It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama - move GITMO terrorists to Michigan, Kansas Prisons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Story Here

WASHINGTON – The Obama administration is looking at creating a courtroom-within-a-prison complex in the U.S. to house suspected terrorists, combining military and civilian detention facilities at a single maximum-security prison.

Several senior U.S. officials said the administration is eyeing a soon-to-be-shuttered state maximum security prison in Michigan and the 134-year-old military penitentiary at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., as possible locations for a heavily guarded site to hold the 229 suspected al-Qaida, Taliban and foreign fighters now jailed at the Guantanamo Bay detention camp in Cuba.

The officials outlined the plans — the latest effort to comply with President Barack Obama's order to close the prison camp by Jan. 22, 2010, and satisfy congressional and public fears about incarcerating terror suspects on American soil — on condition of anonymity because the options are under review.

:shk:

Coming soon to your state ... radical islamic terrorists. Lovely.
We have enough criminals in this country, we don't need to be importing them.

And Michigan?? Who came up with that? Isn't Michigan, and 'Little Saudi', supposedly full of radical muslims? At least .. that's what we've been told in the past ...

Weren't there stories in the news a few years back about how the sleeper cells
and the financing for terrorism was supposedly going through Michigan?

MSNBC - Is Michigan A Terror Stronghold?

A police report obtained by Newsweek calls Detroit “a lucrative recruiting area and potential support base for international groups.”

Almost every major terrorist organization has operatives in Michigan, according to the report. Citing information received from the Detroit office of the FBI, the report says “most of the 28 international terrorist groups recently identified by the State Department… are represented in Michigan. Examples include such well-known terrorist organizations as Hizballah, Hamas, Islamic Jihad, Egyptian Brotherhood, Al-Gama’at, Al-Islamiyya, and Osama bin Laden’s terrorist organization—Al Qaeda.” The Detroit office of the FBI declines to comment on the report, which it has not yet reviewed, says a spokeswoman.

American Thinker
Michigan Daily
American Chronicle - Michigans Hezbollah Connection
Gerard Group

Our best information indicates that there are active cells in virtually every state in the Union, with concentrations of activity and large organizational centers in such locations as Northern Virginia (just outside Washington, DC), Michigan, Arizona, Ohio, New York, Florida, California, and Illinois.

So with all these (alleged) terrorist sleep cells ... and not so asleep cells ... you'd think the Obama (in)Justice Department would be smart enough not to import more terrorists. But nooooooooooooooo ...

Just leave them where they are. GITMO works just fine. If bleeding heart foreigners don't like it then they can house the terrorists in their countries and show us how they think it should be done.

It's easy enough to have trials in GITMO. No need to bring them here.

Some info on Obama's picks to help keep us all safe from the terrorists -
(warning .. it'll spook ya')

Eric Holder
Jennifer Draskal

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

S & F for your post! I agree with your opinion wholeheartedly.

I saw that earlier on the news. I don't understand the logic behind it really and think it's a very bad idea. Leave them where they are and get the court process rolling there IMO.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
sorry double post

[edit on 3-8-2009 by sugarmonkey]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Last I knew Dearborn & surrounding area had the highest Middle Eastern concentration of people than anywhere other than the Middle East. I've been there many times, it's kind of like "Little China". All the store signs and advertisement billboards are in Arabic.

Moving terrorist prisoners to this area sounds like a terrible idea that wasn't given 5 minutes of thought.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
If you complain about terrorists being in your backyard, then you're missing the point. This is about bringing the gitmo system of justice (no habeus corpus) to America, not because someone named Muhammed that wanted to bomb something.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Last I knew Dearborn & surrounding area had the highest Middle Eastern concentration of people than anywhere other than the Middle East. I've been there many times, it's kind of like "Little China". All the store signs and advertisement billboards are in Arabic.

Moving terrorist prisoners to this area sounds like a terrible idea that wasn't given 5 minutes of thought.

Yeah your right I live right outside of dearborn and go there about once a month to eat/shop/bars. It is like a china town most of the stores are not even in english its just arabic. Its all fear mongering if u ask me,the "terrorist cells"I mean If its so bad how come nothing has ever happened in dearborn/detroit/lansing/ann arbor?
I'm more afraid of getting car jacked going to work in detroit than I am of a terrorist attack coming from dearborn. There is no reason to bring terrorist on u.s. soil period. Leave it to gov ghranholm to do this. The gov who just released a few hundred convicted felons from prison because our prisons are overcrowded. But yet the ppl with minor sentences have to than in jail. And my friend wonder why I'm so worried for my safety. I'm not saying there are not cells in dearborn cause there probably are. But if it is so bad why would they put the enemy right next to each other?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I don't particularly care where they're locked up, as long as they're locked up.

Gitmo was a lame attempt to do an end run around the US justice system, I'm glad to hear it's going the way of the dodo...

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
I don't particularly care where they're locked up, as long as they're locked up.

Keep 'em locked up for sure. But not here. Importing them is insane.
We have other places they can be kept. It doesn't have to be here.
They can get their trials elsewhere just the same. IMHO.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
No one ever mentioned building a tent city in Death Valley as a viable alternative. I guess there is no good location on US soil to house these terrorists. Period. The beauty of Gitmo is its location and virtual isolation. These terrorists are living in style at the cost of the taxpayers. We can't even deport them because their home nations don't even want them.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by agent0range

Originally posted by jjkenobi

Yeah your right I live right outside of dearborn and go there about once a month to eat/shop/bars. It is like a china town most of the stores are not even in english its just arabic. Its all fear mongering if u ask me,the "terrorist cells"I mean If its so bad how come nothing has ever happened in dearborn/detroit/lansing/ann arbor?
I'm more afraid of getting car jacked going to work in detroit than I am of a terrorist attack coming from dearborn.

I've also lived in the area and I'm calling BS on the "Terrorist stronghold" thing.

Michigan is probably the best place to send them. The only building worth bombing is protected by a military base that's five miles away (complete with a rumored underground tunnel connecting the two). Plus, these supposed "terrorists" who are so prominent in the Detroit area are actually bought and owned by the same nation-wide drug cartel that pawns the politicians. These researchers are almost certainly mistaking gang activity for terrorist activity. And because violence is bad for drug sales, any small-scale attacks (suicide bombings, etc.) would virtually ensure that contracts would wind up on the heads of any local terrorist leaders who may exist. Gangsters aren't restrained by laws, and Detroit doesn't have any caves to hide in.

[edit on 6-8-2009 by theWCH]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
There is no real need or point to bring them here.

Where is the reasoning, seriously? And why Michigan? Dearborn is the middle eastern capital in the US, although I've never had an problem there.

But there is a connection there. IF Dearborn has a high concetration of Al-Qaeda ( I don't know, couldn't tell you), and they plan to imprison Al-Qaeda terrorists in a close proximity, then there's a reason.

And not knowing what that is makes me slightly uncomfortable.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Obama has finally decided to release the terrorists.
Hmmm, he is finally doing something he promised to do.
Anything to get those poll numbers back up.

There was a time when people would angrily say Bush created these terrorists, haha.
Now Obama is welcoming them with open arms and these same people are now all smiles.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
They are not being released, just being put transferred to a different prison.

Read the OP again.

join