It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your ideas about faeries...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I don't just mean pretty mini-girls in dresses and wings... I mean the different "breeds"- for example, nymphs, brownies, devas, salamandas, drakes, Wiskies, ect. I have a book called "A Faerie Treasury" by Jacky Newcomb, and weather or not they exist, I find the book interesting. So, do you belive in them? Have any ideas about them? Had any experiences with them?

[edit on 8-5-2009 by William One Sac]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I often wonder whether all the different faerie creatures are just aliens visiting. In the past most people did not consider this a possibilty or even imagine it so they just gave them different names. We call them aliens now but they called them faerie creatures. This would also explain some of the magical powers there are supposed to have.

CX

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I have lived the past 12 years with constant talk of fairies due to my two daughters. It has been a big part of my life, including some of the work i do.

As for whether they exist, there are many people in this world that will swear that they have seen fairies or "little people". They will swear this as sincerely as someone who says they believe in God. These are not just kids, but professional adults too.

Fairy sightings

I've read threads here before about fairies, it makes me chuckle that there are people out there that can believe in God's they can't see, but won't entertain the possibility of there being creatures like us, only a lot smaller.

CX.

[edit on 31/7/09 by CX]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Faeries?

really? We've gone past deities to fairys?

hmm. ok. well like sasquatch, or the latest thread about a 'Goatman". Don't you think we'd of noticed it by now, widely?

Fairys do not exist, there not real, please! Please expand elsewhere.

CX_ you honestly truely doubt a divine being in the world over a god creating it all?

Please tell me i've read it wrong.

both are wrong honestly.
Yet it seems you believ fairys over gods? Thats crazy, it's like believing in manbearpig over aliens we've never met!

But manbearpig is on earth.

Hence, I feel peterpan has met ATS!

CX

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Fairys do not exist, there not real, please! Please expand elsewhere.

CX_ you honestly truely doubt a divine being in the world over a god creating it all?

both are wrong honestly.

Lol i knew someone would say that.

In all fairness, i never said i believe in fairies, i said my daughters do, as do many other people.

I can't see how you can say they don't exist any more than a God does?

Unless you have seen either of these for yourself, and have undeniable proof of their existance, nobody can say that they don't exist. Then again nobody can say they do either.

Proof has yet to be provided for fairies, but there are many personal experiences of people saying they've seen them. How is this any different from aliens or God?

I'll close my mind to all possibilities of fairies and other creatures existing, when someone shows me undeniable proof that God exists.

CX.

[edit on 31/7/09 by CX]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crying-Lightning
I don't just mean pretty mini-girls in dresses and wings... I mean the different "breeds"- for example, nymphs, brownies, devas, salamandas, drakes, Wiskies, ect. I have a book called "A Faerie Treasury" by Jacky Newcomb, and weather or not they exist, I find the book interesting. So, do you belive in them? Have any ideas about them? Had any experiences with them?

Yeah i wish they were real, I was a quest to find out about them in my mid-twenties, but didn't come up with anything. I even tried summoning them with treats and ringing a bell and what not, but it did not work. So I never had any real experiences with faeries, just believed in them, and now I have come to conclusion that they do not exist, which I find very sad.

I do have to lean towards alien visitations and faeries, mainly, people a long time ago supposedly saw angels, and chariots of gold and what not, all supposedly believed to be UFO's and aliens.

So yes as a kid i believed in all the fantasy stuff, and now realizing it wasn't real. It's okay I still read stuff about faeries, and i love Brian Froud, so not everything is lost!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysticalzoe

Originally posted by Crying-Lightning

Yeah i wish they were real, I was a quest to find out about them in my mid-twenties, but didn't come up with anything. I even tried summoning them with treats and ringing a bell and what not, but it did not work. So I never had any real experiences with faeries, just believed in them, and now I have come to conclusion that they do not exist, which I find very sad.

Maybe it's just that you can't see them, but managed to attract them ect. If you lay down in the centre of a mushroom ring and place a sprig of thyme on your eyes, that's said to open your "faerie eyes." Also, carrying an image of or floxglove with you should really invite them in. Have you tried going to an area where the trees oak, ash and hawthorn all grow? Because it's said that that would be the best faerie habitat and the greatest chance you'd have of seeing faeries. What kind of food have you tried leaving them? Honey, cake, bread and apple would be amogst the most popular with faeries. Also, they may have taken the food- faeries don't eat in a way that lets you see the food is physically gone, they take it to their realm in form of "essence"- back to their realm.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I have a theory that all of the sightings of "otherworldly beings", ie aliens, ghosts, faeries, angels, etc. are actually sightings of the same phenomenon as viewed through different cultural filters. Call them what you will, but there have been sightings of things all over the world and all through time. As far as us noticing them? Well, from what I hear, they have been noticed but ignored by many because they don't fit into nice little niches of scientific dogma. For all we know, they could be manifestations of another universe that sits close to ours in that wonderful froth predicted by M theory. In whatever guise they are described, I feel that these things do exist in some context. Whether or not they are of our universe and, thus, provable by scientific means, it still up for debate.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It's quite possible that fairies are simply butterflies or moths that look unusual when the light shines on them in a certain way. The human mind is programmed to pick up familiar images and it's possible that's all they are.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zoopedia
It's quite possible that fairies are simply butterflies or moths that look unusual when the light shines on them in a certain way. The human mind is programmed to pick up familiar images and it's possible that's all they are.

That may explain "victorian" type faeries, like Tinkerbell, but most Faeries are described as nothing like those.

The Red Cap or Faer Derig is a type of faerie who looks like a small man with a blood red hat who likes to eat raw meat. He will content himself with just drinking the blood of his victim if disturbed.

The Bogle is a creature that seems to have no physical form but appears as a taunting voice from somewhere just out sight.

The Sluagh are faeries that are alternately described as lost souls of unbaptized humans or faeries who temp humans into committing evil acts.

The Tuatha De Dannan (Loosely translated means " People of Knowledge") were a race of people associated with faeries in Ireland. They were one of the "first" peoples of the island and, according to legend, had advanced cybernetics and medical technology. Legend also says that they arrived in Irland "upon great storm clouds".

The Ghillie Dhu is a "wild man" faerie that is alternately described as being dressed in woven leaves or with matted hair covering his body. He is said to be kind to children but very shy around adults. As an interesting bit of etymology, the modern "Ghillie suit" worn by snipers, is named for these faeries.

As you can see, Faeries are many and varied. In fact, in Irish folklore alone, one can find descriptions of things that sound like Norse aliens, Bigfoot, Ghosts or shadow people and even chupacabras.

The Victorian Faerie is a quite recent invention mostly popularized by Disney. Those are rarely described before the mid 1800s.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Im gonna seem a little hypocritical here since I hate the ridiculous Vamp and Zombie threads that start up in here on a regular cycle. But I do believe in faeries, and while i dont class them as cryptozoological i guess this is the closest place you could stick em...

Ok that sounds silly, however...

There are quite a few cases going back hundreds of years and eye witness accounts of people seeing 'little' people, and not midgets but actual under a foot well proportioned humans.

Cant remember the site I was on a few years back that had a number of modern sighting accounts on it, quite believable. And not the 'fantasy' pointy hats and dancing in the moonlight kind with butterfly wings, more like hunters finding barefoot childrens and infant sized footprints in riverbeds or even seeing tiny people in animal skins.

Also remember that case of them finding that mummified mini human in that mine somewhere in mexico (i think) they had it on one of those paranormal documentary shows during the 90's (forgotten its name, wasnt 'Sightings', had the guy who played detectives on TV in the 70's as the host). Was an interesting find since the little human was supposedly killed by being struck on the head (although the skeptics claimed it was just an Indian infant that had been left in the cave after it had died from being born without a brain (or most of one).

So count me as one that believes in little people, just not in the magical sense or any magical capacity. Given the ability for the human body to go from size extreme to size extreme its very much possible that in some distant past a group of extremely small, but functional humans evolved, and survived.

point in case

Your a biggun!

[edit on 2-8-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Crying-Lightning

Nothing more than mushroom created hallucinations.
en.wikipedia.org...
They are traditionally associated with red capped mushrooms with white spots.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Faeries are as good a thing to believe in as anything else and I clap my hands at all none believers to prevent your harsh words from killing them off.

To those who love faeries I recommend Martin Millar's The Good Fairies of New York. It is definately different, novel wise, a good read.

www.softskull.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I am sure that all sorts of things exist and who are we to say that they don't?

Humans are so arrogant, demanding proof of everything and saying if they can't prove something exists that it doesn't.

Quoting the bard:

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

I think that says it all and covers UFOs, fairies and everything else.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

I think you have read it wrong. He may mean, though I too could be wrong, that surely when it comes to imaginary friends one is as good as the other, they all require a flight of fancy or a suspension of disbelief. I find faeries less intrusive than most imaginary beings and I have never heard any stories of faeries smiting anyone. Wouldn't you rather your child's imagination was fired by little people flying around caring for nature, than of a omniscient being who only acts in judgement of those it created? Plus, one does not preclude the other, but I feel faeries are better for the development of a healthy imagination rather than a fearful one.

CX

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpacePunk

en.wikipedia.org...

A very interestinmg concept, thanks for bring it up. This was discussed in depth in another ATS thread a while back.

That would not work though in the majority of sightings where mushrooms were not involved.

I have to sort a roast dinner out with the kids, but i'll pop back in later to add a bit more to this.

CX.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
i really can't say whether i believe or not, but, as with most things, i keep my mind open to the possibility that they could. there are certainly enough stories about them to indicate that people were experiencing SOMETHING out of the ordinary. my friend's father, a college professor, spent a great deal of time studying faeries, and seems to believe in them. he became such an avid reader about faeries, he even gave his daughter one of the many names used for faeries, Fay.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Originally posted by SpacePunk

en.wikipedia.org...

A very interestinmg concept, thanks for bring it up. This was discussed in depth in another ATS thread a while back.

That would not work though in the majority of sightings where mushrooms were not involved.

I have to sort a roast dinner out with the kids, but i'll pop back in later to add a bit more to this.

CX.

Do you know what's really interesting? (This is completely factual) Shamans in Lapland feed their reindeer those red-white capped mushrooms (fly agaric) you're talking about. Red and white together has a lot of universal symbolism: the polarities of male and female, the power of creation, union of opposites, the joining of heaven and earth. The Arctic Shamans and healers, as well as those today, used to wear red and white too, often in polka dots. The wetern image of Father Christmas retains this symbolizm, dressed in red and white, with his sleigh of reindeers, with his magic acts of bringing gifts to people in winter.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I am definitely not a fairy-believer (although, as in all things, I try to keep my mind open), but thought some people here might find this NYT article interesting:

Building in Iceland? Clear it with the elves first

It's interesting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join