It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man jailed over lyrics in a song

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The idiot in this case plead GUILTY !! He would have had this thrown out fast if he had gotten a lawyer and held firm. It is NOT ' Corruption of an official by threat" any more than it is jaywalking. It is nonsense.

This guy did NOTHING wrong. He has a right to perform anything he likes as long as he does not take a step toward any ACTUAL violence. Typical dumb idiot. he should have pled NOt guilty and allow the courts to toss it all.

This is just an attempt to stifle free speech. I can WISH for anything I want and it is legal. I can HOPE for anything I want, and it is legal, and I can SAY anything I want, as long as it does not incite IMMEDIATE violence. The ONLY limits on free speech is that which tends to incite immediate violence. You cannot yell: FIRE!! in a crowded theatre, because people would LIKELY stampede and get hurt. But it is NOT a ' conspiracy' as one poster imagined, because a conspiracy takes TWO or more people planning a crime, and they have to take a positive step toward committing it...NOT just talk.

This is why I always tell people to plead NOT guilty at all times, and let the attorneys hash it out in court. Pleading guilty to a song that talks about a dead cop CANNOT be construed as an actual threat because...duh, the copper is already dead!! How can a DEAD COPPER get his feelings hurt or get scared by a lyric in a song? Impossible!!

This is another case of an IMPROPER charge , and a defendant that is too stupid to plead not guilty and win. I can scream as loud as I want to: " I hate cops and I hope 20 of them get shot tonight"..and it is perfectly legal. I can NOT say:" I am going to go kill a cop tonight' and then actually go out with a gun looking for cops. THAT could be said to be a threat...maybe...but for sure LYRICS IN A SONG CANNOT be said to be an actual threat.

It was based on an old law that no one ever heard of; the state had to dig deep just to come up with a phony charge and hope that the prisoner was stupid enough to plead. They got lucky. The ACLU should step in, file for a new trial, citing no counsel or ineffective counsel ( No lawyer worth a damn would ever have advised a guilty plea to such an obviously faulty chartge). and get this thrown out.

Of course the cop groupies and worshippers will rush in and try to tell us that all our Rights are suspended in this case because an exalted COP is involved, but that is silly.As long as no direct threat is involved...and as long as no action in furtherance of the alleged conspiracy is taken, then there is no case.

This is just a case of outraged cops and DA's trying to show their anger at someone who dared to mention their precious coppers. If it had been you or me that had been mentioned in a song, the cops would say; " Hey, thats your problem..go sue him".

This conviction can and should be tossed, and the charges dropped. It is bogus, and a threat to us all. OUR rights can be abused as easily as some dumb rappers. I HATE rap music, but I hate cops who think they are special and deserving of' verbal protection' even more. These charges are baseless, and only a fool would plead to them.

Stupid rapper....stupid cops....stupid DA's...what a mix.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I have always been a supporter of the constitution and, especially, the freedom of speech. Prosecutors claimed that the song made specific threats to two cops that the artist had encounters with. However, I fail to see the connection in the lyrics.

I do believe that threats towards someone should not be tolerated; even under the guise of freedom of speech. Where does one draw the line? Would the same connection be made to an author of a book or movie that someone made based on his/her life experiences?

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I work in downtown Atlanta. It is a war zone because of young thugs wantin to be this guy. I think they should and could lock some other ones up if they wanted to. Most of these "guyz" are actually idolised by younger poeple and you can't tell me it has done anything for the comunity but evil.
I wish they would all go away.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
What if you are a convicted coc aine addict or dealer and you use an internet board like ATS? If the answer is yes then the next thing we may have to endure is internet police doing background checks on posters and deciding if they are upright enough to have free speech or if you are stained and tainted to the point you have to censor yourself while posting or else risk Federal agents jumping through your window and hauling you to jail.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by RichieScott1

I do believe that threats towards someone should not be tolerated; even under the guise of freedom of speech.

Why? What harm could come from a threat? A person verbalizing their intentions doesn't make it any more or less likely to be carried out. It is the acting out of the threat that is already unlawful, no need to further restrict freedom of speech. Besides if someone is planning on harming me, I would like to know.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Moodle

you want better education and everyone to have a fair chance at life but you think it's ok to promote murder and get paid for it.

If you want to retain your right to free speech then you are going to have to defend that right. This means defending the First Amendment even when you disagree with how a person uses it.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by harvib
Why? What harm could come from a threat? A person verbalizing their intentions doesn't make it any more or less likely to be carried out. It is the acting out of the threat that is already unlawful, no need to further restrict freedom of speech. Besides if someone is planning on harming me, I would like to know.

Well, it is essentially a form of verbal assault. I remember making a threat to assault someone when I was a teenager in high school and I had to see a judge who ultimately gave me community service. I completely understand why too. Nobody has a right to make threats of physical harm against anyone. Freedom of speech is ultimately a right. This is a paradox for me. I can see both sides of the fence and agree with both as well.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by RichieScott1]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
It amazes me how some people are so willing to give up their rights and freedoms. How many times has anyone reading this post said in anger or otherwise "I'm gonna kill that S.O.B.?"
I'd like to know who this guys lawyer was so I can avoid hiring IT if I ever get in trouble.
On a lighter note:
Theres a small plane flying across the ocean. Onboard there is a Biker, a Frenchman and a Lawyer. The biker has with him a ton on weed. The Frenchman has 30 cases of expensive wine and the Lawyer has several heavy boxes of very important legal papers. The pilot comes on over the speakers and tells the three men that the plane is going to crash in the ocean if they don't lighten the load of the cargo.
The Frenchman stands up and says "Viva la France" and throws out all the cases of expensive wine.
The lawyer stands up and says "To life, Liberty and Justice" and throws out all of his boxes of important legal papers.
The biker stands up and looks lovingly at his pile of Chronic skunk buds and says "God bless America" and throws the lawyer out of the plane.
Oh lighten up it's only a joke.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by RichieScott1

Well, it is essentially a form of verbal assault.

Assault indicates damage or harm. Can damage or harm come from words? Maybe. One can argue that words can hurt feelings, cause fear, they can be used to persuade others to commit unlawful acts.

So maybe we should all support the incarceration of this individual due to the fact that he inflicted fear on someone. It may also be argued he was trying to use his speech to persuade others to commit unlawful acts.

However if we are going to support his incarceration for the reason listed above then aren't many of the post on this board of the same nature? Aren't the words of Ron Paul or Alex Jones of the same nature? What is the difference?

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kenton1234

"God bless America" and throws the lawyer out of the plane.

Careful. With this new precedent your joke is unlawful. You are advocating violence against lawyers.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

I think what is actually 'making' the prosecutor's case is the fact that the guy had recent interaction with two police officers, and they are saying the lyrics were directly towards the two officers. Not necessarily all cops in general.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by NRA4ever333

if any of you think a legal precedent was set about your first amendment rights then you're sorely mistaken. maybe a precedent within a precedent about music in particular, but what difference would that make?

wake up, seriously.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moodle
reply to post by fraterormus

he can have all the rights he wants from jail. you would change your tune in a heartbeat if someone was threatening you on a record.

i'm gonna get joe smith gonna pop his brains
goin to 1500 south st and gonna run a train

but somehow it's ok to threaten cops right? would it be ok to go to a cop's face and tell him your'e going to kill him?

ignorant bleeding heart half hippie wanna bes. i hope the NWO rules over you for the next 1000 generations.

Really? The NWO for the next 1000 generations? I think you should just take a deep breath and think about what you said. If you still feel that way by tomorrow then I feel saddened by your lack of vision.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichieScott1
reply to post by harvib

I think what is actually 'making' the prosecutor's case is the fact that the guy had recent interaction with two police officers, and they are saying the lyrics were directly towards the two officers. Not necessarily all cops in general.

I don't see what difference that would make.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

I am simply speculating here. I have no way of knowing the exact details that warranted this case.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by RichieScott1]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
so many comments, so little time.

let me start by saying that every single one of you is defending a convicted coc aine salesman that has an afinity for killing cops.

are you all humanitarians, or idiots?

not only are you defending a crackhead (at least a dealer, probably a user, add a wild assumption to your list of things you don't like about me) you are doing it in spite of me and only to fit in with something given to you by the MSM which you self propose of being aware of.

tell me something, if discrimination is bad then maybe we should all wear blind folds when we go to the grocery store while shopping. maybe we should back our cars up to garbage dumps and load up with furniture. maybe we should use human tendons as guitar strings and child semen for toothpaste.

wow, maybe we should realize that we have brains and memories for a reason! maybe convicted crackheads that talk about killing cops is a no no. uh oh, would that start a slippery slope? if we arrested all crackheads would we not feel warm and fuzzy about what kind of society we're growing up in?

WHO WOULD BE NEXT?@?@!?! IT WOULD BE TOTAL MADNESS!!! the streets would fill up with non criminals DEMANDING that we have more crackheads.

nah, let's just let the criminals talk about whatever they want over mass communication devices and get paid for it. that sounds like the kind of freedom that i want!

oh, and while we're at it why not start up a radio station that hosts convicts from state pens all over the country everday to discuss their political and ethical values.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by Moodle]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Moodle

First, I don't know this man or what he did. He could be a dealer, a user, or none of the above. If you get caught in a car with coc aine and nobody says anything everyone in the car gets charged. Not saying thats what happened to this man, but just an example. Or maybe he is a dealer or user, whatever thats irrelavent.

Second, this man didn't physically kill anyone(as far as I know pertaining to the story). And if he would have been in any situation where the police and DA would have believed him to be part of something like that he would have been charged with murder or some sort of murder conspiracy charge.

Third, this wasn't found on msnbc.com or cnn.com. I don't know if they reported this or anything like this but I highly doubt it. I found this story on a hip hop website that I would not call Msm. A website that actually had an editor write a piece about hearing about the obama anti-christ conspiracies(If I remember correctly they just dismissed it, but neverless).

Forth, I find discrimination to be based on fear. Now by you confessing your blatant discrimination I find you to be scared. Not scared of people in power taking away your rights (not suprising for someone who said he hoped the NWO would rule over us for thousands of years) but scared of different people and cultures that beliefs don't fit in with your own. Also, when you started talking about child sperm and guitar strings you sounded like an idiot.

What this is about is not whether we approve of what this man says but whether we approve of his right to say it...And I do.

You said we should just lock all drug users up? Think about the simple fact that when you add in to the equation the amount of people addicted to prescription drugs to the already large amount of people that use "illegal" drugs I highly doubt you would find more than a handful of families in america that wouldn't be affected by this, someway or somehow.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Moodle

let me start by saying that every single one of you is defending a convicted coc aine salesman that has an afinity for killing cops.

I am actually defending my right to free speech. I hope you can understand how defending another's rights is defending your own.

nah, let's just let the criminals talk about whatever they want over mass communication devices and get paid for it. that sounds like the kind of freedom that i want!

It is going to take more then some "criminal talking about about whatever they want" to get me to support further restrictions on "free" speech. I wish more felt the same way.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Tool definitely said it best in Hush
'I cant say what I want to, even if Im not serious
Go # yourself
you piece of # why dont ya go kill yourself
I cant say what I want to even if... Im just kidding!'

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   

First, I don't know this man or what he did. . Or maybe he is a dealer or user, whatever thats irrelavent.

then next time you should read an article before dropping your 2 cents in. also, head to teh nearest police station and kindly tell them how being a drug dealer is irrelevant.

Second, this man didn't physically kill anyone(as far as I know pertaining to the story). And if he would have been in any situation where the police and DA would have believed him to be part of something like that he would have been charged with murder or some sort of murder conspiracy charge.

thank you captain obvious. that's why we're talking about free speech and not murder.

Third, this wasn't found on msnbc.com or cnn.com. I don't know if they reported this or anything like this but I highly doubt it. I found this story on a hip hop website that I would not call Msm. A website that actually had an editor write a piece about hearing about the obama anti-christ conspiracies(If I remember correctly they just dismissed it, but neverless).

not anywhere near the point i was making. but hey, there's never a bad time to drop a shameless obama plug.

Forth, I find discrimination to be based on fear. Now by you confessing your blatant discrimination I find you to be scared. Not scared of people in power taking away your rights (not suprising for someone who said he hoped the NWO would rule over us for thousands of years) but scared of different people and cultures that beliefs don't fit in with your own. Also, when you started talking about child sperm and guitar strings you sounded like an idiot.

discrimination is a vital tool to human success. if you can't cope with that then maybe you should check out. tell me what culture holds crack smoking cop killers up high? why don't you go back to your closet and masterbate some more. whenever you get teh slightest whiff of reality come back and tell us all about your right to remain willfully ignorant.

What this is about is not whether we approve of what this man says but whether we approve of his right to say it...And I do.

this is the same as teh "support the troops" argument. this type of talk comes out of people's mouths that have spent .0005 microseconds contemplating the real world. YOU DON'T HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!! how many times does it have to be said. TAKE A GOVERNMENT CLASS RETARD. the government is not made of robots that respond to stimulus. it is REAL PEOPLE that have to make decisions.

you will never have complete freedom of speech. you never have and you never will and you never SHOULD have it.

You said we should just lock all drug users up? Think about the simple fact that when you add in to the equation the amount of people addicted to prescription drugs to the already large amount of people that use "illegal" drugs I highly doubt you would find more than a handful of families in america that wouldn't be affected by this, someway or somehow.

hmm, let's see. if i said skin cancer was bad would you accuse me of trying to destroy the sun? if i said hurricanes were bad would you say that i'm suggesting we remove the atmosphere? you're a child, and you have not put any thought into what your'e saying. you're simply making childish responses to questions that are bigger than your little brain can handle.

[edit on 2-8-2009 by Moodle]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join