It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why a Man Let 2,000 Malaria-Infected Mosquitoes Bite Him

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Why a Man Let 2,000 Malaria-Infected Mosquitoes Bite Him

news.yahoo.com

By Ben Harder Ben Harder – Fri Jul 31, 4:22 pm ET
Some people will go to extreme lengths to avoid mosquito bites. They'll wear long sleeves and pants in the heat of summer, surround themselves with citronella candles and torches, and spray foul-smelling chemicals all over their bodies--or simply not set foot outside when they know the bugs are biting.

Stephen Hoffman isn't quite like those people. In fact, he has gone out of his way to get bitten. Years ago, he let 2,000 mosquitoes feast on his arm and inject perhaps 200,000 parasites into his bloodstream. Why? Well, for one thing, i
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
This part is most fascinating to me,

"Progress toward a malaria vaccine, including a major new advance that European scientists reported this week, has already demanded a blood sacrifice from hundreds of people. Some, like Hoffman, have had scientific reasons for getting involved. Others have been regular citizens with good initial health, a tolerance for inconvenience and risk, and perhaps either a deep sense of altruism or an acute need for cash. The 15 volunteers in the new European study, most of whom were students at Radboud University in the Netherlands, got paid 1,500 euros (about $2,100) in compensation. Ten of them also gained immunity to malaria, through the infected mosquito bites they got. The other five, assigned to a control group that didn't develop immunity, came down with bad cases of the parasitic disease."

In this case humans were tested on, not animals. I feel honored to hear about this experiment, no matter how foolish it may sound at first. In my opinion this behavior is very new aged in the fact that even though these people knew that they would suffer a very horrible disease they still went along with it. (Do you guys think these testers did it for the money?)

Friedrich Nietzsche stated, "What does not kill me, makes me stronger."

These volunteers really stepped up. I applaud them for their efforts and their courage.

"It is by looking in on ourselves which will help us escape ourselves"

SVE

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by thedude69

Sooner or later we will realize that testing on humans is not something harsh leaders implement in their societies, if a person is willing to go through testing as long as he knows the risks it should be permitted.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Kudos to this guy and to all the people who risk their health and possibly their life to find better treatments or cures for malaria and to anyone that sacrifices to make others lives better

this disease kills so many children its just heartbreaking

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Aye kudos...

Those people have earned good karma for their deeds.

new topics

top topics

join