to have real smiles.

Obama even comes back to kiss her on the cheek after he starts to walk away!

Sure, he may benefit from the gesture, but that should not belittle it in anyway!

Now, who was the a--hole behind her that never stood up?? He didn't stand up when the president entered, he didn't sing, he didn't show any respect for POTUS or the birthday girl either one??

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I couldn't see the guy's face. You sure he's not singing?

One thing I did notice is that Obama just doesn't smile until he's facing the photographer.

There is a certain awkwardness to his demeanor, I'd say. Is he perhaps a little awkward in social situations? Or, looking at it from his perspective, is he uncomfortable snuggling up to a pack of wolves?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Or, looking at it from his perspective, is he uncomfortable snuggling up to a pack of wolves?

Maybe! That is a hostile crowd, or at least could become that way in a flash!

I have seen Obama in other social situations where he looks a little awkward as well. I don't know if that is the case or not. He seems very comfortable in front of a crowd with a microphone, but looks awkward when he is out mingling?

He is certainly in way over his head, and it is probably starting to sink in by now!! Imagine the "buyer's remorse" after a couple of months in the White House. You can't just walk away and the fate of the world hangs on your decisions, you can't trust any friend or enemy, and every move you make is dissected relentlessly. Only a fool would ever want that job!

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

This is getting pretty deep. Amazing what a birthday cake, I mean cup cakes, can achieve.

You almost had me in tears feeling sorry for the guy. Till the last line.

Seriously, though, we both know he's well-educated and a gifted speaker. If only that were all that were needed to make a leading politician. Unfortunately it seems to require an extraordinary gift to be able to say one thing and do another.

Which brings us back to Mrs. Thomas' birthday. How can you sing Happy Birthday, look like you've just come from your mother's grave, then give an octogenarian cup cakes with a candle on the top?

It's bordering on a Monty Python sketch. Someone ought to set this to music & post it on YouTube.

'Course he might just love the old lady after all.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

If this whole thing was feigned, it's very creepy. What could be worse than feigning sincerity?

How do you think a conman operates?

[edit on 013131p://bWednesday2009 by Stormdancer777]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join