It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops are Human Too!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Every day it's something new. Cops make mistakes. Everyone else makes mistakes too, but few get the publicity, or spark the outrage that a cop making a mistake does.

It seems that either the cops are getting worse at hiding their problems, or they are just getting discovered more, by someone willing to hold them accountable. For your reading pleasure, three fairly new articles with cops that were multi-year veterans, found out to be doing some stuff they shouldn't have.

The big question: How many chances do you give a cop when he breaks the law? How can a cop be bad for over a dozen years and still be a cop? Why are other cops apparently so afraid of cleaning their own house? How can we tell the ones we are supposed to trust?

Ex-Pinal County SWAT commander suspended

Link to Source

Associated Press - August 1, 2009 3:24 PM ET FLORENCE, Ariz. (AP) - A former SWAT commander of the Pinal County Sheriff's Office has been suspended after numerous complaints accusing the deputy of criminal activity. Sheriff's officials say Sgt. Scott Gillen is accused of theft, malfeasance of office, nonfeasance of office and converting evidence for personal use. They say the allegations stem from complaints from within the department and from private citizens. Gillen is an 18-year veteran and has been placed on administrative leave. Sheriff's officials say the case has been referred to the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office for investigation.

Defrauding, prostitute-hiring ex-officer gets probation

Link to Source

Ex-Cpl. Bill Billings had entered a no-contest plea to felony charges of scheme to defraud and official misconduct in June. In court on Tuesday, he admitted paying women for sex while on duty not just in recent years but as long as a decade ago.

Billings, who had been with the Gainesville Police Department for decades, resigned last year after similar allegations surfaced again and this time were verified by the department in an internal investigation.

Lafayette officer arrested in theft

Link to Source

LAFAYETTE — A 14-year-veteran of the Lafayette Police Department was arrested on theft counts Tuesday in Acadia Parish.

Maxine Trahan, spokeswoman for the Acadia Parish Sheriff’s Office, said Howard, 39, faces one count each of principal to felony theft and conspiracy to commit felony theft.

Howard has been placed on administrative leave effective immediately, pending the completion of an internal and criminal investigation, the release says.

So, folks, what's going on? This is but a small portion of the sampling available from this last weekend. Is it stress? Are they just crooks? How can they get away with these things for so long? What's the solution?

If you've never visited unknownnews.org they have a pretty good thing going on. Not much in the way of conspiracies, but a lot in the way of rights, freedoms, and bad cops.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
To answer your questions (at least with my opinion)....

How many chances do you give a cop when he breaks the law?

This one is easy: 0. A cop is in charge of enforcing the law. If they can't follow the law, they are exempt. Period.

How can a cop be bad for over a dozen years and still be a cop?

Also an easy one: They don't get caught. Same answer that a burglar can be a burglar for years.

Why are other cops apparently so afraid of cleaning their own house?

I am not sure if fear is the motivator here. People in authority some times (being generous here) feel they are above reproach. Also, there is something called the Blue Code of Silence. Several movies were based around this.

How can we tell the ones we are supposed to trust?

I try to judge officers on an individual basis. I have met good ones. I have met bad ones. Based on personal experience, it is about 50/50. However, my sampling size is a bit small.

So, folks, what's going on?

Well, your news links already explain what is going on.

Is it stress?

Stress from trying to make ends meet I would guess. Low pay, long hours. I can't image what would cause a cop to make a bad choice. (/sarcasm)

Are they just crooks?

If they are being tried and convicted then yes, they are crooks.

How can they get away with these things for so long?

Blue Code of Silence.

What's the solution?

Better training, better psych evals beforehand, and better pay. Oh, none of this is going to happen anytime soon, but it's what is needed.

new topics

join