It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark forces at work in the Crypto world: The "Lost Evidence".

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
You know, I'm so glad that you made this thread. I noticed it too and thought that is was very odd.

Very odd. I will reply in sequence.

1. I spent at least three hours personally looking around for that Mokele-Mbembe video. I couldn't even find any footage from that one show "That's Incredible" except for that YouTube clip. For a show with a bunch of seasons, well-known hosts, why on earth hasn't it been released on VHS or DVD? Why isn't anyone trying to sell this footage?

I looked all over the internet and I found tons of people saying "Er, I've seen the Japanese Footage." But it's nowhere to be found. Just that one picture that we found from the clip. It makes no sense.

2. Same deal. Where on earth did that image go?

3. That makes me extraordinarily uncomfortable. That show is popular, people record it, you can get the DVDs. Who is telling the companies not to release this footage?

You know, as much as I do, that these are critically important pieces of evidence. Important pieces of science.

In terms of the cause... here are (what I think) the most likely explanations. Not in any order.
1. Crypto Fans decided that they would all claim to have seen footage to me them look "cool." This may not be happening on our site, but perhaps on Cryptomundo, perhaps on other places around the net.

2. Someone is taking this footage.

I don't think the hoax explanation flies. We see tons of hoaxes and they are almost never taken down. Usually a tag is added if the creator feels pressured to inform the public that it is a hoax. Who would dig through all of the accessible footage on the internet and possibly on DVD or VHS and remove it from everything? Besides, if it's a hoax, it wouldn't be a big deal- there are tons of hoaxes.

I think somebody has taken this footage. But what doesn't make sense to me is that there are a plethora of videos that could be real. Are we supposed to assume that none of the footage we have seen is real with the exception of these three things? (As opposed to videos all over the place which have not been removed.)

This starts all sorts of other questions.

Is there more footage out there which has been confiscated before it ever got online? Are people paying to do this. It can't be Creationists... except for maybe the Mokele-Mbembe if they're trying to argue the humans+Dinos thing... but how can anybody remove all these things unless they are the same people who put them up, unless it's the government.

If it's the government, or some agency, why on earth even bother? Why keep them cryptids, why not just identify them and be done with it? Protect the species, make extraordinary fines and jailtime a punishment for harming the animals, and let people know. Otherwise, how are people going to no not to kill it? If someone goes to... Africa... and sees a Mokele-Mbembe out of nowhere- yeah, they might kill it. How are they supposed to not to? (And Raven repeatedly saying "Don't kill it, get footage and hairs or feces" does not count)

It's confusing. But it's very strange.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I have to agree there was a photo on the net back in the wee early days of the net and I do recall seeing it. But back then you could also download the entire set of schematics to build a nuclear bomb, shelter and how to enrich the plutonium for the bomb with a big warning of "Don't do this at home you'll die for sure". Obviously a lot has changed sense govt.'s started playing on the net.

Interesting idea on the time travel thing although for a case like this what would be the purpose of say hiding a bird?

But does bring a valid question to the table. If that was the case then apparently you could remove items from time but not memories. Such as make sure the picture was never taken in the first place however because you had to stop it from happening it means it already did and would have already been seen and implanted in a persons memory so removing the item only removes the physical evidence of it and creates what we all refer to as the ever so common false memory.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Thunderbird (mythology)

The Sioux believed that in "old times" the Thunderbirds destroyed dangerous reptilian monsters called the Unktehila.

Thunderbirds
Did the American Indians see 'winged dinosaurs'?

However, my research on the Indians of North and South America permits a different conclusion. There are many stories and related lines of evidence suggesting that the American Indians may have a long history of encountering creatures reminiscent of pterosaurs, especially the huge Pteranodon or the even larger Quetzalcoatlus (see aside below). The following stories, all on similar themes (even though they generally have obvious legendary aspects, presumably accumulated through retelling), raise the intriguing possibility of a common basis in historical reality.

Same link as above.

While exploring the Sonora Desert on 12 February 1699, Captain Juan Mateo Manje, accompanied by Jesuits Eusebio Francisco Kino and Adamo Gil, was told by the Pima Indians that a giant monster lived in a nearby cave in days past. It was a menace to the Pima because it would fly around and catch as many Indians as it could eat.

One day, after the creature had eaten its fill, some Indians followed it back to its cave. When it was sound asleep they closed the entrance of the cave with wood collected for this occasion; then set it on fire. The creature couldn't escape and, growling fiercely, died as it was asphyxiated by the flames and smoke.1

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Does this look anything like the lost thunderbird photo.. quality sux.. but was it this or some better version of this one ??

found a discriptive text for this one..
"(Existing sketch based on what others remeber seeing)"
So its a mockup of what the lost photo looked like :/

These two photos apparently show Union soldiers standing over the corpses of an unknown species of giant bird. The upper photo is reputed to be of the so-called "Thunderbird" of American Indian myth, while the lower photo has been tentatively identified to show some form of pterodactyl. Unfortunately, little is known about when or where these pictures where taken or what happened to the corpses.

apparently showing images is broken.. guess you will have to click

[edit on 5-8-2009 by SilverSurfer]

[edit on 5-8-2009 by SilverSurfer]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SilverSurfer

It's not broken.

To embed an image, you have to upload through the Media site and embed the image from there. The [img ] [/ img] tags will just produce links from now on.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

The theory that "some force" could have removed all evidence of any of these cryptids from the Internet may be believable. I'm sure somewhere on the planet there is someone gifted enough to remove something in its entirety from the Internet. If you're plugged in, then it can be removed.

BUT the problem with that approach is that many of these "eye-witnesses" claim to have seen the "lost evidence" in books...

Cryptomundo - comments

Kim
I know the photo was in a book called “Mysteries of the Unexplained”. It was on page 45. I was given this book as a gift in the 1980’s when I was in Highschool. I studied this book, showed it to every one I knew and talked about it all the time! When I met my husband, and started telling him about Fortean Phenom. I showed this book, and the photo of the Thunderbird nailed to an out building/small barn wall.

And:

siquisiri
This is my first post on this forum. As a teen in the late 1980’s, I recall seeing a book of unexplained mysteries with the infamous Thunderbird pic. I seem to remember that it was an old picture of a enormous bird or eagle nailed to a barn, not a Pterodactyl. I remember the pic bothered me because it was nailed to the barn with its wings spread out and it took up the entire side of the barn.

And:

realgoatboy
The descriptions are completely in accord with what I saw when I was a kid (in a general fortean-interest book, cant remember the title, but I remember the photo)

And so on. It's one thing to remove something from the Internet. It's a whole other game removing photographs out of books in private collections...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

You're going to think this is ridiculous.

But I think that I have that book.

You just stay right there.

I have a book called Mysteries of the Unexplained from 1982.

Do you think...? I have the book right here, let me look.

Edit- It's not on page 45 but I'll look through the whole thing. I have another book it might be in, too. I didn't even think to look.

[edit on 8/5/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
if people clearly can recall the photographs and books, then shouldnt someone still have the book? I think i may begin going to used bookstores to see if i cant produce a record of it.
nice thread S&F

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SilverSurfer

The first image is a sketch someone drew from memory to illustrate what the "lost pterodactyl photograph" looked like.

As for the other two photographs: They have been discussed earlier in this thread. Both are hoaxes.

You'll find more info on them in the Cryptomundo Link posted earlier.

Keep digging.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The book was written by Carroll C Calkins.
strangely i cannot find any information about the author, other than she wrote two books, one titles The Story of America, and Mysteries of the Unexplained.
Strange enough her book was hosted by readers digest....
wouldnt you think that readers digest would have some information on the topic, if so hopefully other people throughout the printing of the book saw the picture.
i cannot seem to find any pictures or a authors profile on her anywhere.
it seems as if the only evidence of her existing is her books.

maybe with enough research someone can find her email address and ask her a few questions, if shes willing to

[edit on 5-8-2009 by NeoAstra]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

That would be an interesting twist in the tale... Imagine if we retrieved one of the "lost photographs" by sheer coincidence...

Just as a matter of interest. Was there anything about the Thunderbird/pterodactyl on pg 45?

[edit on 5-8-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoAstra

That's a pretty good idea. My guess, however, is that if there's little info on the author that she may have been writing under a pseudonym.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

...Yeah. There is. Actually.

Here:

"The last of the pterodactyls- flying reptiles with leathery wings and long, toothy beaks- died about 100 million years ago, according to established scientific opinion. But the experience of a number of startled French workmen, the last one died in the winter of 1856 in a partially completed railway tunnel between the St.Dizier and Nancy lines.

In the half-light of the tunnel, something monstrous stumbled toward the out of a great boulder of Jurassic limestone they had just split open. It fluttered its wings, croaked, and died at their feet.

The creature, whose wingspan was 10 feet 7 inches, had four legs joined by a membrane, like a bat. What should have been feet were long talons, and the mouth was arrayed with sharp teeth. The skin was like black leather, thick and oily.

At the nearby town of Gray, the creature was immediately identified by a local student of paleontology as a pterodactyl. The rock stratum in which it had been found was consistent with the period when pterodactyls lived, and the limestone boulder that had (page turn) imprisoned the winged reptile for millions of years was found to contain a cavity in the form of an exact mold of the creature's body. (The Illustrated London News, February 9, 1856, p.166)"

My book is "Mysteries of the Unexplained" Reader's Digest, 1982.

There is, on that page 45, a big box about Toads in Coal. I'm still looking through this book. There was a crypto section, but it didn't say much about anything that flies except Mothman/Jersey Devil, with that weird sketch Jersey drawing.

There was no such picture in that book but I have some others I want to look through. I'll be refreshing the thread while I read.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I can't find it.

But. I believe I am going to be attending a nearby book fair on Friday.

This is weird. I'm going to find it.

I found people saying that apparently the picture was of a Pterondon.

I'm still looking.

And of course John Keel just died like a month ago and he was looking for it, too.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I have a copy of Mysteries of the Universe by Reader's Digest. Copyright 1982. Hardback 320 pages. I just pulled it out of an old dusty box in my attic. Is this the one?

EDIT: There is an entry on pg. 45 discussing "the last of the pterodactyls", but no image.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

How about this ? I'm stretching possibility here but have an excuse I'm dog tired LOL.

If our universe is actually more not there than there and is popping in and out of existence, according to our focus/desires/beliefs. Then, is it not possible that this can work in revers ?

For example should an individual be in contemplation of a given subject, lets say the hugely varied theories involved on the topic of pyramids. There are some that have noted the "coincidence" of evidence presenting itself/turning up in relation to what they were contemplating.

Now if this big stretch of physical possibility, has any credence, in that what we focus on gravitates into our reality could the reverse also occur ?

Could it be possible that we shift between timeliness of possibility, albeit very subtly ?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I have a book called Mysteries of the Unexplained from 1982.

Christ I'm sure I was looking at the cover of that book 2 weeks ago, there is a worm in my swede telling me I used to own the book at one point.

I'm off before my brain hurts

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Yeah, I think that's like the one I just checked. Same deal.

Possibly a first edition print still contains the picture?

Also, take a look at this website: www.strangemag.com...#

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

I think that tons of people did. I need to get a first edition copy in my hands.

It makes no sense that this picture disappeared out of books like that.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

My copy tells a story of startled French workmen who in 1856 discovered a Pterodactyl in a partially completed train tunnel while digging through a Jurassic limestone layer.

"In the half-light of the tunnel, something monstrous stumbled toward them out of a great boulder of Jurassic limestone they had just split open. It fluttered it's wings, croaked, and died at their feet."

Wingspan was 10 ft. 7in.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join