It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spider Monkeys Invent Medicated Body Scratcher

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Spider Monkeys Invent Medicated Body Scratcher

dsc.discovery.com

July 31, 2009 -- Wild spider monkeys now have a new tool under their proverbial belt: a body scratcher that may release medicinal compounds, according to a study published in the latest issue of the journal Primates.

The study is the first to report this spider monkey scratcher. Lead author Stacy Lindshield told Discovery News that two other instances of the use of objects as tools by the social monkeys have been documented.

"Spider monkeys have been observed rubbing crushed and chewed leaves on their bodies," said Lindshield, a researcher in Iowa State University's Ecology and Evolut
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This is a very interesting discovery. We've seen primates use other "tools" before...but medicine, WOW!!!! Just goes to show that our evolutionary distant relatives have a larger capacity to figure out solutions to their problems than most give them credit for...makes me wonder if the human race were wiped off the Earth, which one of the primates would take over the niche atop the intelligent food chain.

Enjoy!

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 31-7-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

I saw an yellow spider monkey about three weeks ago in Copenhagem wierd looking thing..

Funny how they use the tail as an arm or leg.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Im sure we already know about this,i can't find the video on youtube as i can't remember what the documentary was called.But it showed chimps chewing up a leaf and putting it on a wound.They tested it and found it had antibacterial and analgesic properties...they aint stupid thats for sure.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0f15f0eb6cda.jpg[/atsimg]

Paging Dr. zaius...to the ER stat

Cheesy, yes! But I couldn't resist.

top topics

join