It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mark Thomas has some great ideas for new laws!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
There are only a few people on ATS, I'd imagine, who know of Mark Thomas, British activist and comedian. Which is a shame, because he's very bright and very funny and his heart is firmly in the right place.

On his recent UK tour, he's been getting the audience to suggest policies, then vote on which they prefer. One policy from each gig is then posted and he's trying to get them implemented.

As you'd expect, a lot of them are very funny and to the point. You can find them on this page.

(You have to scroll down to see the list of policies at the moment - I don't know why the top part is blank.)

My favourites include:

• The introduction of the prohibition of deception law, making it illegal for MPs to knowingly lie. It shall be known as Archer's law
  • We should be able to cast a vote against a political party rather than for them, each vote is deducted from their total "for" votes
  • Anyone found guilty of homophobic hate crime has to serve their sentence in drag
  • Police to wear "How can I help ?" and "How am I policing ? Phone 999" badges
  • The Daily Mail should have to declare on the masthead "The newspaper that supported Hitler!"
  • Directors and CEOs of banks receiving state bail out are to be barred for life from being a company director
  • Because it is so safe police officers are themselves tasered each time they taser a member of the public
  • MPs who have received expenses for their second homes should have open days for the public
  • OCD sufferers should be employed as cleaners in the NHS, to get rid of MRSA

Ok, so these are just the funny ones. There's clearly also a lot of support for the idea of building council houses again, for re-nationalising the railways, for free speech, and for holding MPs to account.

And members of the public came up with all these ideas.

Anyone in the US doing something remotely similar? If not, why not? If Alex Jones had a lighter touch and a better sense of humour, he might be more popular, you know.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I did listen to some of Mark's shows on the Radio on this subject. He has always been into exposing corruption and government cover-ups.He was always a comedian, so his delivery on the subjects is very engaging.

Alex Jones will never have mass appeal especially in the UK, for a layman to turn on to Alex Jones and hear his rant's, you would think the guy to be a nut job. Funny thing is I've been listening to AJ for years now and know he's doing a good job, it's just a shame he hasn't got the articulation and delivery to engage more.
I thought if the Obama Deception had of been narrated in an articulate British accent rather than Alex's Texan accent, it would have far more of an impact.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Hmmm... I suspect a British accent (and let's face it, you mean RSP rather than cockney or Geordie) would have alienated American viewers.

I don't have a problem with Jones' accent - it's his bombastic delivery and occasional lapses into hysteria I find unpalatable. His occasional attempts at humour are leaden and embarrassing.

What I really like about the suggestions is the humour shown by the GBP (Great British Public). "How am I policing? Dial 999!" could have come from Viz. Yet at the same time there are serious points being made.

MT should be much, much more famous. But if you spend your time messing with the Establishment, you're not going to get on TV much, even channel 4. Shame.

Still he's doing a lot of gigs and I'm sure they're selling out.

join