It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony says video games should cost 70 pounds, $110 USD!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   

The ex-Sony Europe CEO and current Codemasters board member, known to some as the Father of the PlayStation for the way he pushed the platform to dominance in Europe, has speculated that games may well rise to around £70 GBP ($110 USD)in the UK soon as developers are forced to spend more and more money pursuing the best graphics.

Bit Tech

So how about it, all you PS3 owners in the US...

Will you be willing to pay $110/game????

I think this is again another case of Sony shooting itself in the foot...again......

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Remember the Neo-Geo? Like three kids in America had one. I believe Ricky Schroder was one of them.

Games for that thing cost $500-$700 dollars. Of course a Neo-Geo cart was the processor and RAM of the machine. It was like an empty arcade machine at home and the carts were the guts not just the software.

Sony should try an experiment and sell their Sony company titles at $110 and see how well they sell compared to the third party titles.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Never will happen unless microsoft and Nintendo goes along with it and raises their prices.

Suicide if they do it alone.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Great way to kill your business. Maybe these shrills will get the idea when the games rot on shelves collecting dust. They did it to themselves by releasing overpriced garbage consoles. End the four year cycle and focus on making games people want not hardware that is gimp or breaks every week...

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
of course sony says this, they cant compete in the game market nemore without being severley overpriced. with microsoft continously reducing the price of the 360 sony had to do the same with there ps3 but they are making practicaly nothing selling it at the price they are now, also they are only aloud to reduce the price of there console to a certion point anyways cause Blu Ray dosent was the ps3 to be cheaper than there standard bluray players also ps3 uses blu ray discs shich cost more than standard dvd, so i dont see how they kept the price so similar in games between the ps3 and xbox for so long...

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by tylerc25211

By the way i know my use of grammar and punctuation is very poor in that paragraph. I'm just too lazy to fix it... sorry guys ha ha.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I'm not sure this is a big deal. when i was yound i used to play the final fantasy 3 game on snes. i paid over a hundred bucks for IT when it came out. So a hundred bucks for this generation of games while comparable in price gives you way better quality.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
This is one of the many reasons why I switched to an xbox 360, sony is a money grapping crappy organisation who`s products are falling behind in a market they used to dominate. I do not own anything made by them anymore when at one point my whole entertainment system was sony, I feel samsung is cheaper and better quality. Announcements like this just reinforce my feelings if they continue down this road then a PS4 will never see the light of day

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by tylerc25211... also ps3 uses blu ray discs shich cost more than standard dvd, so i dont see how they kept the price so similar in games between the ps3 and xbox for so long...

I think the industry really screwed up as a whole when it comes to high def. Dont get me wrong, I love my pretty games and all but very few homes in America have HDTV's. Maybe they thought their consoles would push people into buying HGTV's but most of my friends with Xbox's or PS3's are still playing on SDTV's. They spent so much on the stupid console they cant afford to go out and get a new TV.

This cycle will have to be stretched out longer than any other. Consumers dont have the money for new consoles like they used to and they certainly dont have the money to go HD.

I would be amazed if this cycle didnt make it 10 years at least before the next one. The 360 is about 4 years old and still launch day purchasers are playing on SDTV's. PS3 is a year younger and it still seems brand new simply because so few people own one.

Another sign of the extension of the cycle is Miscrosoft has time to work on useless gimmicks like NATAL. Remember when Nintendo and SEGA had their "gimmick" war? The end result was a lot of useless crap like the U-Force, PowerGlove, Activator, etc...

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Has anyone noticed that the guy who said this doesn't actually work for Sony anymore? And that he's only speculating about what might happen in the future?

Putting the thread title as "Sony says video games should cost 70 pounds, $110 USD!" is a bit misleading in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Malech

If you read trhe quote, much less the article linked, youi will see that....

He says it "should" cost.....

It seems to me this is kinda a dipping a toe in the water kinda thing to see the reaction....

I think if they get enough heck with that, I am getting a 360, it may not come to be.

We need Mirthful Me to fling poo at the excec's from Sony.

Simian mods, not just for chat banning anymore.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
if it does come to that, then I will take up a new hobby.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

"The ex-Sony Europe CEO and current Codemasters board member... has speculated that games may well rise to around £70 GBP ($110 USD)in the UK soon as developers are forced to spend more and more money pursuing the best graphics."

“In order to price these games at a level where they would support an industry [as strongly as] they did ten years ago, they’d have to be sold at £70. But people just don’t have that kind of money, there’s a psychological glass ceiling," said Deering.

Those quotes are both from your article. In neither (nor the article) does he say that games 'should' be priced at £70. As you can see at the start of the first quote, he also doesn't work for Sony.

In fact, if you read the original article here, disregarding the title, his actual point is that games need to be made more efficiently as consumers won't spend this kind of money.

“Before there can be as many successful blockbuster games as there were in the past, games have to be produced in a more efficient fashion.

“In order to price these games at a level where they would support an industry [as strongly as] they did ten years ago, they’d have to be sold at £70. But people just don’t have that kind of money, there’s a psychological glass ceiling.

“Consumers won’t spend more, but to write the game, publishers are having to spend more than ever before. That’s the key problem.”

[edit on 1/8/2009 by Malech]

[edit on 1/8/2009 by Malech]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

yeah, i agree, they do try to make u purchase hdtv's with gaming consoles, i bought a xbox 360, and about 3 months later i got a HDTV. prety much for the xobx...

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
as long as development is not limited to one specific area like graphics.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
They should actually do the opposite and sell all new releases for $20. Unless they actually decide to put some quality work into the games they make, I think that is a fair price, considering alot of people are spending $50 to $70 for games that turn out to be buggy, mediocre, pieces of crap. Not all games are bad. There are alot of shining examples of what games should be, like Fallout 3 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare. Both games with infinite replay value. Most games are made just to earn the software developers a quick buck these days it seems. There are good ones, but the majority are the digital equivalent to excrement.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
That's it. I'm boycotting Sony. I'm sick of all their crap.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Femacamper

well, it has been said, if you want a companies attention......

Vote with your dollars...........

If everyone stopped buying ps3's and it's games, they either have to lower prices or drop the product.

Voting with your dollars, not just for wars anymore....

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I am all for $110 USD PS3 games... On some conditions. It has to be really addicting and really mind blowing. It has to have the ability to have hundreds of playing hours in the game. It must be cutting edge tech. It must be what my friends drool for.

Example. The PS3 game "Oblivion" only cost me about 40 dollars, and it has had more than 200 hours of playing time already in that one game.

Are the games worth 110 dollars in the future? If they are better than drugs, then yes they are worth it.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
reply to post by Femacamper

well, it has been said, if you want a companies attention......

Vote with your dollars...........

If everyone stopped buying ps3's and it's games, they either have to lower prices or drop the product.

Voting with your dollars, not just for wars anymore....

Actually, I've been boycotting Sony ever since the spyware debacle with their music cds.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by Femacamper]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join